Complaint Review: E-Z Rent-a-Car

• Updated: Wed, August 07, 2013

• Reported By: Renee — Chatsworth California
E-Z Rent-a-Car
2003 McCoy Road Suite A Orlando, Florida USA

E-Z Rent-a-Car Claimed I damaged their car, when I didn't, and sent me a $2,000 bill! Dallas/Fort Worth Airport Texas

I went on vacation about month ago. I had booked the car and flight through Priceline, and they found me the cheapest car rental available at DFW. As it turned out, that place was called EZ Rent-a-Car, and it was the last little (cheap and run-down looking) rental office in the car rental center. When I got to the desk, around midnight, there was no one there. After searching for several minutes, I saw that someone had finally showed up. They wanted to charge me almost $300 (week) for a tiny economy vehicle that wasn't big enough to hold our (3 pieces of) luggage, so for an extra $5/day, they allowed me to upgrade to a little Chevy Malibu, a modest but cute little blue car.

While inspecting it, I noticed several little blemishes, but nothing major. Just the usual little nicks from flying gravel, etc., that one sees on a car that is a few years old. Still, I was concerned that I might get charged for these, as if I had caused the damage, so I mentioned this to the guy at the desk (the only person at the place at that time). He assured me that they understand this is a rental car, not new and perfect, and that I had no need to worry. It was very dark, and very late, so I noted 1 or 2 of the more noticeable (but still minute) chips on the check-out form, and completed the paperwork.

When I returned the car 1 week later, completely undamaged--I hadn't even bumped my luggage against it--the woman who was receiving the vehicles pointed out the tiniest little dent on one of the doors--it was so small, I could not have seen it in the dark--it was like a little pinprick, barely visible, and the paint wasn't even chipped. I said I didn't do that, and I can barely see it anyway, and you know, seriously? But she marked the return form like it was a new dent (the only blemish she noted on the return form), and she told me I could write a statement on the form. So I wrote a statement saying I had not damaged the car, that the dent in question was barely visible, etc., but that I had not done any damage to the vehicle. I insisted on getting a copy of my statement (she had to go to another building to make the copy)--and now I'm glad I did.

Today I got a thick letter in the mail from EZ Rent-a-Car, and it was a bill for "damage sustained" while the car was in my possession--for nearly $2,000!! The breakdown of items fixed included bumper and grill, etc.--none of which had been mentioned by the receiving inspector as having any damage!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/07/2013 08:25 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/E-Z-Rent-a-Car/Orlando-Florida-32809/E-Z-Rent-a-Car-Claimed-I-damaged-their-car-when-I-didnt-and-sent-me-a-2000-bill-Dal-1074021. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on E-Z Rent-a-Car