• Report: #719822

• Submitted: Wed, April 20, 2011
  • Updated: Sat, May 28, 2011

• Reported By: Suburbia — Cleveland Ohio United States of America
Empire Carpet
9040 Dutton Drive, Twinsburg, Ohio 44087 Cleveland, Ohio United States of America

Empire Carpet DO NOT PAY ANY CONTRACTOR IN FULL BEFORE WORK IS DONE Cleveland, Ohio

*Author of original report: Too Little, Too Late

*UPDATE Employee: Business Response

I arranged to have Empire install carpet in my basement for $1800.  I paid them a $200 deposit and the installers arrived on time on the date chosen.  However, the installers demanded full payment before they would begin work.  I agreed to pay them $1400 before installation and $200 after the work was complete so they could leave my house with full payment when the work was done.  Empire refused to accept anything but full payment up front.  NO CONTRACTOR SHOULD BE PAID IN FULL BEFORE WORK BEGINS.  This is bad policy and provides no protection for the consumer.  I was burned.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/20/2011 09:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Carpet/Cleveland-Ohio-/Empire-Carpet-DO-NOT-PAY-ANY-CONTRACTOR-IN-FULL-BEFORE-WORK-IS-DONE-Cleveland-Ohio-719822. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Carpet

Too Little, Too Late

AUTHOR: Suburbia - (United States of America)

After 4 phone calls, posting several complaints on the web and purchasing carpet from Lowes, the Empire team responded by accepting my original offer for most of the payment up front and the rest after installation was complete.  They also offered to take 20% off the total price.  I had already purchased carpet from Lowes which was higher quality for the same price so I passed on the Empire offer which was too little, too late.  Lowes installed my carpet with no problems.

Business Response

AUTHOR: Business Response - (United States of America)

Sally, Weve read your recent posts and received the message you left with our office.  Id like to offer our apologies for any confusion surrounding the process in which we accept payments. It is our policy to collect payment upon delivery, prior to installation. It is our normal process to receive payment before installation begins, and I apologize if that wasnt communicated to you during your appointment. From your account history, I can see that we reached out to you and have offered to work with you on resolution. If there is an opportunity to talk with you further, I am available via phone at 888-588-2315 x4195 or at customersupport@empiretoday.com. Thank you. Rebekah Clerk, National Customer Service Manager