Complaint Review: Dr. Deborah McFarland, Dr. Keith Ungar, Andrew Schon, Functional Endocrinology of Ohio

• Submitted: Thu, July 04, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, July 04, 2013

• Reported By: TGS — Cleveland Ohio
6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Suite 100 Independence, Ohio USA

Functional Endocrinology of Ohio, Dr. Deborah McFarland, Dr. Keith Ungar, Andrew Schon Zero Positive Results With FEO Health Program Independence and Akron Ohio

*Author of original report: Many of My Thoughts and Statements About the FEO Program and the Business Operation in My Original Posting Were Incorrect.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Functional Endocrinology of Ohio, Dr. Keith Ungar

I saw a several minute infomercial on TV with Dr. Keith Unger claiming: many people can regrow hair, and their hair can return to its natural color, and their program can significantly improve the client's diabetes. Interested from the TV infomercial I went to see Dr. Keith Unger give a one-hour presentation on the thyroid. He claimed his system takes into consideration 10 different steps while conventional doctors only focus on three steps to improve thyroid function. Dr. Keith Unger is the president of FEO.

My goals were to increase energy, reduce my waistline, and reduce my weight through the Functional Endocrinology of Ohio (FEO) health program – zero of the goals I had were attained through FEO's program.

1. Andrew Schon at FEO signed me up for the $5100 health program with Dr. Deborah McFarland as my doctor.

2. Energy levels stayed consistent throughout the program. Cleansing, change in diet and supplementation did NOT improve my energy level.

3. Supplements were very expensive and were not covered by insurance. I saw zero results from taking the supplements – which was an out-of-pocket expense. My program allowed $1500 for supplements as part of the $5100 cost.

4. Total cost of blood tests $780. Results from blood tests were near normal and nothing special was determined from the tests.

5. My insurance company told me Dr. Deborah had an in-network contract for $57 per visit at the 2800 S. Arlington Rd., Akron location. My insurance company says the FEO 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Suite 100 Independence, OH location is out-of-network at $283 per visit. Note the huge five-times cost difference! There was a failure to disclose this major difference in costs upfront by FEO and Dr. Deborah McFarland. Since I didn't check with my insurance company about this until afterwards, I lost over $2500 – i.e. if I had known about my options upfront and gone to Dr. Deborah at 2800 S. Arlington Rd. for $57 per visit I would have saved $2500 for the same health program!

6. Due to the very high price of the program with no results – and a loss of at least $2500 to me by using out-of-network FEO, I wish I had never done the FEO health program!

7. TO ALL NEW POSSIBLE CLIENTS:

• Ask what tests are likely to be required – including medical code and cost for each test – in writing.

• Make sure you know upfront before signing any contract if you'll be charged an in-network or out-of-network price at the location you'll receive services and the doctor performing the services (find out from your insurance company before doing anything). Also ask if it's an out-of-network price, can you do it in-network at a different location or with a different doctor. If it is the out-of-network $283/visit – think if it's really worth that kind of money? Your choice.

• Realize if you pay $283/visit out-of-network price – that ONLY $57/visit (allowed amount) will be applied toward your deductible – NOT $283/visit!

• Also beware of their early termination fee – withdrawing early costs you a lot of extra money!

• Make sure if it is not an emergency to start the program after your insurance company year starts – which might be May 1st or some other month than January. This can drastically reduce the deductibles you must payout for the program – making it only one year versus two years worth of deductibles!

• I would make sure that FEO submits accurate fully filled out claim forms to your insurance company after every office visit!

8. I had trouble with Andrew Schon submitting blood test claims to my insurance company.

I am writing this to warn all possible clients of the possible financial danger in working with Dr. Deborah McFarland, Dr. Keith Ungar and Andrew Schon. I suggest to any new client to not sign any contract until it's all laid out on paper and then call your insurance company. And get an in-network price before signing any papers, if possible. Make sure you know which doctor will provide services and what their qualifications are.

9. In summary, I believe FEO's Dr. Deborah McFarland, Dr. Keith Ungar, and Andrew Schon are all guilty of:

• Dr. Deborah McFarland – Did got zero results desired for my case

• Note: Your results can be different from my results

• Extremely high $283/visit out-of-network costs

• Did not make me aware of financial options upfront (see #5 above)!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/04/2013 05:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Deborah-McFarland-Dr-Keith-Ungar-Andrew-Schon-Functional-Endocrinology-of-Ohio/Independence-Ohio-44131/Functional-Endocrinology-of-Ohio-Dr-Deborah-McFarland-Dr-Keith-Ungar-Andrew-Schon-Ze-1064370. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Dr. Deborah McFarland, Dr. Keith Ungar, Andrew Schon, Functional Endocrinology of Ohio

AUTHOR: TGS - ()

After reading the President’s response to my original posting, I contacted Functional Endocrinology of Ohio (FEO) and was able to resolve many of the questions I had with them.  I also learned that many of my thoughts and statements about the program and the business (that I talked about in my original posting) were incorrect.  The price I paid for my care was not typical and no patient’s care plan at FEO is the same.

I recommend FEO as a great alternative to orthodox doctors because I personally saw the testimonial notebook of outstanding results achieved through their expertise. And as I am only one who did not get my expected results versus hundreds who got great results, it is a good choice for new clients to pursue their holistic health goals through FEO. FEO worked with me to make sure I was a satisfied customer and this has meant a lot to me. I am sure they would do the same for any new client.

So do yourself a favor and pursue FEO's health program - so you can feel and look better and be more productive and enjoy life more!

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Functional Endocrinology of Ohio, Dr. Keith Ungar

AUTHOR: Functional Endocrinology of Ohio - ()

I am the President of Functional Endocrinology of Ohio.  On behalf of the company and its doctors, I would like to address this patient’s complaints.   I was personally upset by this complaint because we have never had a complaint in our company’s history.  Moreover, after reading this response,  I encourage the patient to contact us about any of these issues so that we can discuss them and do what we can do to make this patient happy.

Every patient that comes into our office has different health goals.  Our programs are customized for each patient based on what their testing shows and the goals the patient wants to achieve.  In fact, this is why people call us after seeing or hearing about Dr. Ungar, D.C. – they are tired of the “one size fits all” approach other health care providers give them and are really tired of continuing to feel the way they do with no help in sight.

It seems that this patient was not happy with his results.   Without knowing who the patient is, I can not address these concerns specifically but I can say that very rarely do we have patients who are not thrilled with their results and very rarely do patients who comply with all of the doctor’s instructions not achieve their results.  That being said, there is no guarantee in medicine and every person responds at a different rate and level.  Again, I encourage this patient to contact us to discuss these issues with one of our doctors.  Although his doctor, Dr. McFarland, D.C. is no longer with our practice, another doctor can step in and review this patient’s chart.

With regard to insurance coverage, unfortunately for everyone, insurance companies do not cover vitamins.  Believe me, we wish they did.  This is thoroughly explained to every patient in writing and by the doctors when they start care.  Again, without knowing the identity of this patient, I cannot address the cost of his particular vitamins, but I can state that all of our vitamins are of the highest quality and can only be provided by a doctors’ office.  Further, the vitamins are not intended to be taken forever.  Once we figure out the cause of a patient’s problem, we use vitamins and diet and therapies to fix the problem so that the patient does not need to continue to take many vitamins after they are finished with their care plan.

This patient states that his blood test was near normal.   That is sometimes the case.   But “near normal” is not normal and is exactly the reason why we run the in-depth testing that we do.  Superficial testing done in a typical doctors’ office does not typically test what we test.  That doctors’ office would have probably told this patient that his results were normal when they are not and the patient would have continued to suffer.  Also, this patient did not mention what any other test results might have shown.

With regard to Dr. McFarland being “in network,” that only applies to traditional chiropractic services, which is not to what we do.    Each patient’s office visit is dependent on that patient’s care plan and the amount of time a doctor spends with that patient and the plan preparation and monitoring.   Each patient knows the cost of their office visit before starting care.  Again, without knowing the identity of this patient, I cannot address the price of his particular office visit.   With regard to insurance coverage for our services, a few insurance companies will reimburse patients for natural, wellness types of office visits and some will not.  Diagnostic testing though is typically reimbursed.   We go over all of this with each patient at the time they start care.  It is in writing and discussed with the patient.  All coding is provided to every patient by our insurance department.  We also make sure that every patient receives the most benefit possible from their insurance company by working with them to get full information to their insurance carrier.

We have not had an early termination fee for well over a year.   We rarely have terminations and when we did, we waived it more often than we imposed it, which is why we did away with it.  It was $250. Again, this would be the type of issue I would be happy to discuss and resolve with any patient.

I wish I was able to post the hours and hours of video testimonials we have from patients who tell us that we changed lives.  I encourage the patient who filed this report and any other person with concerns about his report to contact me directly to discuss any questions they may have.   I also encourage people to visit our website to read my story and learn about the doctors’ credentials.  It would upset me greatly if even one person decided not to get the help they need without having all the information that is specific to their particular health condition.

Caroline Boardman, President of Functional Endocrinology of Ohio