Complaint Review: Dollar Rent A Car

• Updated: Wed, February 26, 2014

• Reported By: Gerry — SMYRNA Alabama
Dollar Rent A Car
Lockbox 1290 Tulsa, Oklahoma USA

Dollar Rent A Car Dollar, Thrifty Processing fraudelant and excessive administrative fees to me months after my rental was completed Tulsa Oklahoma

*Author of original report: Author's home state, and site where vehicle was returned

I rented a car from Dollar Rent A Car from 9/10/2013 until 9/16/2013. We picked up the car at Midway Airport, and drove to Madison, Wisconsin for a wedding. We returned to Chicago on the evening of Sunday, 9/15, and returned the car to Dollar at Midway on the morning of Monday, 9/16. All necessary paperwork was processed, and we were satisfied with the service to that point.

However, on our return trip, we stopped at toll station number 15 in Illinois. It was an unmanned toll station, requiring thirty cents toll. As we were in line to pay our toll, we noticed a few vehicles in front of us where the driver threw their coins into the basket, but the light remained red...after a short while, each driver drove forward and as many as 3 drivers ahead of us experienced this same problem. Unfortunately, the same occurred when I paid my toll. Since the station was unmanned, I had no recourse but to drive on to my destination.

Please remember, this was on September 15 of last year! In my credit card statement (the card I used to rent my car) for January, 2014, I saw an entry for $15.30, from Dollar Rent A Car, with no explanation, and I had received no notice of this charge or any problem from Dollar to this point.

I wrote a letter of dispute to my credit card issuer (USAA bank), and they credited my account for the $15.30. A couple days later, I received a letter from Dollar, stating that I had run a thirty cent toll, and they paid it, and were charging me the fifteen dollar administrative fees and the thirty cents, and they went on to say that "as a courtesy to the customer," they would only charge a total of seven administrative fees.

Had I been informed of the thirty cent toll, as I would have expected would be their practice, I would have gladly paid the amount owed, but to inform me of their intentions after the fact refllected, in my opinion, extremely poor customer service and a general disregard to any hopes they may have for referrals or repeat business. I would not recommend this business to anyone, and I will inform anyone who is looking to rent a vehicle to go elsewhere.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2014 09:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dollar-Rent-A-Car/Tulsa-Oklahoma-74182/Dollar-Rent-A-Car-Dollar-Thrifty-Processing-fraudelant-and-excessive-administrative-fees-1126666. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dollar Rent A Car

Author's home state, and site where vehicle was returned

AUTHOR: Gerry - ()

I incorrectly indicated in my original report that I live in Smyrna, Georgia, when, in fact, I live in Smyrna, Delaware. Also, the vehicle in this report was both picked up and returned to Dollar Rent A Car at Midway Airport in Chicago, not to their home office in Tulsa, OK.  Thank you!