Complaint Review: E.W.Wylie - Ottertail Corp

• Submitted: Thu, April 30, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, February 09, 2013

• Reported By:grant Michigan
E.W.Wylie - Ottertail Corp
1520 2nd Avenue NW West Fargo, North Dakota U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-437-4132
  • Web:
  • Category: Employers

E.W.Wylie - Ottertail Corp Promise's good pay, miles and open door policy West Fargo North Dakota

*UPDATE Employee: AGREEMENT

*UPDATE Employee: inside knowlege

*UPDATE Employee: diffrent direction

I really don't know where to really begin, however, every potential driver out there should know what is going on behind closed doors. I signed on at E.W.Wylie in January 2009 I figured I would try there lease purchase because of the following factors:

I talked with them over the phone for about 3.5 to 4 months

The recruiter explained after all fixed cost min I could expect would be $1,000 a week

That drivers in the lease or o/o drivers where averging about 2,000 to 2,500 miles per week.

That if there where issues I would have a contact person to talk to get things resolved, ( open door policy)

There advertisement for the length of time I talked to them and even after I came on board still showed the latter.

When I came on board there advertisement showed that drivers where making over 1k per week even in the slow period due to the ressesion, we are under. When I got there I found several drivers in the heavy haul divison, that had been there a week or 2 waiting on a load. I figured that that would be no big deal due to the fact I was in the flat divison. The very first week out I had a egr cooler go out the fuel pump and had to be towed out of the customer. ( crap happens) I was fixed same day truck went down sat for 2 day's waiting on 2nd load. Got second load sat 3 day's for next load, ( keep this in mind no layover pay) ( company guy's get it not o/o or lease). I needed to get home within a week or 2 to get my gear in my truck. I had to d/h 400 miles at my expense because they couldn't get me any closer. I told them I needed 2 day's at home to take care of stuff. I didn't get a load for 4 day's out of them. The whole month of February I had 6601 miles from the 2nd till the 28th, ( yeah a slow period however I have never seen it that slow.).
I made 841 for the whole month and the terminal manger told me that is Great money for a Lease driver or O/O I told him that recruiter and terminal manager in Fargo stated 1k per week is what I am should expect. Sat at home for 2.2 weeks in March because they had no loads. ( I am still trying to figure out how drivers are getting 2k to 2500 miles per week.) I only refused going to the North East. ( Just personal Preference.).

In the month of April I came up with approx 6200 miles Oh boy I broke a sweat. No paycheck the whole month because since I wasn't making miles I was in debt with them on my truck ( not to mention the bills at home) I talked to the same recruiter in April gave him a fake name ( steve from chicago) to see if they are still telling drivers the same thing I was told and please don't be supprised but yes they where telling the same. Even the head Recruiter was saying the same thing as well.

I had to scream and hollar for 4 hours to get what was owed to me, threaten a lawsuit and even go to the President of the company and E.W.Wylie to get paid the $1,500 + they owed me. It took over 1 month from the time I did the load to get paid on it. Funny thing is they don't care. They asked several times if I was ready to quit that they would find someone else to take over the payments on there truck.

OK now to the point, I hope that you take what I have written on here to heart. I wouldn't be wasting my time just to let you know what is going on behind closed doors. You know that it is bad when you have a driver that has been there for 15 + years and the only reason he won't leave is he needs the insurance because his wife has cancer.

All they care about like many trucking companies is that you balance there books not yours by barely making a dollar to try and keep the lights on. They are protected by this Ottertail corp. that own's them. I have been driving for a long time ( over 7 years) and I have only worked for 4 companies in that time. Here is an example of what you will make 1881 loaded 372 mty for a tttl of 2253 $2583.96 after fuel and all fixed expense's you get a check for 578.00 that is a revenue of 3.8 cpm not good. NOT GOOD AT ALL. So in a nutchell in the month of April I made a total of around $750.

Please becareful of this company, and don't be taken like I was.

Smoke
grant, Michigan

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/30/2009 09:19 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/EWWylie-Ottertail-Corp/West-Fargo-North-Dakota-58078/EWWylie-Ottertail-Corp-Promises-good-pay-miles-and-open-door-policy-West-Fargo-North-447918. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on E.W.Wylie - Ottertail Corp

AGREEMENT

AUTHOR: unjust bad company stay away!!! - (United States of America)

I was and still am with Wylie and after 6 months otr as a company driver I went lease. I have about 9 months left before its paid off. Every flatbed driver knows, if you've been in the business long enough that winter is a hard time for flat bed. Its what I like to call survival money. I havent had any problems other than a few break downs...Its a truck its going to happen...suck it up and quit crying!!!

If you want a company that will give you 3500 miles every week, and if you find that company that hasd that kind of freight then I want to know about it. Im still able to pay the truck payment and my bills...Its called money management just because you "think" you know what your doing just because your in a lease doiesnt mean you actually do.

Anyway I have been with 5 companies in my 8 years in this business and no one has been as honest and forth coming as E.W. Wylie has. Enough Said!!!

inside knowlege

AUTHOR: pikey - (United States of America)

I started out with Wylie as a company driver and did that for a year before I decided to go lease purchase. after inquiring with company leaders as well as other owner operators I decided to lease a tractor. Best decision I ever made as a driver. My truck was paid off within 18 months and it was a well maintained tractor so there were minimal repair costs during that period.

Now this post I see was made in 2009 but nonetheless is still suspicious to me. During the time I have been at Wylie I have gotten to be close friends so to speak with several of the driver managers namely the one that is over heavy haul as well as owner ops and this is what I know. There is always plenty of freight available and any driver, company or o/o can expect 2500 miles per week on any given week. There are drivers that always complain and "piss and moan" constantly. It is well known that these drivers will be overlooked when it comes time for dispatch.

I have been with Wylie for 3 years and the only time I have sat is during a 34 hour restart. I am sitting in the drivers seat as I type this. Just got unloaded @ 8:45am central and had another load on the screen at 9:00am.. About to go get it now and that's the way it has been since I started here.

If any driver here at Wylie is not getting any miles it is because he or she is either lazy or has an attitude problem.

That's my two cents. Now if u all will excuse me I must go pick up my next load that is going 1300 miles from its origin.

diffrent direction

AUTHOR: joe - (United States of America)

I am writing this in rebuttal of the original.I have been a driver for 23 years and i can tell you in the flatbed buisness things are allways slow in the winter months so i will assume the other driver came to wylie in the "off season" which is in the heart of winter,and he came(as so many do that quit the flatbed buisness)thinking flatbeders dont even break a sweat at work,and he came from a dryvan or reffer company.Let me tell you my experiance at e w wylie as a driver that has only been with them for 6 months.there are times i have to tell them i need to catch a 34 hour reset and there are times i sit.thats the nature of this buisness.The ressesion has hit the flatbed area hard.Arrow just lost there whole cumpany and thay were 1 of the big ones.we are not that big but have an advantage.We(as the other driver said)are owned by Ottertail energy.That means we are secured by a strong company!Flatbeders make there $$$ in the spring thrue to fall months as we are a construction dependent buisness.No contruction,thats right.no buisness.we bust butt in those months and save up for the slow down that comes every fall.I left the company i was with for 5 years because i saw thay were getting into trubble pulling cheep frieght in order to stay aflote.I made the right move.that company is no longer in buisness.Yea,you get into some key areas like houston tx or denver co and you can sometimes sit a few days waiting for a reload.Lot of freight comes into those areas but not much comeing out.thats the way it is.Sitting waiting for a reload is something that happens allot and that is why i am sure the other driver was not experianced in flatbed or he would have known that.As far as there lease purchase programe.There lease is $250.00 a week and the trucks are Macks.ever see a lease that low anywhere else???I doubt it!And when is the last time you saw a Mack sitting on the side of the road broke down??Like i said,i have been doing this for over 20 years and i have seen 1 Mack broke down on the shoulde and it was me when i drove swinging meat at Baldwin trans out of amarillo tx.Ugly truck but you will never find a more dependable one.Climbing up a ladder to tarp a load in the wind or crawling on ice covered tarps,throwing heavy cargo chains and steel binder around is not for the week hearted or the "steeringwheel holder.Its hard,dirty work and if you think you want to try it.come on..its a good liveing but sign on in the late spring and save some $$$ for the slowdown because that slow down is an every year thing.Just ask the construction worker how he or she gets by in the middle of winter.We do depend on each other for our jobs. thnx for listening(well reading)what i had to say.There are always 2 sides to every story and this is mine.. ........joe