unexpected

• Updated: Sat, December 07, 2013

• Reported By: Sir James — Coon Rapids, Minnesota
Dons Small Engine Service
1449 1/2 Coon Rapids Blvd Coon Rapids, Minnesota USA

Dons Small Engine Service Refused to return deposit money after I refused diaognostics and never performed any service what so ever Coon Rapids Minnesota

On November7th 2013 I took my snow blower to Dons Small Engine Service in Coon Rapids because it would not stay running. I knew it was a carboration issue and the year before, this company had installed a new one becasue the original one failed. I was told I was using the wrong fuel and the gas purchased at gas stations have too high of an ethenol content. I was not surprised to learn the previous work done was not under warranty because of the fuel used. Disapointed, sure, but it was November and anyone living in Minnesota knows it could snow at anytime. I decided to have the work done anyway. This unit was not even 3 years old yet and used less than a dozen times during that time.

I had not heard from Don's regarding the status of the repair, and wondered why. Was I placed at the bottom of the list because I complained the original carburator work had not lasted? I don't know. Anyway, as expected it snowed and I was without a snowblower, luckily it was not a wet and heavy snow. I called on December 6, inquiring about the status and I was told I was next in line and they would start the work later this date or on Monday December 9. I called back later, and told them I did not want to have the work done after all and asked if any work had started and i was told no work had begun. I stated I purchased another snowblower and I would pick up the machine later on 12/06. I was told the business would be open on Saturday 12/07 and I could pick it up then if I liked, I said I would be in on Saturday.

On Saturday, I picked up the machine, one of the guys helped me lift it into the bed of my truck. I then went back in the business and inquired about my $50.00 deposit I left, and I believe it was Don, who told me I would not get the refund, and it stated that on my invoice. I replied "you didn't do any work to it" and he shook his head and said it says not refunds on deposits and did not explain further why. Well, I ended up leaving without the deposit and told Don, thanks for nothing.

I understand the request for the deposit in case a person declines repairs after they tear into the project. In this case, no work had been done, and I felt a month was ample time to complete any repairs. If they were busy then they were busy, but I suspect I was the victim Don being passive aggressive. Fairly nice to me in person, but going to make me wait for the unit until after a snow fall. Now that is my opinion and I am a good judge of charactor, so don't get you panties in an uproar. Anyway, where I come from, if the service is not provided, then you don't pay, and clearly no service was rendered and I should be entitled to my deposit.

I am not here to slam Dons Small Engine Service, I was satisified with his initial work, however, I'll repeat myself, I felt he should have stood behind it, but that is his policy not to warranty carb work. Even though I have never had any problems with any other small engines I have owned over the years, even using this same fuel. I am not an expert, on small engine carbs but I think over a period of several years, one might experience this problem on newer carbs, but I am not and have to rely on what others tell me. I will use the fuel Dons recommended in my new small engines.

Since I was not given a refund on my deposit for "No Services Rendered" I will not return for any reason. I should operate a business like this. I would still make money whether I worked or not. It's a win win!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/07/2013 02:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dons-Small-Engine-Service/Coon-Rapids-Minnesota-55433/Dons-Small-Engine-Service-Refused-to-return-deposit-money-after-I-refused-diaognostics-an-1105203. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dons Small Engine Service