Complaint Review: Discount Tire

• Reported By: Tired of Getting Ripped Off — Plano Texas
Discount Tire
1901 Dallas Pkwy Plano, Texas USA

Discount Tire Installed Cheaper Tires than I Ask and Paid For Plano Texas

I went to this west Plano 75093 location because of the good reviews. Now I will never do business with ANY Discount Tire ever again.

September 2013. I went on the Discount Tire website to see and price tires. I decided to buy four Michelin Primacy MXV4 V-rated for $131 each. Note: At the time I looked the Michelin Primacy MXV4 came in two types, V rated for $131 and H rated for $121. I printed the page of the $131 V-rated tire to give to DT to eliminate any confusion about which tire I wanted. The website showed they had the 4 Michelin Primacy MXV4 V-rated in stock. Several other DT stores in the area showed they also had them in stock.

When I got to DT I handed the DT guy my printed copy of the web page for the "$131 Michelin Primacy MXV4 V-rated Tire" from the Discount Tire website, and told him I wanted 4 of these and he verified he had them in stock. I went across the street to a mall while waiting for my car. After coming back and paying, when I was leaving, I decided to inspect the tires before driving off. They had installed the H-rated tires and charged me for the V-rated tires. The receipt did not indicate V or H but I was charged for the V. I thought it was a mistake and went back into Discount Tire and told the DT guy they put the wrong tires on my car.

He insisted that they were out of the V-rated, in spite of telling me he had them in stock when I arrived, and not saying anything to me, or adjusting the bill for the cheaper tire. I asked him why didn't you tell me before switching to H-rated? He said a message was left on my cell phone, but the only message I had was DT telling me my car was ready to pick up. I then asked him why didn't you let me go to another DT location as there were 3 or 4 other locations that had the V-rated in stock? He told me all those tires are being "held for other customers".

I told him to either put the V-rated tires on that I requested and paid for, or put my old tires back on and I'll go somewhere else. He then insisted that he would get the V-rated tires "next week" and call me, and that I can drive on the H-rated set until he gets the V-rated in. This week I got a call from DT and I went back and got the correct V-rated tires put on.

But there's more, the shadiness didn't stop there. On the V-rated replacement tires I checked the manufacture dates and 3 of the tires had matching dates and one tire was 4 months newer than the other 3. The single newer tire had the green stripes on the tread indicating the tire is brand new, and other 3 (with matching dates) tires no longer had the green stripes on the tread. The green stripes already worn off the tread on 3 of these tires indicates that these 3 tires were slightly used already, and were probably someone else's returned tires.

I now suspect my "new" set of V-rated tires is really one brand new tire and three slightly used returned tires. I didn't mention this to DT because I am sick of DT and don't want to deal with them anymore. And I'm over it as long as the tires are good. By the way the original (wrong) H-rated set I was given all had the green stripes indicating all brand new tires.

When I got on the freeway with the "new" V-rated tires, I noticed my car was pulling to the left. It was a moderate/severe radial pull. I tested it at different speeds and it pulled at all speeds, getting worse the faster the car went. The car never pulled before until the new V's were installed. The original set of wrongly installed H=rated tires were all tracking perfectly.

Before going back to DT again, I switched the two front tires and now it's not pulling anymore and seems to be tracking correctly. From now on it's order new tires online, or go to (((competitor's name redacted))) where I can pick out my own tires myself, and have them installed elsewhere. At least I know what tires I'm actually getting that way and won't get cheated again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/12/2014 07:30 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Discount-Tire/Plano-Texas-75093/Discount-Tire-Installed-Cheaper-Tires-than-I-Ask-and-Paid-For-Plano-Texas-1115014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Discount Tire