Complaint Review: Dollar Rent a Car

• Reported By: dh001 — Ottawa Ontario Canada
Dollar Rent a Car
Tampa, District of Columbia United States of America

Dollar Rent a Car Insurance Scam Tampa, District of Columbia

On Wednesday January 23/2013 I rented a car from Dollar Rent a Car at the Tampa Airport. The clerk took my credit card and saw that it was a travel card. He went through the motion of swiping the card and told me that it failed. He said that he would have to enter the information manually. He entered the information manually and told me that the card failed and that I couldn't use the card anymore as it was locked out of their system for 24 hours.

He then asked me for another credit card.  It is important to note at this time that my first card covered the insurance costs of the rental card but the backup card did not. Now I was forced to take the supplemental insurance from Dollar.

Once the transaction was complete I contacted the credit card company of the declined card. They told me that the expiration data was entered incorrectly. I now became suspicious and did some internet research. It turns out that a Dollar Rent a Car clerk gets a commission if you take the insurance from them.

Now I suspected that I had been a victim of a fraud. My card was never swiped and the information was entered incorrectly to cause me to use a different card. They know that the secondary card does not cover the insurance.

I contacted the head office and the Tampa airport Dollar location. They refused to do anything.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2013 05:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-a-Car/Tampa-District-of-Columbia-/Dollar-Rent-a-Car-Insurance-Scam-Tampa-District-of-Columbia-1013175. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent a Car