Complaint Review: earthlink

• Updated: Tue, March 11, 2014

• Reported By: jen — haverhill Massachusetts
earthlink
, Select State/Province USA

earthlink Overcharged, charged card that was on file for one time payment every month, lied about cancellation terms

*Consumer Comment: Hmm...

*Author of original report: oral contract

*Consumer Comment: I would guess you signed a contract and have a WRITTEN copy of it.

When I first signed up with Earthlink they told me that it was fine if I cancelled in a few months, there would be no fee. I just went to cancell and was told that that was a lie, and the guy refused to budge. I told him I never would have signed up with them if I knew that, since I knew I wouldnt have it that long

This was the worst internet connection you could possibly imagine. I had problems straight from the start, but because of the price I decided the part time internet service (it constantly cut out) was worrth the cheap price.

I never received a bill to see what they were charging me, all along I find out later they were just taking money out of my account. I never signed up for the automatic withdrawl. The person I signed up with told me it was going to be a one time payment. Then when I finally started wondering why I wasnt getting bills I look at my bank statement and realize not only is it coming out but it is way more than I was quoted!

I feel this company lied to me in every way they possibly could have. It is just ridiculous they could even get away with one of these things! I will be so glad to get rid of them. Although I am so mad that they are going to charge me a 90 dollar "early cancellation fee". This is just not even right!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2014 07:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/earthlink/Select-StateProvince/earthlink-Overcharged-charged-card-that-was-on-file-for-one-time-payment-every-month-li-1130014. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on earthlink

Hmm...

AUTHOR: MochaG - ()

Did you ever gotten an email from them? Nowadays, a signed contract does not need to be signed with a pen. This type of service may get your authorization by phone. They should send you a contract via email. If it is Eartlink, I am quite sure that they would set up an email account for you regardless you want it or not. That said, you must get on the account and check on the email they set up for you. It is quite a sneaky way but it seems to be legal for their way of business. Not sure you could sue them for any damage. Giving permission on the phone is not equal to verbal contract because the permission is then translated to a written contract on their side once you accepted their service. In other words, a salesman can say anything he or she wants, you must always ask for a written contract before you accept the term or sign.

oral contract

AUTHOR: jen - ()

there was never a written contract. I never signed anything. Everything agreed upon was over the phone and I understood the man perfectly. He didn't even have an accent.

I would guess you signed a contract and have a WRITTEN copy of it.

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

It makes NO difference what you were "told" the WRITTEN contract governs in EVERY case.  Have you even read it yet?