Complaint Review: Drivetime

• Submitted: Tue, February 22, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, February 22, 2011

• Reported By: Drivetime Dummy — Greensboro North Carolina United States of America
Drivetime
Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

Drivetime DTCredit Corp Harrassment Phoenix, Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Threatening bankruptcy usually backfires.

*Consumer Comment: Where is the RipOff?

I made the mistake of purchasing a vehicle from Drivetime.  So far my vehicle has been good to me, excluding the promises that I was made prior to purchase (never carried out  by DT once the papers were signed).  I have made all payments on time and then fell on hard times.  I have been put on a final warning at work because DT will  not stop calling me.  They call me every 15 minutes.  They continue to threaten me.  Yesterday I told the rep (via email) that I am going to file bankruptcy.  The response (which I saved) is that if I can afford an attorney to file bankruptcy, I should be able to afford my payment.  I may not have the best credit in the world but I am not garbage and will not continue to be harassed or talked down on by DT.  I am tired of their harassment and their threats.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/22/2011 08:22 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Drivetime/Phoenix-Arizona-/Drivetime-DTCredit-Corp-Harrassment-Phoenix-Arizona-698404. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Drivetime

Threatening bankruptcy usually backfires.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"By the way bankruptcy WILL NOT stop the reposession. "

In many cases, if you tell a creditor that you are going to declare bankruptcy, that will often cause them to stop collection efforts and move straight to repossesion.    The idea is to do the reposession before the bankruptcy is offically filed.   This is often done so that the creditor can bypass the delays that are incurred once the debtor officially declares.

Telling a creditor that you are going to declare bankruptcy is a dumb move.  There is no upside and a very large downside.

Where is the RipOff?

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

While you didn't say what the "threats" were, if you are not paying your loan I would bet that the "threats" are that they are going to reposess the car.  Well I have news for you..that is NOT a threat.  The loan is secured by the car, and if you are delinquent they not only can reposess it.  They WILL reposess it.  Once they reposess it they will sell it at auction and you will still be responsible for the remaining balance.

By the way bankruptcy WILL NOT stop the reposession.  It may stop the calls and delay it for a while.  But in the end unless you make the payments, they will reposess it.  The only difference here is that they won't hold you responsible for the balance if it is reposessed.

It doesn't matter what fianance company you are with, they would all be doing the same thing if you are delinquent.