Complaint Review: Electronic Repair Service

• Updated: Sat, September 15, 2012

• Reported By: Dawn — Marietta Georgia United States of America
Electronic Repair Service
623 Campbell Street Thomasville, Georgia United States of America

Electronic Repair Service newremotecontrol.com I wish I'd checked here first Thomasville, Georgia

I wish I'd read the report from Dave in Savannah (dated 2003) before I purchased a remote control from Electronic Repair Service dba newremotecontrol.com.

In addition to the problems he reported about defective remotes (poor customer service, return shipping charges, etc.), this company is now also charging a 25% restocking fee - even on defective products.  Why any company would charge a restocking fee (implies they are restocking and reselling the defective product at additional profits to themselves) is insane and definitely poor business practice.

The remote I received was in a plastic bag with only a couple of small labels indicating the manufacturer and model number.  There was nothing on or in the packaging to indicate it actually came from the manufacturer.  There was no manual or instructions for syncing the remote to the unit it was intended for.  I had to go to the manual that came with my original unit to get remote control instructions (fortunately, I kept it!).  There was no manufacturer logo or original packaging (box, blister pack, etc.) - just a clear, narrow plastic bag wrapped in bubble wrap and dropped into a USPS shipping box.

I am absolutely certain that although I purchased the remote because it was marked as original and NEW, I was shipped (at best) a refurbished or "repaired" item.  Out of 45 buttons on the remote (yes I counted them) only 4 worked, and only 2 of those worked correctly (the on/off button was one of the 41 that didn't work at all - what's the point of having a remote control that won't even turn on the unit?).

Do Not Purchase Anything From Electronic Repair Service or newremotecontrol.com unless you are prepared to be treated like a 2-year old.  They do not read your email complaints (at least not thoroughly) and they send "packaged" responses.  They should remove the word "service" from their name as they neither service the products they sell nor provide service to their customers.  Their company policies are buried deep in their website and requires some searching to locate.  It takes two (2) billing cycles to refund (less shipping charges and 25% restocking fee) once they make the determination that a refund is appropriate.  My purchase was $49.50 which included the shipping charges - IF they decide to issue a refund (still undetermined at this point) it will only be for $29.96 - a little over half what I paid them (75% of purchase price of $39.95 and less $9.55 shipping).  Incidentally, it only cost me about $3.00 to return the remote - about 1/3 of what they charged me to send it out in the first place.  A profit of nearly $20 for something they got back and will probably just repackage and resell to some other sucker.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/15/2012 12:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Electronic-Repair-Service/Thomasville-Georgia-31792/Electronic-Repair-Service-newremotecontrolcom-I-wish-Id-checked-here-first-Thomasville-941677. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Electronic Repair Service