- Report: #1102441
Report - Rebuttal - Arbitrate
Complaint Review: Dr. Gene Abel
Dr. Gene Abel1401 Peachtree Street, #140, Atlanta, GA 30309 Atlanta, Select State/Province USA
Dr. Gene Abel Abel Assessment for Sexual InterestDianna ScreenBehavioral Medicine Institue of Atlanta Total Scam Artist Quack and Liar Atlanta Georgia
*Consumer Comment: Full McGinnis Statement 02-14-2010 Tribune Article
*Consumer Comment: McGinnis statement in Tribune article 10-16-2008
*Consumer Comment: Arrest at McGinnis' facility in 2008
*Consumer Comment: Some supporting facts of your opinion would be helpful
*Author of original report: Salon.com is doing an article on Dr. Abel RE Fraud
*Author of original report: Dr. Gene Abel's Work Began as Conversion Therapy (To Turn Gays Straight)
A business' first
line of defense
on the Internet.
If your business is
willing to make a
Click here now..
Dr. Gene Abel is a total quack who sells millions of dollars worth of equpment to governments to control sex offenders that doesn't work. His Abel Assesment and Dianna Scree at total jokes.
Gene Abel is an American psychiatrist who works primarily with sexual predators. He is the creator of the Abel Assessment for Sexual Interests, a sex offender assessment tool that has been considered unreliable by independent studies and inadmissible in court in various jurisdictions.
Abel is the creator of the Abel Assessment for Sexual Interest (AASI). It is a multi-part assessment that is used to measure a person's sexual interest in people of different ages. The assessment uses a person's self-reported sexual arousal based on images show to them during the assessment. He is also the author of the Diana Screen, a test claimed to be able to tell if someone has molested a child.
Mental health professionals have used the AASI to civilly commit sex offenders, even though the Assessment is not admissible in many courts in the United States. In 2002, the Assessment was found to be inadmissible in court cases in the State of Massachusetts, a ruling that was upheld by the Massachusetts Court of Appeals in 2005. In a court decision on the admissibility of the test, it was referred to as "magic of young Harry Potter's mixing potions at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." Abel states in his book that a therapist can use the Assessment as a tool to determine if a child is attracted to other children. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals also ruled in 2004 that the Assessment is a tool that is used only as treatment, and that it cannot detect whether a person has sexually abused children. Independent studies of the Assessment have concluded it to be unreliable in adults and that there is not yet enough information to support its use with adolescents.
The Diana Screen has also been a source of controversy for Abel due to it being a pass/fail assessment. The assessment is said to be able to determine if someone has molested a child. It was also reported that Abel has pushed the use of the Diana Screen as a business opportunity for individuals and agencies.
Here's the truth about the Abel Assessment:
What does the Abel Assessment REALLY measure?
All of the above information about the abel Assessment is true, but what does it REALLY measure. During the first part of the test, it very simply measures your REACTION TIME for various pictures and how you rate each picture. You will be shown 160 slides of boys, girls, men and women dressed normally, dressed in underwear, dressed with bathing suits and in different situations. Some scenes will depict subjects tied up to reflect "bondage". Some scenes will show ladies dressing through a window. Some scenes will show a man touching people in public.
REACTION TIME - You will be shown these series of slides 2 times, the first time ONLY measures how long you view each slide. If you view a particular slide longer than the developers of this test believe that you have a desire to be attracted to this sexually deviant behavior. In other words, if you take longer to look at a picture of a lady dressing through a window, then you have an interest in voyerism. If you look longer at children in bathing suits, then you have sexual interests in children. If you take longer to view a picture of a women in bondage, then you probably have a sexual desire towards this behavior. This may not be true, but if you make the mistake of taking extra time, then you WILL be labelled as a child molester, a person who enjoys voyerism, or a person who enjoys bondage.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A LONG REACTION TIME? - It is all based on your average time looking at all of the pictures. If you look at each the "normal" pictures for 2 seconds, and look at the more perverted pictures for 5 seconds, plan of being labelled "a pervert". I don't want to tell you what to do, but if you are a normal person, then your reaction time to the perverted pictures will be LESS than the normal pictures.
The second time through the slides, you will rate the slides on a scale of 1-7. If you believe the image is "thoroughly disgusting or revolting", then select "1". If the image is sexually exciting, then select "7". There are no "right or wrong answers", but you need to understand that this test is supposed to measure your opinion of having a sexual relation with these people, not just your opinion of these pictures. A picture of a child in a bathing suit may not be revolting to you, but having a sexual relation with this child is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
After you have viewed and rated the pictures, the next part is the questionnaire. This part is very straight forward, but you should understand that a "normal person" DOES have feelings such as impatience, feelings of anger and has viewed some pornography. If you answer the questions and state that ... you do not get angry ... you do not become impatient ... or you have never viewed pornography, then the developers of this test will consider that you are NOT truthful. ... Not Good!
FINAL THOUGHTS - I do not want to tell you what what the right answers are to the various questions, nor is this page devoted to "deceiving the Abel Assessment". Rather it is to educate you on what the Abel Assessment REALLY tests. Also understand that this test will not determine whether you have committed a crime or not, but rather it will determine whether you have tendencies towards abnormal sexual desires.
- Jump up ^ Churchman, Deborah (4 October 1988). "Is Child Abuse a Disease? Making a Case for Treating Sex Offenders". The Washington Post (High Beam). Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- ^ Jump up to: a b c d Ewing, Charles Patrick (January 2006). "Testing tool in question". American Psychological Association 37 (1): 67. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Jump up ^ Micolucci, Vic (27 June 2013). "Test could be missing link in background checks". NBC 4 Jax. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- ^ Jump up to: a b Fischer, L (July 1999). "Statistical adequacy of the Abel Assessment for Interest in Paraphilias". Sex Abuse (Pub Med): 195–205. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Jump up ^ United States of America v. Guy Randy White Horse (U.S. District Court, South Dakota Western Division 2001). Text
- Jump up ^ Smith, Gillan MacLean (1998). "Testing the Reliability and Validity of the Abel Assessment". Department of Counseling and Special Education (Brigham Young University).
- Jump up ^ Kim, Timothy F. (1 October 2006). "Sexual abuse cycle can be broken, experts assert.". Internal Medicine News (High Beam). Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Jump up ^ Vladimir, Coric (November 2005). "Assessing Sex Offenders". Psychiatry (Pub Med): 26–29. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- ^ Jump up to: a b Franklin, Karen (30 December 2008). "Will “revolutionary” Diana Screen end pedophile menace?". Forensic Psychologist. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Jump up ^ Abel, Gene G. (1 January 1988). Behavioral treatment of child molesters. Lawrence Bribaum Associates.
- Jump up ^ Abel, Gene G. (24 December 2001). The Stop Child Molestation Book. ISBN 9781401034801.
- ^ Jump up to: a b Myers, John E.B. (2005). Myers on Evidence in Child, Domestic, and Elder Abuse. Aspen. ISBN 9780735556683.
This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2013 04:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Dr-Gene-Abel/Atlanta-Select-StateProvince-30309/Dr-Gene-Abel-Abel-Assessment-for-Sexual-InterestDianna-ScreenBehavioral-Medicine-Institu-1102441. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.
Ripoff Report has an exclusive license to this report. It may not be copied without the written permission of Ripoff Report.
If you would like to see more Rip-off Reports on this company/individual, search here:Search Tips
In order to assure the best results in your search:
- Keep the name short & simple, and try different variations of the name.
- Do not include ".com", "S", "Inc.", "Corp", or "LLC" at the end of the Company name.
- Use only the first/main part of a name to get best results.
- Only search one name at a time if Company has many AKA's.