Complaint Review: Discount Tire

• Updated: Mon, August 06, 2012

• Reported By: militarymom — corinth Texas United States of America
Discount Tire
7700 I35E Corinth, Texas United States of America

Discount Tire Absolutely refused to put my new tires on the front of my vehicle??!! Corinth, Texas

*Consumer Comment: Agreeing with lt92

*General Comment: New or best on rear!!

*General Comment: Wrong

I had the same problem as others have had with Discount Tire refusing to put the new tires on the front.  I was told it was "Industry Standard" as well.  I tried to explain I wanted the new tires to go on the front, had a front end alignment three days prior, also had some rear end corrections adding shims to align the car correctly, and did not want the back tires on front because any wear patterns would only continue, and wear out sooner.  The salesman just looked at me and said we put the new tires on the back.

I had researched before I went back in and most had agreed the new tires should go on the front. (Discount Tire  had put the tires on in the morning, and as I was driving to work that evening, my car was vibrating something fierce, and called to see if they balanced the tires.) Then I was informed the new tires were on the BACK!  I said, no!  I didn't want the new tires on the back, and my mechanic had informed me to be prepared for this to happen.  The gentleman I spoke with at Discount Tire said, a mechanic wouldn't know, only those who work with tires would know it was a safety issue.

(My mechanic has been in business for years, fully licensed, insured, and state certified, and the technicians are ASE certified. I know at least one is a master mechanic, and believe it or not, they are very honest, or have been with me.  There were times in the past I asked them, "out of all the things I need done, what do I have to do to keep this vehicle running, and they told me, and worked with me, knowing I was a single mother with two children, and had to have a vehicle to work!)

I thought WOW, what an insult!  I went in the next morning to talk to the guy who sold me the tires, and explained, I wanted the new tires on the front not the back, and the issues I had with the alignment.  He then gave me two new front tires to correct the problem.  I looked at him in amazement, I couldn't believe he wouldn't just put the tires on the front, and thought to myself, this is going to cost this company so much money to insist the new tires go on the back.  I'm not stupid, I realize these guys are doing what they are instructed to do.

They are hard working people, this is not an easy job!  It's hot, they are full of grease, hands beat up, working as fast as they can, I really feel for these guys, it's not an easy job, and probably for not a whole lot of money too.  I just said to him, I'm sorry it has to be this way, but the only reason you have come up with to insist the new tires go on the back is in case you hydroplane, it's best to have more tread on back.  Never mind you loose your steering on front and I came up with at least five other reasons as to why it would be better to put the new tires on the front.

I said, I feel my safety is being jeopardized more by putting the new tires on the back.  He said, it's soon to be a nation wide standard, that all new tires will be put on the back of the vehicle.  I said, I think the tire industry is fooling the public, ultimately forcing them to have to buy new tires sooner than they would have had to, and ladies and gentlemen, this is just another example of how our rights and freedoms are being taken away from us and we really need to wake up!!

I'm basically being told yes, you have to buy new tires to keep your vehicle running, however, we will tell you how they will be used, not you, because we know best, even though all the mechanical evidence of how a car operates doesn't matter!  Just take your free tires and go away.  I wasn't happy at all with the fact they gave me two new tires for free, because I felt I didn't need them, I only needed them to put the new ones on the front of the car, and I would come back when the rear tires needed to be replaced.  This whole incident is very disturbing to me. :(

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/03/2012 08:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Tire/Corinth-Texas-/Discount-Tire-Absolutely-refused-to-put-my-new-tires-on-the-front-of-my-vehicle-Corin-922261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Tire

Agreeing with lt92

AUTHOR: honkalicious_198 - (United States of America)

Lt 92 if you take the time to read my comment you will see I was saying the same thing New tires always go on the rear. I said her safety is only at risk with new tires on the front.

#2 General Comment

New or best on rear!!

AUTHOR: Lt92 - (United States of America)

Hello, I know you think you and your certified mechanic are right, but Your both absolutely wrong!!! There are millions of dollars in lawsuits against this! New or best tires have to be on the rear. Google new tires on the rear, everyone agrees with it, the tire guys were trying to protect you and your family as well as mine also on the road! They gave you two tires for FREE! If they were trying to rip you off they wouldn't have gave you FREE tires! They were looking out for you! You should be thanking them. Some people have to let people trust them they are experts at that, not your or your mechanic. If he were certified in tires/wheels he would of told you to put them on the rear.

ttp://www.oreillylaw.com/blog/2010/05/only-buying-two-new-tires-put-them-on-the-back.shtmlNS

http://www.google.com/url? sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CFgQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2F www.feldmanshepherd.com%2Fverdicts-settlements.php%3Faction%3Dview&id%3D123&ei=g0sfUPv3KInwiw KO2YD4Cg&usg=AFQjCNHJ445GIit5Nl2wFMwweB71NbCfxg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CGMQFjAI&url= http%3A%2F%2Fwww.the-houston-accident-attorney.com%2F2010%2F08% 2F27%2Ftexas-tire-dealer-named-in-wrongful-death-lawsuit%2F&ei=g0sfUPv3KInwiwKO2YD4Cg&usg =AFQjCNEin92JuFg9NZZ2NG4jspZvOcQ-vQ

#3 General Comment

Wrong

AUTHOR: honkalicious_198 - (United States of America)

Your safety is only in jeopardy so long as you put new tires on the front of your car. The reason behind this is, if you are driving in heavy rain  and curving the tires with less tread have tendency to lift "float" while you will be able to feel the front tires begin to lose traction and adjust your speed, however if the worn out tires are on the back of the vehicle in the same heavy rain curvy conditions. by the time you begin to notice your rear tires have lost traction you are already in an unrecoverable fishtail.

Have you ever had a rear tire blowout vs a front, that experience alone will have you putting new tires on the rear.