Complaint Review: DISH Network

• Submitted: Mon, November 26, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, December 24, 2007

• Reported By:Janesville Minnesota
DISH Network
9601 South Meridian Blvd Littleton, Colorado U.S.A.

DISH Network Illegal Installation, Damaged Property, Pathetic Customer Service, Lame Excuses Littleton Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Possible Resolution

*UPDATE Employee: Confused

*Consumer Suggestion: wrong

*Consumer Suggestion: Here is what you need to do, and who you need to talk to.

*Author of original report: Response to Rebuttals

*Author of original report: Update to Original Report and the Rebuttal 11-30-07

*UPDATE Employee: Seems kind of fishy to me...

What a Happy Thanksgiving it WASN'T when we returned home from out of town to find that DISH network had put up DISH for our renting tenants, while nobody was home.

DISH policy is supposedly that a note of permission MUST be written by the building owners, AND someone 18 or older must be home BEFORE they can do the installation. We never wrote the letter of permission, and neither ourselves nor the tenants were home during the installation which took place ON Thanksgiving.

Our tenants were upset; they'd left the door unlocked for a late arriving relative, and were just a few houses down having their Thanksgiving. The first phone call they received from DISH was from the techs who told them they were done and had left already, but that the picture was working fine. Leaving the door unlocked, while NOT wise, is not uncommon in this small town; many people do it. The tenants were very disconcerted that the DISH contractors entered their home without anyone being present.

When we got home, we found that the dish had been attached to the chimney, and not the antenna utility pole on the property. The chimney is not solid, and is a problematic source of leaks in the winter, causing roof damage. After about $7,500 dollars and several touch ups, we have finally made the roof secure, and now that's been jeopardized because the installers just put the dish wherever they wanted. The fact that they drilled multiple holes in the chimney and attached the DISH means problems for us later on, and we haven't checked the rubber roofing for other tears or damage by their carelessness.

The contractors cut holes in the walls, and once inside, they ran the cable along the wall, putting more holes in the wallboard to secure the cable, and then drilling another hole in another wall, this one drywall, and running the cable down the wall and across a 15' expanse of floor. We have a false ceiling over there, with a good foot and a half of space. There is NO reason the cable couldn't have been run above the tiles, other than laziness and stupidity, as well as there is no reason for the holes drilled in the wall.

The DISH contractors also cut our personal cable running from the antenna, a cable that was CLEARLY going into a separate residence. There was absolutely NO reason for the cable to have been cut. It was clean cut, but in a way that it is now so short, it keeps pulling out of the booster.

I love standing outside in 30 degree weather while 8 months pregnant trying to put the damn cable back into the antenna booster while my husband is at work, just so I can watch what 5 channels we currently get.

We called DISH and got the most absurd runaround and the most pathetic customer service treatment ever. We spoke to two supervisors, one who "accidentally" hung up on us. We were also hung up on while being transferred to a supervisor. And just forget about getting the same supervisor when you call back...nobody knows who you spoke with, and if they do, that person is M.I.A., or can't take the call, and that's only IF the customer service rep doesn't refuse to transfer you to a supervisor in the first place.

Everybody refused to talk to us because we are not the account holders. It doesn't matter that we don't want account information, we just want to get this settled. It doesn't matter that they did an illegal installation without permission or anyone being on site, or that they damaged our property. They refused to give us the names of the local contractors, and more or less laughed at us when we said we are going to file a police report.

Our third call of the night, WITH our tenants on the phone with us, did little more to help. Our tenant is unhappy with how things worked out as well, and he is very willing to try and get this resolved, even giving us permission to deal with this on their account; apparently, that doesn't matter to DISH either, as they still claim (even after speaking to the tenant) that they can't deal with us directly because we are not account holders.

They are supposedly having their techs call the account owner ASAP today to deal with this matter, and our tenant then has to give them our number, again, even though he gave them permission to deal with us on the account. It is after noon now, and there has been no call, and honestly, I'm not holding my breath.

I emailed the customer service people, asking for the corporate info so I can take it up with them directly. They so very politely told me that they'd love to help, but they need my account number. I reiterated that I very clearly explained the situation to them, in written words, and the fact that they still couldn't understand that we are the building OWNERS and do not have an account with them and that that fact doesn't negate the damage they've done means I'm not speaking to anyone who knows what the Hell they are doing. It also makes no sense that they can only release their corporate address and number to just those holding an account. What a load of crap.

We are not account holders, and people, let me tell ya, we never will be now, even though we had been considering it. We've even cancelled the plans to give DISH as a Christmas gift to my parents. While I'm sure not every single person who works at DISH are lying incompetents, we figure, why take the chance. We'll save my folks the headache, and make sure that DISH loses another customer in the process.

I am saving all documentation, and noting all phone calls made and who we've spoke with, but this is beyond ridiculous. If we do not see a contractor today, we are filing a police report and sending it plus a written complaint to corporate, and, while I doubt it will do much good since we don't know the local contractors who did this, we are serious about following up on this matter.

We put a lot of time and money we didn't have into remodeling that apartment, and in just a few short minutes, DISH techs trespassed, entered an empty residence (breaking and entering, possibly?) installed a dish without the building owner's approval or without someone being present during the work, they damaged the building, drilled holes where there shouldn't be, and cut several other cables, including an antenna cable into our residence for NO reason.

For anyone else suffering with these people, I have found on other sites that basically the only hope in most cases is to reach someone in "Executive Escalations" at 303-723-1000. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 1-800 #, and basically, I'm sure this is just another call center, however, I believe it is the one in Littleton, CO at the corporate office, so hopefully they'll be able to do a bit more than give you pathetic excuses with no foundation, and then hang up on you when you question them.

Good luck to all who have to deal with DISH; you'll need every bit of patience you have, and then it still won't be enough. I hope someone can hit them where it counts, because at this point, everything is just a joke to them. And if you ask me, that includes their "policies" and their customer service.

Kelly
Janesville, Minnesota

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Dish Network

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2007 11:32 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DISH-Network/Littleton-Colorado-56048/DISH-Network-Illegal-Installation-Damaged-Property-Pathetic-Customer-Service-Lame-Excus-286790. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DISH Network

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Possible Resolution

AUTHOR: Teresa - (U.S.A.)

Since no one was home during installation and Dish Network does not have documentation of the installation, then I don't see how they can bill you (the renters). In most cases the contract is signed when installation is done so you can't be held under contract since no one was there to sign it. With no record of the installation you have just gotten a lot of free equipment delivered to your rental property. Do you see what I'm getting at.

If your renters get a bill, have them call or you call Dish Network and ask them why you are getting a bill when they have no record of any installation. Since the installers called your renters and told them that the picture was good, they also had to activate the service. If they have a record of activation they must have gotten someone's name. Play their own game and use their incompetence against them.

Also here's a number for K. Scoytt Diaz (Dispute Resolution Specialist) at Dish Network's Executive Offices 720-514-7312. Executive Offices 720-514-7939. K. Scott Diaz email address (Kenneth.diaz@echostar.com).
Somebody there should be able to help you.

Remember there more than likely was never a contract signed, so don't let them try to hold a contract over your head. I know what you are going through with these people. I filed with the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs who helped me get what I was promised. Forget Dish Network's customer service. You'll get nowhere with them. If the phone numbers I gave you don't help, my next step would be to go straight to a lawyer. You have a no lose law suit. Good Luck!

Confused

AUTHOR: Mattfast1 - (U.S.A.)

Paul, when did ANYONE ever say (in this thread) that a renter had the right to "deface the owners property with PRODUCT ADDITIONS without owner permission"? I don't recall seeing that anywhere in anyone's rebuttals. Curygirl is correct on most of her information, ESPECIALLY where she said "if your tenant signed up for DISH through a direct retail company or installer, then DISH will have nothing to do with the issue". DISH has no control over what those outside retailers do and don't do in their day-to-day practices, which is where the majority of their complaints come from.

However, DISH would still have evidence in the system of the installation, as one of the first notes on the acct will have the installer's company (and occasionally, even name), phone number, and there will be a completed work order in the system with install date set for "99/99/9999 8AM-12PM" that will have more info about what was actually installed within. So if your tenants dealt with a retailer, there should still be evidence in the system of who that retailer is.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

wrong

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

Actually no renter has a right to deface the owners property with PRODUCT ADDITIONS without owner permission.

adding cable or satelite without owner approval is clearly illegal in some areas and it is both the tennent and dish who are liable.

both can be sued for not obtaining proper authorizations.

In this case ..DISH can be sued bigtime..

Btw, I did it myself a long time ago and won a good chunk of $$ and have been cable (cox) ever since...and will never go contract or sat either one ever again.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Here is what you need to do, and who you need to talk to.

AUTHOR: Curygirl - (U.S.A.)

First, you need to know if the tech who installed on your property was an internal technician or a subcontractor. To do that, the account needs to be pulled up (preferably by the local office, NOT the CSC) and the work order history reviewed.

Either way, a damage claim will be opened by the CORORATE FIELD RESOLUTIONS team. The Cust Service Center can transfer you there. Call 800-333-DISH, press 0#0#0#, get to an agent, tell them you have an open damage claim and you want to speak to Corporate Field Resolutions right away.

The claim information will be sent to the local office, including the general manager, installation manager, and all of the field service managers, and it will be assigned to an agent.

If the work was done by a subcontractor, then it will be sent to the manager/owner of that company to contact you.

If the work was done by an internal tech, then the managers for the local office will contact you within 48 business hours.

If the sub does not contact you, call the agent assigned to you to follow up. They will pull your claim internally and have the LSC investigate.

Photos will be taken, the work QA'd, and a determination reached.

Now, there is one third possibility: if your tenant signed up for DISH through a direct retail company or installer, then DISH will have nothing to do with the issue. The work would have been contracted by the tenant at his own discretion, there would be no evidence of a work order in the system, DISH would not have received any money for the activation or installation, and you and your tenant will be SOL for dealing with DISH.

Response to Rebuttals

AUTHOR: Kelly d. - (U.S.A.)

Thanks to those who wrote in, I can see where this would be confusing, especially as I didn't clearly specify everything.

The rental property is NOT a house. It is a building on Main that has two offices in the front, and two apartments in the back. Just like every other building on main (and many throughout the town) it cannot be separated or purchased singly. It's hard to explain through email (and also to the DISH people, since they won't come back out) but the apartments are clearly rental units only, and they sit beside two other buildings, each owned individually, that also rent out a back apartment. It is not a house, but an entire building, and there is the point. They don't have any kind of paperwork on file showing an owner's permission was given. They told us what the procedure is normally, but they don't HAVE any documentation showing that procedure was followed.

And yes, every single time we ourselves had something installed for us, phone, net, cable, etc., we have HAD to be there. When I worked for the cable company, we had to warn people that if there wasn't someone 18 years or older home, the installation would not happen. That's why we don't understand why DISH won't talk to the contractors who did the job without someone being home, and send them back out here, on THEIR time, to fix the mess they made.

Also, when my husband was on the phone with both DISH AND the tenant, DISH clearly understood that the tenant was a renter and in an apartment, because they verified that he was renting apartment #2 at our address. Then DISH thought the tenant was complaining because the cables had been run to incorrect areas, and they repeated the rooms he'd requested to be installed when he CALLED IN his order (3 boxes, and they only have 3 tv's, so, not hard to locate when you walk through an apartment). Our tenant assurred them that the tv's had been hooked up correctly, what he was upset about was that nobody had been home when they had done it, and the WAY the cables had been run.

My husband then asked (while still on the line with the tenant and DISH) if they had the work form signed by the tenant, or anyone, actually from that address, (because it never hurts to check both sides of the story) and the CSR said she couldn't say, but when our tenant told her only one tv was working and he's paying for 3 boxes, she said,"Only ONE box has been activated because no one was there, so they just checked to make sure it was working." Now, true, I could be reading between the lines, but her refusal to tell us (AND the tenant who had the account) that the work order was or was not signed was more or less answered by her explanation that only ONE box had been activated because nobody was there.

Believe me people, I am not here just to bad mouth DISH. I'm here to make a complaint that will hopefully make other people think twice about doing business with them if DISH cannot respond to complaints or do their jobs according to their own procedure. I am going to have a baby in just a few short weeks, and I'd much rather be focusing on preparing for that, not calling roof repairmen or buying roof supplies, fighting with DISH employees online or by phone, or trying to get DISH out here to move the dish before the problems get any worse. Today we are to get 8-12 inches of snow, and a good inch or more of ice and sleet; we wanted the dish moved and the holes repaired before that, and all we've received are assurances and promises that someone will be back out here this week (which was actually LAST week, now, and nobody has called or come out).

We don't CARE if our tenants have DISH, cable, DIRECT TV, and we told them that, but they also knew that we were to be here when it was installed because we wanted to give the installers instructions of how we needed it placed and the cables run WHEN we gave them the letter of permission that we wrote. Being that one of us is here daily, and they have our work numbers and cells if we are out, we were pretty confident we'd be here or close by when the installers came. That's why everyone was shocked when the installation was completed THANKSGIVING when no one was home. Who works on Thanksgiving??? But the fact remains that it was not installed properly, it was not installed legally, there is damage to our building, and for the most part, it was completely unneccessary, and we just want something done about it before we have significant snow and ice, and the damage increases.

If people love DISH and have had great experiences, more power to you. This isn't about asking for a boycott or some nonsense like that; it's about informing people that the company doesn't follow it's own procedures, and when it doesn't, it doesn't hold themselves or their contractors responsible, it doesn't fix the problem or damages, it doesn't even respond to calls and concerns. They just let you know that they have the procedures/policy in place, and that they can't help you. This is simply a buyer beware notice, and a lot of frustration that a company can get by with this kind of behavior/action, without being held responsible.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Grace - (U.S.A.)

every time i've had a cable or telephone installer to my house, they've always INSISTED that someone be at home for the whole installation. i'm shocked that someone decided to install without someone there. they need signatures on their paperwork. and, how did they know where to run the new lines to? yu said they were run 15 feet or so down your walls. there has to have been someone there to show them where to run it to. i'm not sure you're getting the whole story here.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

#8 Consumer Suggestion

#9 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Robandmar - (U.S.A.)

If it was a house, how did dish know the people having the service installed where renters and not the legal owners? The people more than likely didnt tell you when it was getting installed because they didnt want you to stop them from getting dish. In that case it is the renters fault for not being honest to dish and they should have to pay for the repairs, not Dish

Update to Original Report and the Rebuttal 11-30-07

AUTHOR: Kelly d. - (U.S.A.)

It is now Friday, and the people we spoke to in the Damages department, as well as the supervisors we spoke to, haven't done anything. The techs that the CSR said were to be sent out Monday to check the damages and fix the problems never showed, and we've received no phone calls, nor did our tenants.

There is a rebuttal on my original report by an employee, and I'm very grateful they admit that other CSR's don't always note and report things or follow through, etc, etc, but that doesn't do crap for our problems. I know that not everybody does their job as they are supposed to, but at this point and time, we have spoken to over half a dozen employees, including 2 supervisors, and the Damages department, and we are still getting nowhere. So, that to me says that there are a LOT of people who aren't following through.

Again, we HAVE spoken with the Damages department, and yes, we were authorized on the account because my husband was sitting on the phone, WITH our tenant, when the tenant called in to specifically authorize us and to complain that the techs had entered their apartment when it was empty.

We still got the run around. And if like the employee states, that Supervisor's aren't capable of handling these sorts of problems, then what are they being paid for? There aren't any supervisors in Damages that are capable of handling this issue?

I don't CARE if the techs are "trained" not to enter a house without an 18 year old present. The point is they did NOT follow their procedures here, and, as I stated before, they did NOT follow the procedure of getting the owner's permission before installation, because we are the owners, and we did not give any written or verbal permission to DISH network. Their techs slacked and skipped the procedures put in place by DISH, and now there is damage to our rental property that no one wants to take responsibility for, or give us the identity of the local installers who WERE responsible.

It can seem fishy to whomever wants to comment on this report, feel free, go ahead, but I can tell you it seems like b.s. on this end that NOBODY can do anything about the problem and we get some of the same excuses, EVEN in a WRITTEN rebuttal.

I do thank the commenter for pointing out the correct zip code, as I did enter that incorrectly.

At this point, we have filed the police report, and we also spoke to a local person who is a sales rep for DISH to see if he could tell us who the local installers might have been, as they were the ones we really wanted to take our complaint up with, since DISH hasn't responded with anything more than promises to get a tech out (will it be sometime this year?). While the rep and the police agree that the installation was done improperly, and that the techs acted illegally, they more or less told us that there was fat chance of getting DISH to do anything about it, and without the identity of the actual installers, there isn't too much further we can go locally with this complaint.

I am currently working with yet another DISH employee online, trying to get this resolved. So far, he seems to be listening, even if nothing has been accomplished, and that in itself is more than we've received from DISH employees so far.

We will be sending copies of the digital pics and the police report in to DISH, whether it's to the Damages Department, or Corporate or both, and we'll see what happens from there.

Seems kind of fishy to me...

AUTHOR: Mattfast1 - (U.S.A.)

Dish Network's technicians are trained NOT to enter a residence or do any work unless someone 18 years or older is there, specifically for that reason. When you called in with the tenants on the line, they should have added you as authorized on the account, which it doesn't sound like they did, and I myself come across situations on a daily basis where an agent didn't do their job properly, or leave notes, or basically do anything at all.

However, they are not the people who can do anything about any damages techs make. Neither can the supervisors. You need to talk to the actual Damages department. If you talk to the Executive Resolution Team, you will probably be referred to Damages anyway.

Also, that is not the correct address for Dish Network's corporate headquarters. The address is actually:

9601 South Meridian Blvd
Englewood, CO 80112

That zip code you listed is for Janesville, MN - which you probably knew, since you live there. Any Littleton addresses you find online are for one of the call centers - the one I work at, which used to be corporate headquarters.