Complaint Review: Drive Time

• Submitted: Sat, May 09, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, May 13, 2009

• Reported By:Jacksonville Florida
Drive Time
10384 Atlantic Blvd Jacksonville, Florida U.S.A.

Drive Time No Grace Period Loans, Legal???? Come help me find out! Jacksonville Florida

*Consumer Comment: I'm amazed.

*Consumer Comment: Jaded

*Consumer Comment: Unfortunate but...

My name is Leslee and I live in Jacksonville Florida. I purchased a car from Drive time in January where I put down 2000 dollars. Because my credit is poor I had to sign a loan that states no grace period. My Fiances son died on march 9th and we incurred many funeral expenses and were out of work for weeks. I have tried to keep up to date with the payments and stay in contact with these people. Since January I have paid 3372.08 on a car that I found out (when I tried to refinance) is only worth 7600.00 ( and I owe 13000.00 still). I have not been more than 5 business days late with them and have done everything in my power to try and even get ahead. I had a check returned to them and put a money order in the mail in the same city yesterday. I received a call this morning where I explained yet again the circumstances and offered proof of the situation ( I would send a death certificate, proof that I haven't worked because of funeral ect., and a copy of the money order that is in the mail and should have been there). I assured the woman that I was back to work and should be getting all my ducks in a row very shortly. The woman on the other end of the phone explained to me that she is real sorry but that because of the no grace period on my loan she doesn't have to accept late payments and basically let me know the car is going to be repossessed. I explained to her that I would not have given them over 3200 dollars in 5 months if I planned to get my car repossed. At this point I asked her to discuss the situation with my fiance because I was in tears and she said she didn't have to talk to him. I said I give you my permission because I can't do this right now. He got on the phone against her will and she proceeded to hand up on him. I am a few hours short of being a paralegal and am presently in school. I am more than willing to help figure what needs to be done to either shut these people down or make them follow more ethical practices. I feel like they prey on other peoples misfortune and I am sure people in our legal system will be able to see this and make judgments accordingly. As my fiance says, they use strong armed tactics to put the fear or god in all of us. I can't imagine how they have gotten away with this for as long as they have.
I AM IN ON A CLASS ACTION SUIT ALL DAY LONG! I don't know what practices we would go against or if we can throw all of them in there because of peoples numerous complaints but I am in all day long. I suggest we create a team, one person from each state to contact and compile information on these people. This way we can research state laws accordingly and know if we can see about federal changes or if we need to get an attorney or group) that can handle the necessary states that they practice in. Please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience so that we can do something to stop these cheating bullies and prevent if from happening to anyone else. I will create a hotmail account my self, change my present info and forward it to you if you would like to proceed. I hope to hear from you soon. Please sign up and rebut so that we may find a way to contact and do something about this bully.

Jacksonville, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/09/2009 10:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drive-Time/Jacksonville-Florida-32225/Drive-Time-No-Grace-Period-Loans-Legal-Come-help-me-find-out-Jacksonville-Florida-450221. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drive Time

I'm amazed.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (U.S.A.)

As an almost paralegal, why is it that you haven't grasped the obvious here. Your credit was poor to start with (I wonder why), so ended up getting a loan with a subprime lender, a.k.a. last chance lender. You sign a contract that stipulates you must pay ON TIME with no exceptions. Then you proceed to pay late and even give them a bogus check. And now you're mad at them??? What planet are you from where you can repeatedly breach a contract and then assume you can prevail in court? I've never been to paralegal school, but even I know that is ridiculous. It doesn't matter why you are (repeatedly) late with your payments. Your personal problems are not the finance company's problem. Sounds harsh, but that is the way the financial world works.

When you do finally get to work for a lawyer, have him/her explain what a class action suit is. Here's a hint, I've been on the winning side of class action suits many times over the years, and the only ones who got anything were the lawyers. That's how it works.

Lastly, next time you go car shopping, do a little homework before commiting thousands of dollars on a car. A car dealer will sell you a burnt out Ford Fiesta for $25,000 if that's what you agree to pay. Most people wouldn't buy a $50 gadget without looking around to find a good deal, but when they walk onto a car lot, they feel compelled to pay whatever the salesman tells them to pay. Go figure.

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

I expect that the reason they won't listen to your tale of woe is that they hear sob stories all day as excuses. Some true and some lies.

I don't think you're lying but they don't know so they can't really bend for one story and not another. Many people would never pay at all if they accepted excuses.

It's too bad things have to be like this - on both the lenders and borrowers part - but that's the way it is these days.

you have to pay on time.

Unfortunate but...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

"" I am a few hours short of being a paralegal and am presently in school. I am more than willing to help figure what needs to be done to either shut these people down or make them follow more ethical practices. ""

What do you expect a lawsuit to accomplish? What law or regulation do you suppose they have violated?

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you take a course in basic contract law-this will help you in the future.

Credit contracts DO NOT HAVE A GRACE PERIOD UNLESS it is specifically called for in the written loan/credit agreement. This is true for ANY type of credit; auto loan, mortgage, credit card, etc. If there is NO MENTION of a grace period in the written agreement, there isn't one.

Your problem is compounded by the fact that your auto loan is relatively NEW (with 3 months of payments; Feb, Mar, Apr-down payment doesn't count) and you have already been LATE and had a check payment RETURNED for insufficient funds. Most PRIME auto lenders will NOT TOLERATE this on a new loan. Had you made payments for 18 months or more, they would probably be more tolerant.

They can and will repossess the vehicle if you don't reach some sort of agreement with them. If they reposses the vehicle, they will ad repo fees and auction fees to the BALANCE you owe on the loan. Then they will probably seek a judgment against you for the balance-a civil judgment can be reported on credit reports for the length of the statute of limitations for civil judgments in the State inwhich the court that makes the award resides.

I wish you luck with this but it appears to me that you bit off more than you could afford with this auto loan. In the future, try to have a cash reserve of at least 6 months of your take home pay before taking on any new credit obligations.

Good luck.