Complaint Review: Experian

• Submitted: Tue, June 11, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, June 11, 2013

• Reported By: fremontpea — Miami Florida
475 Anton Blvd. Costa Mesa, California USA

Experian Unauthorized monthly charge for "credit score monitoring" service of $12.95 per month! Costa Mesa California

In July 2012 I logged onto CreditScore.com or a similar website because the realtor/landlord required a credit score report and background check for a rental apartment. I paid a certain amount for the credit report, but apparently before submitting my credit card #, there was apparently fine print about a monthly "membership" for "credit score monitoring" for $12.95 per month. I don't remember any fine print about extra charges, and I do not need this service because my credit score is very high. The vast majority of people do not need their credit score to be monitored for a fee, and you can just check your financial statements for FREE. Remember that their salespeople will say that you be will notified of any major score drops, but it will be too late if it is caused by identity theft.

I finally caught this fraudulent and unethical charge in June 2013, accumulating over $140 in unauthorized charges!

I called 1-877-297-7793 and was able to get a verbal full refund after an hour of shady sales pitches and accusations that I actually did submit an agreement for a free trial that would lapse into a monthly membership. They even offered me a half off membership for $6 after I told them 10X that I wanted to cancel this fraudulent membership immediately! I hate their sales script.

They also ask for your social security # to access your account, but I was able to give them their membership ID #, which I found in my Spam box. DO NOT give them your SSN! They will ask for other ID info too, like DOB. Experian is an unethical company, and other customers on Ripoff apparently were less lucky in getting a refund approved by a supervisor.

I will wait 10 days to see if they actually send me a refund, but at least the membership is now canceled by phone.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/11/2013 01:13 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Experian/Costa-Mesa-California-92626/Experian-Unauthorized-monthly-charge-for-credit-score-monitoring-service-of-1295-per-1058304. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Experian