Complaint Review: Drive Time - Ugly Duckling

• Updated: Wed, October 07, 2009

• Reported By: K — anywhere Florida USA
Drive Time - Ugly Duckling
11700 Us Highway 10 N Clearwater, Florida United States of America

Drive Time - Ugly Duckling UGLY DUCKLING Harassing and threatening Clearwater, Florida

*General Comment: K, You are so wrong on several counts

I am so appalled at this company, for starters as anyone who has purchased a car from drivetime you know that they have you so upside down in a loan and at such a ridiculous rate that you will never be able to finishing paying but since your credit is less than desirable they have you, more like they prey on you.

My husband is active duty and because of this I had to leave my job causing a significant loss of income, I explained this to them every time they call which was twice a day but this time they have gone too far, I answer the phone to explain that I will either be returning the pos or i have a friend who may be able to take over my payments after explaining a resolution to the said debt she then proceeds to ask me why I haven't been paying, again after I explained why. We began discussing SCRA and she tells me to have him add himself to the loan, I explained to her that I wasn't able to because he was away at boot camp and even if we did I wouldn't be able to continue paying, this woman has enough nerve to tell me she will be contacting his commanding officer about my personal debt, because this doesn't look good for my husband.

I was so upset, that I called drivetime to lodge a complaint and the woman on that end ask me what I thought they would do, that they would be following up and reporting this to his commanding officer!!!! I was so furious, I told her that is illegal that she cannot contact a third party about this debt and she told she could and would, that I needed to get my facts straight, I then explained that he wasn't even on my loan and it was drawn prior to marriage, this woman then says that I was correct that they couldn't do that.

The frustrating part is that violates the fair debt collecting act on many levels, she cannot contact a third party regardless if he was on my loan or not, and who is so disrespectful to threaten someone with that.

This company should be sued and shut  down for their behavior and loan sharking!!!

I have filed a complaint with every possible company, I suggest you all do the same, so something can be done about this rip off joint. The FTC complies complaints to build a pattern of bad business practices against a company then takes action.

Fair Trade  FTC.gov
Better Business Bureau www.bbb.com
Attorney Generals Office naag.org
Florida Office of Financial Regulation flofr.com

And I am still not done, I have never been so embarrassed and offended. The worst part is I wasn't arguing with them about the debt or trying to fight, I was trying to resolve the matter and this is the treatment that I received.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/06/2009 07:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drive-Time-Ugly-Duckling/Clearwater-Florida-33764/Drive-Time-Ugly-Duckling-UGLY-DUCKLING-Harassing-and-threatening-Clearwater-Florida-505444. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drive Time - Ugly Duckling

#1 General Comment

K, You are so wrong on several counts

AUTHOR: IamGood - (USA)

K:

1.  Drive Time is a  direct lender, not a 3rd party collection agency.  The Fair Debt Collections Practices Act does not apply to them

2.  If your husband was on the loan, and he was in the service, they DO have the right to call his commanding officer.  (As your husband was not on the loan, however they would have no right to call him)

The reason companies like drive time are so strict with their customer's is that all of you have prior histories of VERY POOR CREDIT.

You should be glad there are companies like Drive Time that iwll extend auto credit to you.  Otherwise you would be taking the bus every day.