Complaint Review: ECPI Technical College, ECPI College Of Technology

• Submitted: Wed, March 26, 2003
  • Updated: Tue, July 01, 2008

• Reported By:Morrisville North Carolina
ECPI Technical College, ECPI College Of Technology
5555 Greenwich Road Virginia Beach, Virginia U.S.A.

ECPI Technical College, ECPI College Of Technology Rip-off lied about costs credentials services Virginia Beach Virginia

*Consumer Comment: Good post Andrew

*Consumer Comment: I loved ECPI!

The scam began before I even enrolled. That's how they get you. I was told that the program I was entering would give me an AAS Degree in Web Development. I was also told that ECPI had a 98% job placement rate. I knew it wouldn't be handed to me, but it sounded encouraging, and I enrolled.

During the course of my study at ECPI, smoke was constantly blown up my you-know-what about how I was learning state-of-the art technology, and how companies were looking for people with the skills we were learning. Then they proceed to teach us Database Architecture using Microsoft Access. As for the "hands-on approach" they spoke about so much?

The class in Java was taught with a Visual tool that didn't even work. We actually had to "imagine" applying our lectures to the workplace. The classes were taught by people with no previous teaching experience. Not to mention the discrepencies in treatment of black students and white students (I was a white student who was treated unfairly well in comparison to others).

About a month before graduation, I learned that I wouldn't be receiving an AAS Degree, despite being at the top of my class. It turned out that ECPI was not accredited, and therefore could not give out any degree in Web Development. Not a word of this was ever spoken by any teacher or administrator. They just smiled and handed me a $16,000 diploma.

And the 98% job placement rate they bragged about? Well, I graduated at the top of my class. In fact, I was the only one in my original class to graduate on time. I worked hard, put in a tremendous amount of time, and what did it get me? A part-time, $10 an hour job doing something almost totally unrelated to what I had studied at ECPI. It was a complete waste of time and a lot of money.

Keep in mind that these revelations came slowly, and mostly toward the end of my stay at ECPI. After so much time had been wasted and thousands of dollars spent. So why did I bother finishing? Well, the whole time I was at ECPI, they spoke of the benefits of being an ECPI graduate. A big one being that you could come back at any time, and take any classes for free. Once an ECPI student, always an ECPI student, they would say. It was covered by the original tuition.

So when they finally were able to offer the AAS Degree, they wanted an additional $5,000. When I spoke with someone in the main office, they apologized for the fact that I was misinformed. That was the last straw, as I am currently exploring legal action against ECPI. ECPI is not a school, it is a fraudulant organization that collects thousands of dollars from thosands of people, on the promise of a better future. Problem is, you can't see the truth until you get there.

Andrew
Morrisville, North Carolina

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/26/2003 01:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/ECPI-Technical-College-ECPI-College-Of-Technology/Virginia-Beach-Virginia-23462/ECPI-Technical-College-ECPI-College-Of-Technology-Rip-off-lied-about-costs-credentials-se-50625. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on ECPI Technical College, ECPI College Of Technology

Good post Andrew

AUTHOR: Sheena - (U.S.A.)

So sorry you had so many problems with ECPI. You had excellent detail in your post and my heart aches for others who continue to think highly of ECPI.

Best of luck in your legal action. I'm sure you won't have to search far for others to join you.

I loved ECPI!

AUTHOR: Phpl33t - (U.S.A.)

I disagree. My stay at the Norfolk, Va campus started with the most basic courses. Math, English comp, psychology, web design, etc. I started with the most basic classes. As far as scheduling, my classes were never canceled, except on 9-11. and my schedule was very regular...the same every day. My teachers were outstanding. If I did not understand something, I could stay after class for one on one time with the instructor. They even pushed me into studying for my certifications to be a role model for other students.