Complaint Review: DriveTime

• Submitted: Mon, August 11, 2008
  • Updated: Mon, August 11, 2008

• Reported By:Lewisville Texas
DriveTime
1280 S.Stemmons Freeway Lewisville, Texas U.S.A.

DriveTime - The "Go To Guys" For Buying A Lemon.... Financed repairs, high fees, bad service, found that car had been in a wreck and not disclosed Lewisville Texas

So I went to DriveTime for 2 obvious reasons. One, I have less-than-stellar credit and two, I needed a car. Being a buy here, pay here type of dealership, I was approved. I expected a high interest rate due to my credit, but even then 18% was a little much. I drove off the lot in a 2003 Taurus that worked perfectly for the first 4 months. Small thing started going wrong, but no big deal. Then my blower motor went out for the climate control. No good in Texas.

So I was having it replaced and the mechanic asked how long ago the car had been hit. I told him it hadn't been. He told me the reason that my blower motor and blower resister went out was because the car had been in a wreck and the heater coil had cracked, leaking and rusting out my blower motor. Ahh... they gave me a report stating it had never been hit... Then I had to replace the starter. Then the transmission started slipping a little. Then it started slipping a lot. Then the entire electrical system fried out on me. So, I contact DriveTime to see what they could do.

At this point, I had 2+ years PERFECT payment history. Of course, the value of the car was only around $2k, but I still owed over $8k plus interest. The only solutions they offered? First, finance the repairs, tack the bill onto my loan, and be $3k more upside down in a car that had over 100k miles on it. Second, a repo. No offer of trading or getting another car. It is unfortunate, because my credit went up quite a bit over the 2 years I financed through DriveTime.

I just went elsewhere and bought a truck. (One that works!) So now I have this broken down Ford that can't really be fixed that DriveTime is refusing to come pick up rusting in my parking lot. They want me to have it towed back, even though I told them it was broken and I wasn't going to pay for it.

I wish there was some way to get this whole fiasco taken off my credit. They're nothing more than ripoff artists taking advantage of people who have bad credit and making it worse in the long run for the individuals.

I've learned that when they repo a car, they simply fix it and then resell it to the next poor sap.

DON'T BE THAT POOR SAP!! Don't go to DriveTime!

Tim
Lewisville, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/11/2008 01:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/DriveTime/Lewisville-Texas-75067/DriveTime-The-Go-To-Guys-For-Buying-A-Lemon-Financed-repairs-high-fees-bad-servi-361683. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on DriveTime