Complaint Review: Donna Franca Tours

• Submitted: Sun, October 21, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, August 07, 2008

• Reported By:El Paso Texas
Donna Franca Tours
470 Commonwealth Avenue Boston, Massachusetts U.S.A.

Donna Franca Tours Consumer should not be penalized for Donna Francas' inability to be profitable Boston Massachusetts

*UPDATE Employee: EL PASO TEXAS RECEIVED A FULL REFUND

I deposited money w/ Donna Franca Tours for a trip to Tuscany. I paid the deposit of the trip, insurance and purchased my plane ticket through them. Eleven days prior to my departure I left a phone message for my agent informing him I had not received confirmation of any kind nor my plane ticket. The guy is such a chicken, he responded via e-mail that the trip had been cancelled due to low participation. When I requested to get my money back since I had purchased the insurance. They informed me a claim could only be filed if I had a medical reason which prevented me from traveling. If the tour operator cancels, the insurance does not provide coverage.

Then the ticket I purchased can only be used as a credit with Alitalia less $200 penalty for cancelling. The airline will issue a credit which has to be used within a year of my purchase date which was early August. Due to my business the best time for me to travel is in the fall, another inconvenience they have caused me.

I understand that the company must have a certain number of participants in order to be economically feasible but the consumer should not be penalized for their inability to be profitable. Donna Franca Tours should be accountable when they cancel a tour either through the insurance they provide or direct reimbursement from the company. The insurance coverage they provided me was worthless unless I cancelled.

The most unbelievable and incredible part of all this was when Ms. Franca told me that the only way I could get a full refund was to get a doctor to write a letter stating I was unable to travel due to medical reasons. Even though there was NO tour! Hmm sounds kind of like FRAUD!

I filed with the Better Business Bureau and I discovered that there have been 7 complaints filed against Donna Franca Tours in the last 36 months. I can only imagine how many others, have not filed complaints. Only one was resolved, and last year their membership was terminated due to violations of BBBs membership.

Wish I had done more research instead of just taking one persons referral....

Donna franca tours
El Paso, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/21/2007 12:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Donna-Franca-Tours/Boston-Massachusetts-02215/Donna-Franca-Tours-Consumer-should-not-be-penalized-for-Donna-Francas-inability-to-be-pro-280111. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Donna Franca Tours

EL PASO TEXAS RECEIVED A FULL REFUND

AUTHOR: Leo - (U.S.A.)

I just came across this posting and was suprised at its content. I did try to call the client and never recieved a reply. I resorted to e mail to communicate to her.
She had cancelled her boyfriend who was booked on this vacation and neither party was charged a penalty, when in fact per the tour conditions she was responsible for this amount. We sent the client a revised statement reflecting a single occupancy rate. The client never sent in her final payment by the balance due date. When she did call us concerning the trip we advised her that the tour had been cancelled due to lack of participation. The client had already purchased a non refunable airline ticket and we managed to refund the ticket less a carrier imposed administrative fee of $200.00. We granted her a credit of $200.00 towards a future Donna Franca Tours vacation and refunded all remaining monies.
We have done our best to respond to her claims.