Complaint Review: Empire Today

333 North West Avenue North Lake, Illinois United States of America

Empire Today Improper Installation of Bath Liner North Lake, Illinois

*Author of original report: Empire Today

*UPDATE Employee: ET Customer Support

Empire Today sent Charles Granger to install a bath liner over my tub in October 2006.  Mr. Granger to begin with is not a licensed plumber and performed plumbling work in my home.  Mr. Granger caulked the piece of the drain spout that should be screwed to the main drain pipe with gobbs of caulk instead of screwing it directly to the drain pipe.  In time the caulk gave out caused a leak and has damaged my floor and tub underneath, along with foundation issues.  According to Mercury Insurance there is also evidence of a worn wax ring on the toilet.  I talked to Empire and told them I would accept half the damage but they were still liable some of the damage. Empire and thei insurance companies refuse to settle with me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/15/2012 07:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Empire-Today/North-Lake-Illinois-60164/Empire-Today-Improper-Installation-of-Bath-Liner-North-Lake-Illinois-955087. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Empire Today

Empire Today

AUTHOR: Lupe Hernandez - (United States of America)

I contacted Empire Today on May 22, 2012 not August, another one of Empire's Today errors.

The reason I discovered the plumbing issue was because my kitchen sink was stopped up.  The plumbers that came to fix it had to replace the kitchen pipes up to the main pipe, due to the pipe being collapsed.

In doing so discovered the issue with the plumbing in the bathtub.  The plumbers gave me a quote to repair the other damaged pipes then discovered they were not able to do the repairs due to the damaged rotten floor.  They then gave me the gobb of caulk that Empire's contractor used  (see attached) to attach the liner to the main pipe.

I did have a neighbor to replace a toilet in the same bathroom, nothing was wrong with the piping at the time.  Empire is now telling me that the damage is due to the plumbing work and the toilet work.

Empire also stated that the issue was with a worn toilet wax ring.  I keep getting different information by different insurance companies and Empire, none of which want to accept the responsibility.

I was told by Empire on October 10. 2012, if I were to sue I would have to sue the plumbers and the gentleman that installed the toilet.  I called Empire's insurance company and notified them that I did not have the heart to bring the gentleman into the lawsuit, I could not sleep at night knowing that I had financial gain and hurt them in the process.

I have attached a picture of Empire's work you tell me if Empire is not liable for half of the damage.

Is this the correct amount of caulk used to secure a bath liner?  According to the contractor's insurance company he admitted to using the caulk.

I have talked to my neighbors regarding Empire and looking at the internet Empire needs to hire knowledgeable contractors, this contractor is not even a licensed plumber.

ET Customer Support

AUTHOR: Business Response - (USA)

In August 2012, Ms. Hernandez contacted Empire regarding an installation of a bath liner in October of 2006.  Despite that fact that six years had passed between the time of the installation and Ms. Hernandezs complaint, the matter was referred to the Installers insurance company for review.  The Installers insurance company determined that issues with the foundation of  Ms. Hernandezs home caused damage to plumbing within the home, and that the damage was not the result of the bath liner installation six years earlier.   In addition, Ms. Hernandez has had multiple people/contractors perform work in her home in the six years since the installation, including plumbing work.

We have referred the claim to Empires insurance for review.  Empire has been in contact with Ms.  Hernandez on a regular basis to apprise her of the status of her complaint, most recently  on October 10, 2012, and Empire will continue to update Ms. Hernandez.