Complaint Review: eMusic

• Submitted: Tue, February 15, 2011
  • Updated: Tue, February 15, 2011

• Reported By: K — Upstate New York U.S.A.

eMusic If account is suspended, they make you pay for another month to be able to cancel Internet

I used this service for a while, but at the time had a hard time finding music I liked.  (I believe they do have a wider selection now.)  Anyway, because of this and needing to tighten my budget, I had tried to cancel the service via the website and thought I had succeeded.  Also, after this, I was limiting the amount of money in the debit/credit account that emusic had on file and was using it only for paying certain bills.  The following month, one of these bill payments got messed up, and when I looked into it, it was because eMusic charged me again!  I contacted them and said I had cancelled my account and shouldn't have been billed again.  They said they would go ahead and cancel the account.  Instead, they tried to put the charge through again, and again it wasn't accepted.  I tried canceling the account myself via the appropriate link on the website and was unable to access it.  I contacted customer service again, who then told me that only active accounts could be canceled, and my account was suspended, and therefore not active, because the monthly renewal charge did not go through. The only way to reactivate the account was to pay for another month!  That was why they had tried to put the charge through again after I asked them to cancel the account.  They did not tell me this beforehand.  So I told them I had to put more money in that bank account to do that and not to immediately attempt charging that card again. Fortunately, they did give me some time to transfer funds, but what a ripoff to have to reactivate an account just to cancel it!  If it was already "inactive" why could they not just delete it then?

One more thing that did always bother me about them was that your plan gave you a certain number of downloads per month, but any you did not use before the next billing did not roll over, even though you paid for them.  Like I said, they used to have less of a selection, so there were several months when I lost downloads for not using them.  I suppose this is how they try to make up for the initial offers of all the free songs for joining.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/15/2011 12:37 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/eMusic/internet/eMusic-If-account-is-suspended-they-make-you-pay-for-another-month-to-be-able-to-cancel-695501. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on eMusic