Complaint Review: DriveTime

• Updated: Mon, October 14, 2013

• Reported By: Amanda — Brandon Florida
DriveTime
8805 E Adamo Dr Tampa, Florida USA

DriveTime Didn't save that WalMart receipt from the oil you bought 3 months ago?! You're screwed! Tampa Florida

*General Comment: you showed them

*Consumer Comment: Subprime All The Way, Eh?

Last July I had the misfortune of purchasing a 2005 Chevy Equinox from DriveTime in Brandon, FL. I was sold the vehicle under the pretense that I had a warranty that would cover major repairs if necessary.

Last week, after driving the car for ONE YEAR the engine AND transmission blew up on my way to work. No "check engine" light or other warning signals. Out of nowhere it began clicking (the engine) and revving too high before changing gears (the transmission). I immediately parked it on the side of the road and called a tow truck.

The mechanic that DriveTime insisted I go to confirmed that the engine and transmission both needed to be REPLACED. Not repaired. Replaced. He also confirmed that there were absolutely no signs that I had failed to maintain the vehicle. All fluids were full, no belts were warn and the oil was clear without sludge.

Not long after I talked to the mechanic, DriveTime's warranty department contacted me to say that I had to supply them with ALL maintenace receipts since the date I purchased the vehicle. Here's where they get you on a technicality.....

ONE of the 3 oil changes done on the car over the past year was performed by my neighbor and because I didn't have a copy of the WalMart receipt for the oil he purchased they are REFUSING to repair the engine. As a pitiful attempt to make me feel better, they offered to pay for the transmission as long as I agreed to pay for the engine. If I can't afford $3K for the transmission how the hell do they think I can afford $5K for the engine?! Beside the fact that if I had that kind of money, I would NEVER have bought a car from DriveTime to begin with!!

This all went down last Thursday. It is now Monday and I've spoken to nearly 15 people. I told them that if they will not honor their warranty, they now have a broken down Equinox to put back in their inventory. After I told them to come get it, they said it was my responsibility to return it to the dealership. And how exactly am I supposed to drive a car with a blown engine and transmission?!

So now it sits at Auto Clinic of Brandon and it will continue to sit there until they come get it. I will however make sure that the ceramic brakes and new rotors that I installed 2 weeks ago are not on the car when they come get it. Just for spite.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/14/2013 12:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DriveTime-/Tampa-Florida-33619/DriveTime-Didnt-save-that-WalMart-receipt-from-the-oil-you-bought-3-months-ago-Youre-1091873. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DriveTime

#1 General Comment

you showed them

AUTHOR: buck - ()

They are still gona make you pay for the car. they're goning to sue  you then garnish your wages.. then you are going to have a repo and a jugement. Good luck on your credit.

Subprime All The Way, Eh?

AUTHOR: Jim - ()

So then, the engine and transmission "blew up"?  Was there any other damage to surrounding structures due to the debris?  But in the end, you sure showed them!  Imagine all the problems you caused them by returning the car in a voluntary repo.  Right this very second, I can imagine how all of them are wringing their hands and some may have already committed suicide because of what you did to them.  Well, have fun savoring all the hardship you caused them by your voluntary repo.  You'll have plenty of time as you walk and ride the bus!