Complaint Review: Dr. Bruce Sand, DO

• Submitted: Wed, November 05, 2008
  • Updated: Sun, December 28, 2008

• Reported By:Phoenix Arizona
Dr. Bruce Sand, DO
20950 N Tatum Blvd # 220 Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.
  • Phone: 480-585-9555?
  • Web:
  • Category: Doctors

Dr. Bruce Sand, DO STAY AWAY FROM THIS DOCTOR AND HIS STAFF!! Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Comment: office mgrs should not write reports

*Consumer Comment: Dr. Bruce Stuart Sand is Board certified in Gastroenterology. Get 2nd medical opinion.

*Consumer Suggestion: Sorry to here this

*Consumer Comment: 72 Hours?

*Consumer Comment: Rules are Rules... Deal with it...

*Consumer Comment: Dr. Sand is not just a fine doctor but a true healer!

*Consumer Comment: Was this OSTEOPATH CERTIFIED AS A gastroenterologist ?

I went to Dr. Sand due to severe stomach pains and bleeding in my stools.He found nothing after a colonoscopy, CAT scan and examination and I'm still having severe problems. His bedside manner is that of a rock and he never spent more than 5 minutes with me during any of my two visits. I feel my time was wasted when I could have gone to a better doctor who would have found what my issues are. Unfortunately, I was still scheduled for a follow up visit.

On the Friday before the Monday of my visit, I was advised by my employer that I had to go out of town the following week, making it impossible for me to make my appointment.I was told there would be a $25 charge for missing the appointment (even though I gave them three days notice) and that I needed to give them 72 hours notice. I told them to bill me, never intending to pay but to respond with a letter explaining the urgency of my job.My husband got a call from the horrendous office manager for Doc Sand, who informed him they're still owed $25 and they don't bill for "those services."

He told her we had no intention of paying since her work called her out of town suddenly, and she replied "Oh, then I'll go ahead and forward this right to the collection agency, so they can get it on your credit report right away."First of all, it is ILLEGAL to make such statements without first speaking to the person responsible (me...the woman was talking to my husband). Secondly, it is ILLEGAL to charge for missed appointments with good reason in the state of Arizona. I called a lawyer. I called her myself and she gave me the same song and dance. I even asked her if my mother died would they charge me and she replied, "yes, the policy stands." She then had the nerve to ask it I would like to re-schedule the appointment. Laughable.

Please...if you value your health and your mental sanity...stay away from this doctor, his crackpot staff and his horrendous policies which do nothing but hurt others and line his pockets. I could go on here about his unorganized billing practices (the proof is the pile of INCORRECT bills piling up on my counter that I'm wading through with the insurance company), but haven't I said enough to convince you to stay away???

Kclay70
Phoenix, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2008 01:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Bruce-Sand-DO/Phoenix-Arizona-85050/Dr-Bruce-Sand-DO-STAY-AWAY-FROM-THIS-DOCTOR-AND-HIS-STAFF-Phoenix-Arizona-388097. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. Bruce Sand, DO

office mgrs should not write reports

AUTHOR: Kim - ()

Everyone reading this can clearly see that the Crazy Office Lady wrote the post I am rebutting. Even if patients cancel several days before their scheduled appointment, you will still be charged. I have read where someone called to cancel days before and refused to pay the rediculous fee. That person was reported to a credit agency. Are you kidding me? This office would risk a hard working sick person's credit over a $50 fee. Seriously rethink going to this place. Until Dr Sand grows a pair and fires that crazy office person, I will not be going back and I will tell everybody that might need care to stay away from this practice. I would like to see Dr. Sand again but I can't get past the Warden.

AUTHOR: Wilson - (U.S.A.)

FYI, I am not defending Dr. Bruce Sand. I am just posting public information.
I would seek the second opinion of another gastroenterologist.
I have seen many episodes of the television show Mystery Diagnosis on the Discovery Health Channel and medical problem could be a rare disease such as an autoimmune disease. Many stories on Mystery Diagnosis will show a patient who has seen multiple doctors and have undergone many tests until they finally see a certain specialist who puts all the various test results and symptoms together to get the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Name search of Bruce Sand found under Doctor of Osteopathy

Fellowship:

Internship: 09/13/1976 - 09/12/1977
Martin Place Hospital
Detroit and Madison Heights, MI

Residency: 10/01/1977 - 10/01/1979 (Internal Medicine)
Normandy Osteopathic Hospital
St. Louis, MO
Residency: 10/15/1979 - 10/14/1981 (Gastroenterology)
Botsford General Hospital
Farmington Hills, MI

(b) Area of Interest Gastroenterology (ABMS Board Certified)
(b) Area of Interest Internal Medicine (ABMS Board Certified

#3 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Tnr - (U.S.A.)

I work in the medical field and every physician has a "No Show" policy. I have never seen a physician demand over a 24 hour time line to call and cancel. 72 hours seems a little extreme for a "No Show" policy. Nobody really knows what is going to happen in 24 hours let alone 72. Unfortunately, if it is posted that way in the office, you are expected to pay or it will go against your credit. I seriously doubt that you would want your credit ruined over $25.00.

My suggestion is to pay the $25.00 (making sure you put "Paid in full" in the memo section of your check) and write on the bill (NOT a separate letter) that you were disappointed in the service you received in the first visit but came back to give them a chance. Tell them that you were treated the same way the second time around. Let them know that you are making payment under protest because of the way you were treated. Explain to them that you will not see this physician in the future and that you hope, for his patients sake, he is not treating his other patients this way.

Everything in the medical office is legal and binding and that does include anything you say to them or send them in the mail. When you send this letter, make sure it is in a regular envelope and not their paid envelope. On the front of the envelope write payment enclosed. Take it to the post office and have it delivered certified so they have to sign for it.

#2) Your credit is saved.
#3) By writing your complaint on the bill, it is legal so if anything happens and the physician gets investigated, you have helped their investigation.
#4) By having them sign the receipt, you can check your credit to make sure they have not filed this after you have written the complaint. If they do, take legal action.

Other than this, there is nothing you can do. Sorry, good luck and I hope this helps.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

#5 Consumer Suggestion

#6 Consumer Suggestion

72 Hours?

AUTHOR: Canuck - (U.S.A.)

72-hour cancellation DEFINITELY excessive. Have only seen 24-hour notice request.

Funny, but we can't bill the doctor when THEY reschedule appointment the day before scheduled appointment. Sorry, but I'd be pissed off, too. Not everything is black or white. Get another doctor -- don't need any Dr. Sands' of the world.

Rules are Rules... Deal with it...

AUTHOR: Lvlvr - (U.S.A.)

Anyone who has been to a Dr.'s office sees those signs that says if you don't call to cancel your appointment within so many days, you get charged. Even my HAIRDRESSER does that!!! You read the signs ... and knew the rules. People like you seem to think rules DON'T apply to them. Rules are rules and for reasons you probably don't even understand. Stop being such a crybaby and pay the $25- like everyone else does and stop thinking you are somehow not accountable. "Called out of town suddenly"? "Mother died"? Looks to me like you were fishing for an excuse- anyone can do that!!

And I find it interesting that if you didn't like your Dr. on the first vist- then why did you go back?? Not everyone 'clicks' with everyone else... so, then you find a Dr. that fits better with your personality- ... sounds to me like you are sucking on sour grapes.

Give up the sour grapes and maybe you won't have stomach problems.

Dr. Sand is not just a fine doctor but a true healer!

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

(12-3-08)
I was appalled by the hostile, inappropriate, and immature review submitted by kclay70 (on
11-5-08) regarding Dr. Sand and his staff. Apparently this individual fails to realize that a cancellation fee policy is not intended to be punitive but rather to discourage last minute cancellations in order to preserve appointment availability for patients that are sick and / or
committed to attending their scheduled appointment. I needed to be seen immediately by Dr. Sand on several occasions and was able to obtain timely appointments due to the enforcement of his office cancellation policy. In addition, I have found Dr. Sand and his staff to be professional, caring, respectful, and accommodating during my long term relationship with his practice. Moreover, I have known Dr. Sand to be an excellent listener, kind, soft spoken, and genuinely concerned about his patients health and well being! It's unfortunate that kclay70 feels a need to verbally attack an individual that not only saves lives daily and promotes health and well being for many, but a cancellation policy that protects the interests of patients needing care and assistance in a timely manner (rather than waiting weeks or even months to be seen by a doctor). Hats off to Dr. Sand and Desert Ridge Gastroenterology for their continued efforts to provide excellent and expeditious healthcare!!

Was this OSTEOPATH CERTIFIED AS A gastroenterologist ?

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

It sounds like to me that your disorder would require a medical specialist otherwise known as a gastroenterologist. ( google the term).
But that is just a STATEMENT of a LAY PERSON'S OPINION AND IS NOT MEDICAL OR LEGAL ADVICE. I am not qualified to give either.

Some of the best doctors I have ever retained to treat me have been Osteopaths which is what your doctor is or is supposed to be is he has the letters DO ( Doctor of Osteopathy) after his name.

And you DID verify that he WAS a genuine certified Osteopathic practitioner by inquiring with the American Osteopathic Association ?
Because these days, you can't believe just anybody. You should have also asked to see if he had any sanctions or disciplinary actions taken against him as well.

The American Osteopathic Association headquarters are located in downtown Chicago, with the Division of Government Relations located in Washington, D.C. To speak with an AOA staff member, use the contact information listed below.

Chicago Office Main Headquarters
142 East Ontario Street
Chicago, IL 60611
Toll-free phone: (800) 621-1773
General phone: (312) 202-8000
Fax (312) 202-8200

You need to report him to this particular medical board for what he did to you,in my opinion, because this seems like bad practice.Also, you can express any concern or complaint here too and any question about whether he even has a license or not.

I have never had any problems with my osteopathic doctors OR my MDs. I prefer using an Osteopath for my general practitioner and an MD if there is something more serious going on.

When I did security work at an Osteopathic hospital, it SEEMED TO ME that their most frequent operation performed was a colostomy ( google THAT and tell me whether or not you want it done to you!). I am NOT in the medical field and can not second-guess ANY medical practitioners, but it seemed to be when I saw all of those procedures that were being done there, I decided to check out naturopathic ,homeopathic and herbal remedy specialists in addition to traditional medicine --- JUST NOT USING THE REMEDIES ALL AT ONCE OR IN COMBINATION WITH EACH OTHER.

Each medical practitioner, DOs and MDs have their strengths and weakness and YOU will have to research each medical discipline and make an informed decision.

I can't do that for you.