Complaint Review: European Wax center

• Updated: Tue, March 06, 2012

• Reported By: Ashutosh — Somerset New Jersey USA
European Wax center
314 Route 18 East Brunswick, New Jersey United States of America

European Wax center Total Rip off - don't get into their Free Wax offer for First time customers East Brunswick, New Jersey

*General Comment: Not a Fine Print Issue

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Only Eyebrows, Bikini or Underarm Free for First Time Women!

*Consumer Suggestion: Its because

*Consumer Comment: Thanks Mr Rik

*Consumer Comment: WOW Alley76cat!

*Consumer Comment: no Ripoff here!! Read their terms!!

*Consumer Comment: no Ripoff here!! Read their terms!!

Writing this on behalf of my wife
We got the "Free Wax offer" for first time guest from Valpak coupon. Infact this offer is on their website also at www.waxcenter.com.
We made the appointment after 1 day at this location:
Plaza: Mid State Mall
Address: 314 Route 18
East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Phone: (732) 360-9299

which is the nearest to our location. Myself called the office and asked for the appointment and clearly told them that we have received the coupon from Valpak and it says for the first time guests this is a free(complementary) service. We made this call yesterday(4/22) after noon via phone. The office person on the phone took our details-name, address and checked that whether we are first time customers or not? She gave couple of options and my wife spoke to her and agreed for
Saturday 1:00 PM EST appointment.

My wife asked her in detail that whether it is free or not and she was told that yes it's a free service for first timers. [continued below]....
.....

We went to the office in time and office person confirmed the appointment. My wife showed her the coupon and she said that she doesn't require it as it's offered free via them-no need for a coupon.
Myself and my wife further clarified and she told that it's complementary. Later my wife went inside at around 1:15 PM EST. It took around 25 minutes for them to perform this service.

But when she came out there was another office person at the front desk. She insisted on making further appointment but my wife said that she will get back to them.

Now a real shock came to us as they asked for a fees of $58. Both of us - showed them the coupon and asked them why they are charging the money as it is mentioned that it's free and it should be free. We can offer some tip but they simply said that no it's not free.

How come this can happen? My wife only undergo waxing in her legs(no bikini area) and nothing more than that.

Similar service in the near by beauty salon is offered at only $16. This is real shocker for us and we really feel this is total cheating for us.

Both of us are IT engineers and speaking English since birth and in this country(USA) for more than 6 years now and in NJ for 4 years. So there are no chances that we got anything wrong or we communicated anything wrongly. My wife has been going on for waxing for many years now. This is total rip off. We have a beauty next door to us and taking next day or same day appointments is also very much possible out there. They charge not more than $16 for a better service(full arms and full legs).

Why one should drive for around 8 mile one way to be ripped off. It's not just the matter of the Valpak coupons. It's also advertised on their website that first time customers are offered this service free of charges.

Later i also called them up the Franchise and told them that it's not fair. There is no where their rates of services are being advertised. Moreover they are not telling in advance how much it is going to cost the customer. It is ridiculous that they are falsifying the advertisements and also not informing the customers in advance. Overall it's a bad practice.

I will suggest all the Customers to check about each and everything from them, before making an appointment. It seems they have  a lot of catches and simply don't care whether a customer returns to their shop later or not?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/23/2011 12:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/European-Wax-center/East-Brunswick-New-Jersey-08816/European-Wax-center-Total-Rip-off-dont-get-into-their-Free-Wax-offer-for-First-time-cu-721243. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on European Wax center

#1 General Comment

Not a Fine Print Issue

AUTHOR: Jenny - (United States of America)

This has nothing to do with "the fine print."  Did you entirely miss the SEVERAL times he mentioned confirming with the staff that his wife's service would be free?  I mean really, did the staff book her leg wax and then "accidentally" tell him he doesn't need the ValPak coupon because the service is already free on their website?  Obviously, they knew she was getting a leg wax, but they still pretended the service was free every time the customers asked for confirmation.  And then AFTER the service they say Free is only for the other services.  If a customer books a leg wax and then asks if the service is free, you don't say Yes and then later say, oh but only other services are free.  This is a corrupt organization.  Do they really think they can play stupid?  If a customer mis-reads your coupon or website, but then has the integrity to confirm with you so there is no misunderstanding, THAT is the time to tell them they read it incorrectly and their service will not be free.  I will be canceling my upcoming appointment at European Wax Center now that I've read this.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Only Eyebrows, Bikini or Underarm Free for First Time Women!

AUTHOR: CarrieC320 - (USA)

I used to be a wax specialist with this company at another location.  If you go on the website, it clearly details which services are free.  For women: eyebrows, bikini line and underarms.  For men: eyebrows and nose.  Those are the only free services and you must show an in-state ID to get the promotion.  Unless you have some kind of rewards points or something stacked up, you are going to pay full price for the service.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

Its because

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

Its because your new to the site.

Thanks Mr Rik

AUTHOR: Alley76cat - (USA)

Thanks to the last comment. I've been reading this site a long time, it got me through a very rough pregnancy and now it's gotten me through 2 years of my little one taking over the tv. I've never commented, not even once, which is hard since I read almost every day. But this complaint was so obviously wrong. It took me all of 2 minutes to look at the website the complainant listed to see the coupon . If they had taken even 10 seconds to read the actual coupon thy would have seen what I saw. It's all written clearly. This isn't even a case of fine print. Shame this business got put on here because they didn't bother to read their coupon. Oh well, maybe it will get them a little business. Shame on the poster though. On another note... I only did my reply once but it's showing muliPle times. Wonder why?

WOW Alley76cat!

AUTHOR: mr rik - (USA)

That was awfully nice of you to do that!

no Ripoff here!! Read their terms!!

AUTHOR: Alley76cat - (USA)

Just out of curiosity I went to their website and spotted what the problem was right away. You did not read the whole coupon. The coupon clearly states for womens free first visit, areas to be waxed free are eyebrow, bikini or underarms. Nothing else! You yourself said in your complaint your wife got her legs done! Legs were NOT part of the free offer. Legs are more area to do which means more time, hence why they don't offer that free. Before putting a permanent complaint online about someones business perhaps you should have ok you facts straight. YOU and your WIFE were wrong, the free waxing was only for eyebrows, bikini and underarms...NOT legs.

no Ripoff here!! Read their terms!!