Complaint Review: ebay

• Updated: Sat, February 22, 2014

• Reported By: Mitch — Trinidad California
2065 Hamilton Avenue San Jose, California USA

ebay useless customer non-support San Jose California

Imagine a company that treats its long term customers like dirt.  How long do you think a company like that will remain viable.  Not long.

I've bought and sold on ebay for more than a decade, with great satisfaction.  I'm not a large buyer or a large seller, but have a feedback history of 240 positives and no negatives.
In November 2013, I made a purchase and noticed that the shipping address was set to someone I'd never heard of in a city I've never been.  I contacted the seller and ebay, and the seller sent the item to my correct address.  I notified ebay, and assumed the problem was resolved.
Last week, I made two purchases, fortunately small ones.  I didn't bother looking at the shipping address.  It was the same false address as in November 2013.  Both sellers have already shipped.  Ebay customer support tells me I should return the items, which would be rather difficult since I don't know the person to whom they have shipped and live across the continent from them.
The second customer service agent I spoke with, Vince, really tried to be helpful.  He came up with the fact that my primary shipping address had been changed in 2012.  (That doesn't really fit things, as I had a number of items sent to my correct address after the supposed date of the change.)  Vince walked me through updating my primary shipping address, on a screen I hadn't visited, because having searched my account's "Personal Information" page and seen my correct address, it hadn't occurred to me to check for a false address on another page.  Vince offered to transfer me to security, and I ended up on hold on a Saturday morning for at least ten minutes before hanging up.
So, as best as I can tell, I am now out about $20 for items I will never receive.  The sellers are not at fault.  Ebay shows not the slightest inclination to resolve the situation -- it provides the usual corporate bullshit message about my call being important, but it doesn't answer its own fraud line within 10 minutes, even for someone who has already been speaking with a customer service agent.
This is the sort of treatment that a company can get away with for a while, but that creates the level of customer dissatisfaction that means customers will flee the moment they feel a viable alternative exists.  I know I certainly will.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/22/2014 01:09 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ebay/San-Jose-California-95125/ebay-useless-customer-non-support-San-Jose-California-1125718. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ebay