Complaint Review: earthlink

• Updated: Sun, June 05, 2011

• Reported By: scammed by earthlink — Park Ridge Illinois USA
earthlink
1375 Peachtree Atlanta, Georgia United States of America

earthlink peoplepc phone/billing scam after cancelling they claim you didn't cancel but agreed to renew then they say u you didnt cancel later and bill for noncancellation Atlanta, Georgia

I called to cancel my internet service with PeoplePc on Dec 30, 2010. On Dec 31, 2010 I chatted with a rep named Alen to confirm the cancellation. He confirmed that the service had been  cancelled. He confirmed that I didn't owe any money and that I would receive no further bills. Nonetheless, I received further bills. I asked for a charge back from the credit card company, but they refused staing that PeoplePC insisted that I never contacted them and therefore there was no cancellation. I then produced a transcript of the chat session that proved that I had cancelled the service.

They agreed with my proof.  I continued to receive bills by mail. When I called Peoplepc they iniitally stated that I had not cancelled the service. After I stated I had a transcript of the chat session, they stated that I owed no money and would receive no further bills. This scenario repeated itself 3 times. They continued to send bills, anyway They then turned me over to collection despite multiple promises that I would receive no further bills. Yesterday I chatted with People pc and they asked for a cancellation confirmation number "without which I had no valid cancellation".

I produced the chat session indicating the service was cancelled over 5 months ago. They now stated their clever little scam that on December 30th I had agreed to extend the service for another month and that I had no proof I cancelled it then. I confronted them with the chat session that made no note on their end of a so-called extension and that in fact they agreed during that chat session that the service had been cancelled. When that didn't work they said the chat session  didn't mention Earthlink. I countered that their claims and bills mentioned Peoplepc not Earthlink. It is pretty obvious what kind of scam this is. What is amazing is that even in a case such as mine in whihc I was smart enough to copy the chat session  they are so confident of their ability to scam that they persist anyway!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/05/2011 06:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/earthlink/Atlanta-Georgia-30309/earthlink-peoplepc-phonebilling-scam-after-cancelling-they-claim-you-didnt-cancel-but-ag-737157. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on earthlink