Complaint Review: Dish

• Submitted: Wed, February 26, 2014
  • Updated: Wed, February 26, 2014

• Reported By: BobPears — Buffalo New York
Denver, Colorado USA

Dish Network Early Termination Fees -- Insane Contract from Dish Denver Colorado

*UPDATE Employee: Your Post

*Consumer Suggestion: Another potential unpleasant surprise coming your way...

*General Comment: Contract....

Early Termination Fees

Dish makes you pay an early termination fee if you cancel the service. They will claim that you have signed a 24 month contract, and make you pay $20 for each month remaining in your contract

Background: Ordering and Installing Dish

A few months ago, my wife ordered Dish Network. Previously, we had been with TWC, but since our contract was up, we decided to consider other options. After looking around, we decided that America's Top 200 package had most of the channels we like. For the price, it was better than what we got at Time Warner, so we decided to try it.

After placing the order, my wife scheduled a time for the installation. I was at work when the dish installer came, so I didn't sign any contracts even though the credit card used was in my name. The antenna, the hopper, the joeys: we got the whole 9 yards.

The Cancellation and Early Termination Fee

A few months later, I saw another offer from DirecTV that was cheaper. I told my wife to cancel Dish and to order DirecTv. I assumed that Dish would send someone to pick up the equipment and then we'd be done. But nothing of the sort! Dish tells my wife that there's an early termination fee of $20 per month for the remainder of the contract period -- in our case it would be 21 x $20. They call this an early termination fee.

After my wife got off the phone and told me what dish said, I called them back. I explained that it was my credit card and that there had been some sort of mistake. The agent told me that my wife had signed a contract. Apparently the technician had asked my wife to sign something ON HIS CELLPHONE that included the early termination fee.

How can Dish charge these expensive fees when the only signature is on a mobile phone?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2014 03:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dish/Denver-Colorado-80210/Dish-Network-Early-Termination-Fees-Insane-Contract-from-Dish-Denver-Colorado-1126777. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dish

Your Post

BobPears, I appreciate the answers given and would be happy to help you with this if you could please email me your account number at michael.lemar@dish.com so I can review the situation!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Another potential unpleasant surprise coming your way...

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

You need to contact Dish for the boxes to return the equipment or they will also bill you for it.

"I assumed that Dish would send someone to pick up the equipment and then we'd be done"

BAD assumption, you could end up owing hundreds in unreturned equipment charges. They will send you boxes, but you're responsible for the shipping.  It's ALL in the contract.

BTW, DirectTV's contract is VERY similar to Dish's, including the two year pro-rated early termination fee.

#3 General Comment

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

This has been a common issue with the American Consumer. They THINK that they are IMMUNE from what they out their name to. ALL services come with a contract. Cellphone, cable, ect. This has been the case for OVER 20 years. So your claim that you didnt KNOW you were under contract is a outright LIE. Ignorance doesnt suit you.

Your report is FAKE. YOU should be ashamed of yourself. If you CANNOT meet YOUR financial obligations then why even try and get services. You are playing "dumb" on purpose. YOU KNOW THERE WAS A CONTRACT INVOLVED!!!! Thats why you took the time and energy to pretty much play the victim.

A contract was signed by one of the two of you. This means that you are under obligation to pay the ETF. It wasnt DISH who screweed you. It was YOU that screwed YOU. You MAY have gotten some help and sympathy IF Dish had been screwing up and you had poor service. But that wasnt the case. YOU just saw a BETTER deal and decided to switch. YOU did this to yourself. Stop your whining.

I cant understand how in your own post state that your CONTRACT was up with TWC, yet feign IGNORANCE on THIS cable provider having a contract. You REALLY CANT BE THAT STUPID!! Then again, you probably are. The stupidity is CLEARLY evident from your own words typed by your own hand. You had a contract with your previous cable provider and SWITCHED to Dish because THAT contract was up.

Im betting that not only were you FULLY aware of the contract AND the term of it, but you THOUGHT you could attempt internet blackmail also known as social blackmail to get out of what YOU LEGALLY OWE. You are a grown d**n adult, dont you think its time YOU start acting like one?? Your post is fake, your story is fabricated to the point that it ONLY shows you to be dumb as a post. YOU chose to post on RoR in an attempt to get your way and get out of paying the ETF. Guess what.........WE SEE YOU FOR WHAT YOU ARE!!

Get used to this term.......SCAMMER!!!!