Complaint Review: etyres

etyres

etyres Fleet Mobile Tyres put me in a vulnerable financial position Internet

*UPDATE Employee: My experience with etyres

*UPDATE Employee: False Promises

Having spent a few years as a franchisee I must concur with the comments made by earlier posters.  For instance my tyre fitting training consisted of approximately 15 minutes instruction followed by one hours unsupervised practice.  The hours involved generally came to around 100 per week and the business constantly ran at a slow loss, at one time my total worth was 32 when all deductions had been made, at least it was still positive.

Franchisor support was generally very poor, particularly when there was any sort of customer complaint, in one instance it was claimed by the customer that I had buckled a wheel whilst fitting a tyre ( this is an impossibility as anyone who fits tyres will know) but the Cambridge team sided with the customer leaving me to source a replacement and foot the bill.  In other instances I was given wrong tyre sizes by head office leading to embarrassment on arrival at the customer resulting in much lost time and money.

Much was made about the work placed with me which was priced at Cambridge but in most instances it was impossible for me to source a tyre in the time frame available at a realistic price to make a sensible profit.  Also the % charged by the franchisor is based on the SALES value which means that effectively you are paying them a percentage of your purchase price as well as the profit, regularly I found that I was making less on a sale than the franchisor and I still had all my other expenses to cover.

Other franchisees that I did come in contact with were mainly disgruntled with the situation and most have subsequently given up, some siting serious situations with the company including threats of legal action.

The only way to make any money that I saw from others was to deal strictly in cash and avoid creating receipts wherever possible by such means as doing work for garages in return for free servicing etc..  Whilst I am not proud of this and it is strictly illegal if you are avoiding taxation it was one way of keeping a better return for the effort involved and not keeping Mr Bowmans plane flying.

As with other posters I would suggest that anyone interested in a new franchise should try to talk to as many existing and ex franchisees as possible, get the documentation read by an expert and then go it alone with a second hand van, building your own area.  Be aware though that there are not the profits in tyres that there would appear to be and you will be constantly under pressure from idiots who think that turnover is more important than profit and will even sell at a loss just to get the business.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2013 04:35 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/etyres/internet/etyres-Fleet-Mobile-Tyres-put-me-in-a-vulnerable-financial-position-Internet-1015626. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on etyres

My experience with etyres

AUTHOR: Lindsey - (United Kingdom)

I stumbled across this appraisal online of etyres, and was quite shocked by the polarisation of their views and my experience within this company.  I really felt it necessary to rebut some of the comments made and share my experiences as a franchisee 4 years standing. I will start out by saying we are all entitled to our opinion and I simply want to share my experience.

For the past 4 years my husband and I have been a  part of the etyres network, we are based in the North West- and if you know anything about tyres, it is one of the most competitive parts of the country for tyre retailers as there are so many of us.  To be succinct we are doing really well, growing year on year and building an amazing reputation with our customers for high levels of customer care and low prices. Whilst we are a family run company we could not have achieved this level of success without the support and care of our head office, the business grows because the two aspects are moving in the same direction.

When you open your own business, it is so important to be driven and want to succeed, even when you are a part of a franchise you cannot be passive, you have to go out and grow your business, make connections, network, sell, market  basically do everything you can think of to get your name out there. Coupled to this you have to know your breakeven point, by this I mean you have to know what you need your business to achieve in terms of growth to a) be able to meet its own over heads b) what you need to pay your own bills and provide you with the lifestyle you want.  Failing to do this will only mean you don’t know where your business is heading and you can quickly find yourself in trouble because from the outset you didn’t review where you needed your business to head.

From my perspective buying into a franchise and simply waiting for the work to roll in is foolhardy to say the least,  you have to continuously strive to be the best and to offer the best service, that way people will continue to buy from you and spread the good word.  Some franchises do fail, but speaking from our experience in one of the most competitive markets in the country they have failed due to a variety of reasons and at the end of the day maybe one of those reasons is you. I can say my husband and I work, work, work, but we love it as we also reap the rewards, and to our mind that is a fair trade off.

Buying a franchise is not a readymade business,  it doesn’t matter what franchise you go for they all need to be tended and looked after. What being a part of a franchise does offer is that there are more than one set of eyes on the business looking out for it or you have a team in your corner. For example since we have opened, the mobile tyre fitting market has changed rapidly, margins have altered more competition etc- and it’s only been four years, without the support of head office we could not have kept up with the market, as we are mad busy doing other things, but with their support that is exactly what we have been able to do, keeping up with market, often leading the way, moving into other services etc. Business evolves and it’s great to have people behind you who can assist in your goals to grow your business, franchisee and franchisor have to be on the same page, it doesn’t make sense for them to be pulling in opposite directions as success/ failure impacts both halves equally. etyres set out guidelines to assist in the growth of your business, not the failure,  but they are not exhaustive, you as the owner also have to drive your business forward, evaluate your local market and make your goals tangible.

I am not here to dismiss the other view point, I simply wanted to offer my experience of this group as a current successful franchise owner. Our sales figures have seen expediential growth year on year, in a highly competitive market, we don’t have a magic wand, but with hard work, good support and a desire to make the business work from both the franchisee and franchisor, we can say it is achievable.  Would we do this again? Absolutely.

False Promises

AUTHOR: Mr Unhappy - ()

I will keep it brief.

For new interested potential franchisees , use their pre sign up literature as cavity wall insulation or firewood. Also telephone  existing franchisees and then you will definately not join the franchise.

Ive had lies from the MD on future sales and hes aggressive . Head office sales staff sell tyre's which are not in stock for sales targets and we are left to contact the customer and sell them a new tyre .

we have a contact numbers to call if we are in difficulty and the cambridge/ Luton  managers/  MD's call you back the following day.

In 3 years I've not made a profit and the stress has nearly wrecked my marriage .

It cost me around 65,000 to buy in the franchise which included finance on a van and I'm still in debt.

Loads of franchisees have folded in past 3 years ?  Its desprate

Get advice from a solicitor befor joining

The list is endless