Complaint Review: Downtown Towing Company

• Submitted: Thu, October 13, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, November 28, 2005

• Reported By:Miami Florida
Downtown Towing Company
2418 N. Miami Avenue Miami, Florida U.S.A.

Downtown Towing Company ripoff, inflated the charges from what is on the Tag Agency records Miami Florida

*Consumer Comment: I have to agree with Robert on this one!!!

*Consumer Comment: Leticia Invest in Some Glasses

*Consumer Suggestion: Re: Towing Charges that where incured are legal

*Consumer Comment: Your story keeps changing

*REBUTTAL Individual responds: You're getting there Debra

*Author of original report: Impaired?

*Consumer Comment: I answered your question Debra

*Author of original report: My Son Is NOT the Issue

*Consumer Comment: Here is how it works in Florida

*Author of original report: Still Missing the Point

*Consumer Suggestion: Debra, your beef isn't with the owing company.

*Consumer Comment: Whose responsibility?

*Consumer Suggestion: I Am NOT Disputing The Charges

*Author of original report: I Am NOT Disputing The Charges

*Consumer Suggestion: Debra, I don't think you were ripped off

*Author of original report: Time Frame

*Consumer Comment: Time Frame?

*Author of original report: You are missing my Point

*Consumer Suggestion: Have your son pay the bill

I had given my son my old car and I found out later that the City of Miami had it towed because he did not keep it in operating condition and it was parked for a long time on the side of the road in front of his house. I was unaware of this and when I went to renew my tag, I was told there was a lien of $349.80 on my drivers license. I called the towing company and told them I was coming down to pay. They then told me that I would have to pay over $1,600 to have them remove the lien!!!! I told them what the paper from the Tag Agency said and they said that I "owed" them the addition money for storage and that they would "work out a payment plan"! I asked them why the amount on record was different and he said that I would have to pay the 1,600 and I had no recourse. I spoke to a guy named "Randy" who told me he was very busy and I had to come down there. I think I need a lawyer! Why didn't I receive any notifications when it was towed??? He said I did but I can promise you that I didn't.

Any idea what I can do? Is it legal for them to force me to pay an amount other than what is on record???

Debra
Miami, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/13/2005 09:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Downtown-Towing-Company/Miami-Florida-33126/Downtown-Towing-Company-ripoff-inflated-the-charges-from-what-is-on-the-Tag-Agency-record-160603. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Downtown Towing Company

I have to agree with Robert on this one!!!

AUTHOR: Lori - (U.S.A.)

My husband is a wrecker driver. The company he works for is on police rotation. His company charges a $65.00 hookup plus $3.00 a mile for impounds plus $15.00 a day for storage. You stated that your son left the broken down vehicle on the side of the road in front of his house, I don't know how Florida does things not having lived there, but most states put a nice little orange sticker on the vehicle stating you have so many hours to move the vehicle or it will be towed at the owners expense. The reason the bill with the towing company is different from what the tag agency sais is the storage fees which go up everyday. Plus, if you stated to the towing company that you were going to pickup the vehicle on a certain day and did not pick it up, you also get charged "waiting time" which differs per state, here in OK it can be as high as $100.00 per day. The waiting time is charged because of the time wasted waiting on you coming to pick up the vehicle when he could be out running calls. If there is a next time, tell your son to park the vehicle in his driveway instead of a public street to avoid the whole mess.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

There is no limit on storage charges. If I was a deadbeat customer and knew the maximum storage charge was $90, I'd leave the car there forever. Here in Florida, that $90 is gone in four days.

It tends to eliminate the derelicts. As Leticia has noted, Debra has changed her story several times. She is the reason Florida allows no limits, and we can apply for title after three days.

Leticia Invest in Some Glasses

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

In my initial post I SAID THAT I WAS GETTING A TAG FOR ANOTHER CAR I OWNED when I found out about the lien. THAT is the vehicle I subsequently sold AFTER I was unable to register it.

I also said that I have hired an attorney to handle this since most of the repsonses here were worthless.

She is doing a great job.

Got it, now?

#7 Consumer Suggestion

Re: Towing Charges that where incured are legal

AUTHOR: Chris - (U.S.A.)

Debra the towing and storage charges are legal. I agree with Robert. By the time you send in a title to the BMV it takes 30-60 days to get a response. Then you have to mail out a certified letter to the owner of the car " Here in Ohio that is" and the waiting period on that could be another 30-60 day's to get a response from the owner of the car. By that time you have a towing charge plus the storage fee for the car what ever storage fee's a day are aloud in the state of Florida. Plus paper work fees. It cost towing companies money to have workers file the paper work. Here in Ohio we are only aloud a maximum towing charge of 90.00 and 12.00 a day storage. By law. So you might want to have your lawyer check in to the maximum aloud by state for storage fees. I'm only telling you this from a towing company owner. I hope this helped you out Debra.

Your story keeps changing

AUTHOR: Leticia - (U.S.A.)

First you mentioned that you had sold the car. Then you said it was demolished. Then when someone asked you whom you sold the car to, the towing company or a private owner, you mention that you sold it to a private owner who is pleased with it. Now you are back to the car being demolished by the towing company before you got there to pay.

Did you sell someone a little square metal heap? I doubt that. Get your story straight.

#9 REBUTTAL Individual responds

You're getting there Debra

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Now, I have a title on the car. It has been in my possession for about 90 days. The DMV knows about the storage charges for the first 30. During the next 60 days, more storage is being applied. I cannot dispose of the car until I have a title for it. I must retain possession of it. I now have 90 days storage on the bill when I get my new title. Now, I decide to crush it. You still owe the full amount of storage...90 days.

Why is this concept so difficult for you?

Impaired?

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

Wow! The common defense of the academically unarmed...name calling.

The lien amount on the DMV files should be unpdated at LEAST, AFTER the car has been destroyed. After all, you can't incur any additional storage fees if the vehicle has been destroyed. It has been well over enough time to submit updated data to the DMV.

Can I make it any simpler than that?

I answered your question Debra

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I'll try again for the learning impaired.

I have a car with 30 days storage on it. I submit the paperwork for a title. It takes another 30-60 days for me to get the title. The storage bill is now double-triple what the DMV has recorded. The DMV records the storage bill due at the time of application for a title. The storage charges do not end just because I have applied for a title.

I cannot make this any more simple than that.

My Son Is NOT the Issue

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

Please focus on my situation with the towing company and I will focus on my son.

Geeezzzzz.....

The Issue again, sigh.....IS WHY IS THE AMOUNT OF THE LIEN ON RECORD DIFFERENT FROM WHAT THE TOW COMPANY IS CHARGING???????

I am only intrested in responses which address that issue.

If no one knows, I can accept that. As I said, I have an attorney and I just answer the alerts from this site which are sent to my e-mail. I keep hoping for an answer with some merit pertinent to the subject.

Here is how it works in Florida

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I have possession of a car. I can wait as long as I want before filing for the title. I usually wait 30 days so it can get lots of storage. Anyone who doesn't bother getting their car within 3 days, isn't going to have a problem with me holding their car for 30. They all think it's free.

The title company then calls the car owner and informs them of the CURRENT bill, and sends them a certified letter with the same info. The storage bill is still climbing, $25/day for unsecured storage, and $75/day for secured storage. The difference is whether the car is guarded 24/7 or not. To be considered guarded, all I need is a tall fence and an alarm system.

It takes about another 30-60 days to get the title. Add it up. At $75/day, in just 60 days total time of possession, the storage bill alone is $4500. When the title work was initiated, the storage bill was already at $2250.

I think the $1600 is cheap. I also think you coddle your son, and he will never grow up. That isn't what your issue is, in your opinion though. It is however, everyone else's opinion.

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

What part of my comment that my son HAS NO problem paying me for this "learning experience" didn't you understand?

The circumstances surronding why this happened has nothing to do with my initial question. I did not request the benefit of your "parenting skills". But thanks, just the same.

No, I did not sell the car to the towing company. I sold it to a private owner. I never disputed the fact that the towing company was entitled to compensation for their services and I have said so in EVERY ONE of my posts, so why are you harping on this? I never said that my son, nor I, was trying to get our of paying. I said I didn't want to be RIPPED OFF by the towing company. This is ripoffreport.com, right?

And yes, I will always be there for my son.

It seems the attorney will adress the legalities of the issue with the towing company.

This website seems to be just a place for bashers to bash....not to address real complaints.

#18 Consumer Suggestion

Debra, your beef isn't with the owing company.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

The towing company has a contract with the city that stipulates exactly how much they can and will charge for each tow, including storage rates. The reason the bill amount changes is that certain thing must be done, at certain times. Storage rate changes, certified letters of intent must be mailed, tow liens are processed, title searches are done, all at the tower's expense. He has legal things to do at the 30 day mark, the 45 day mark, etc. The car was no doubt scrapped because no-one wanted to pay the storage fee, so the tow company gets whatever the city contract calls for {maybe $250) per vehicle and the city takes over collecting the rest. The city in effect uses the tow company as their collection agent.

Whose responsibility?

AUTHOR: Pete - (U.S.A.)

Your son sounds like a real winner. If this car was parked 'in front of his house', didn't he notice when it was towed? Or was it a case of why worry because Mommy will take care of it?

How long did the towing company have the car before you discovered it was towed? After all, they have the right to charge for storage. Whether an amount of $1,600 is justified depends on what their usual charge is.

How were you able to sell the car if you didn't pay the money they requested? Or did you sell it to the towing company?

No, we don't just 'reach for our wallets.' We take care of our responsibilities, unlike your pampered son who you'll probably continue to make excuses for during the rest of his life! If he's living on his own it's about time he grew up.

#20 Consumer Suggestion

I Am NOT Disputing The Charges

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for your comment. However, what I am disputing is the discrepency in the amount the tow company is charging me and the amount of the lien.

I have since contacted an attorney who said that the amount of the lien is the amount I would have to pay to clear this debt as far as the DMV is concerned. Litigation is in process. BTW, I received TWO different amounts from TWO different people at the towing company...each willing to "make a deal".

Neither my son or myself had received any letters from the towing company even though they said they sent several. I know this is untrue because they said they mailed them to MY address and my son does not live at home, so it was impossible that he received them and I didn't if they trully mailed them. It was an older car but my son did put a lot of money into the stereo system and things that young men do and he has no problem paying me.

The purpose of me filing this report was to find out if anyone has encountered a similar situation and how they dealth with it. Also, I acknowlege and ACCEPT the fact that I SHOULD pay (and will) for the towing and LEGITIMATE expenses. But, I refuse to go blindly to slaughter. If companies like these are taking advantage of people, then I would like to be one of the people who take a stand against them. Holding a person's registration hostage for an inflated amount of money is extortion.

BTW, There is no lien on my drivers license and I have since sold the car. Ther buyer received the title from Tallahassee with no lien attached. Also, I contacted the Drivers License Bureau and they said I would have no problem renewing my DL.

Judging from the few responses and comments I have received here, I am inclined to believe that most people just reach for their wallets.

No wonder companies like these employ these underhanded practices. I'll let you know what happens with the case.

I Am NOT Disputing The Charges

#22 Consumer Suggestion

Debra, I don't think you were ripped off

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

The tow company was simply following the terms of their contract with the city. I do think you have a chance of winning a court case though because judges are sympathetic to circumstances such as yours. I bet you could probrably get the $1,600 thrown out. You may find your car's registration is flagged also, you'd better check on it before your renewal is due. Also, if HIS bill goes unpaid, don't be expecting a tax return next year. Basically, your deadbeat son has screwed you up good and it probrably doesn't even phase him.

Time Frame

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for a your civil question.

I was told the car was destroyed after no response. I NEVER received any notices! Unbelievable but true.

I don't know the time laspe. However, all I want to know is how can one amount be recorded on the DMV records and the towing company demand another amount to release the lien?

Also, why isn't the amount the tow company charging listed as the amount of the lien?

Time Frame?

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

What was the amount of time between the time it was towed and the time you went to pick it up?

You are missing my Point

AUTHOR: Debra - (U.S.A.)

My son is going to reimburse me for the lien amount on record of 349.80. However, the Tow Company is asking for 5 times more than is listed on the record ($1600).

My question was: Is this legal?

My son is going to take responsibility but the Towing Company has a responsibility also...to have ethical business practices.

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

What you want is for parents to say NO to their kids on a regular basis and make them earn the stuff they get. That is so mean. What are you thinking? You don't suppose if kids had to engage their brains once in a while, they might actually grow up smarter than a dog and be responsible for themselves as adults do you?

Look to me like Junior is going to keep walking for a little longer...if he was my kid. This one will have Mommy and Daddy pay for everything for a much longer time. They caused his slack behavior, and will foot the bill for years to come. Have fun, ya'll.

#29 Consumer Suggestion

Have your son pay the bill

AUTHOR: Leticia - (U.S.A.)

He's the one who kept the car in that condition and left it to be picked up. He should be the one paying the bill for it! NOT YOU! He needs to take responsibility.