Complaint Review: Dollar Rent a Car

• Updated: Tue, January 25, 2011

• Reported By: Jeremy — Albany New York United States of America
Dollar Rent a Car
9302 Airport Blvd Tulsa, Oklahoma United States of America

Dollar Rent a Car Charged for liability insurance on a rental car when I told her not to. Cost as much as the rental! Tulsa, Oklahoma

I caught a late evening flight on Southwest from Albany, NY to Orlando, FL. When I arrived, I went to the Dollar Rent a Car counter where I had made a reservation. The woman behind the counter took my information and processed my rental car. When we got to the point about adding insurance, I told her no, I didn't want insurance. She proceeded to add it anyway.

The electronic terminals were not working so she had to do everything on paper. When she put the paper in front of me to sign, I missed the part about the insurance addition because it was in a very small font and I had to sign 5 times on a single sheet of paper. The wording on the paperwork was also very confusing as it stated "You have accepted or declined the above optional items." Which did I do? I verbally declined so I thought it was acknowledging that.

It wasn't until I arrived back at the airport and received my receipt that I realized she had added insurance against my instructions and that the insurance was as much as the daily rental fee.

I called customer service and the woman was extremely rude and condescending. I asked her to remove the insurance fee and she said she would be unable to do that since I had signed the form. I acknowledged that I made a mistake, but she was talking to me like I didn't understand the situation.

I spent 10 minutes explaining the situation and stated that the insurance had been added against my instructions. I asked her, in the name of good customer service, to waive the fee. She continued to be rude and dismissive. I will never do business with Dollar again unless they do something to make this right.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/25/2011 12:47 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-a-Car/Tulsa-Oklahoma-/Dollar-Rent-a-Car-Charged-for-liability-insurance-on-a-rental-car-when-I-told-her-not-to-686628. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent a Car