Complaint Review: Express Auto Bros, Monrovia

• Updated: Mon, January 13, 2014

• Reported By: Honest Consumer — Torrance California
Express Auto Bros, Monrovia
120 West Chestnut Avenue Monrovia, California USA

Express Auto Bros, Monrovia Proprietor is not an honest individual, not forthcoming. Buyer beware!! Monrovia California

*Author of original report: Update to my first report

*Author of original report: I question your claim that I have a vendetta

*General Comment: An Opposite Experience Dealing with "Express Auto Bros"

I would caution any buyer of automobiles or customers to avoid doing business with "Chris" with Auto Express Bros of Monrovia. Firstly, the garage is not AAA affiliated (not all are, of course) nor listed with the BBB nor the Monrovia Chamber of Commerce.

I purchased a vehicle from this "Chris" fellow, who wouldn't give me his full name, assuming that's his real first name, and simply accompanied me to a bank where we both had accounts. Sure enough, he had an account there, but he wouldn't give me his name. Yes, I know, shame on me.  Everything about the guy raises a red flag. Aside from being secretive about his name and having the check made out to his DBA, his demeanor is such that if you have your wits about you--obviously I didn't--you would avoid doing business with him. I tried to read a blocked or erased account on Yelp about "Chris" where he is described as a "scumbag." Ironically, once we started having our real differences after I purhased the car, he accused me of hinting that he was that very thing. What's more, he claimed that it would be unethical to sell me a car without having it totally checked out, but some things were amiss.

Firstly, there were some smaller but important components missing under the hood (windshield wiper reservoir, cover for battery, etc) so I think it ironic that he would claim that the car was fully serviced before it was sold. While described as a salvage, he falsely claimed that the car had been in NO ACCIDENTS. This was a lie, as I pointed out to him that a mechanic friend of mine pointed out that the front right side had been sideswiped. His response?: "I am sorry, we try our best."  This wasn't exactly the response I was expecting from someone who supposedly acts ethically. When I pushed him some more, for example telling him that I had spoken with the CHP and said vehicle hadn't been inspected, he became livid: "Why are you going behind my back?" He then proceded to play psychiatrist by telling me that I had issues, the I would be better buying a new car. You too will be better buying a car or taking your business elsewhere.  Buyer beware, this is not an honest person.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/24/2013 06:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Express-Auto-Bros-Monrovia/Monrovia-California-91016/Express-Auto-Bros-Monrovia-Proprietor-is-not-an-honest-individual-not-forthcoming-Buy-1078642. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Express Auto Bros, Monrovia

Update to my first report

AUTHOR: Honest Consumer - ()

For those of you who think that perhaps I have an axe to grind against this individual, just check out YELP where a customer refers to Chris as a "scumbag," his words not mine. Why is it that someone who owns a garage wouldn't want all the positive reviews and good word of mouth from satisfied customers?

Obviously, when you have something to hide, you keep a low profile. Honestly, anyone reading this report shoud steer clear of this very dishonest individual. There are plenty of shops to take your car for service. Ask the pertinent questions before you even set foot in ANY garage. If the owner of the garage is hesistant to answer your questions, is evasive or gets bothered by your continued questions, go somewhere else!!

I question your claim that I have a vendetta

AUTHOR: Honest Consumer - ()

Dear Rebutter:

I seriously challenge your positive experience with Express Auto Brothers. My complaint isn't with you becuase you had nothing to do with the transaction in the purchase of a car that I regretfully bought from "Chris" at Express Auto Bros.

As we speak I am considering taking legal action for fraudulent action and statements from Express Auto Bros. To name just a few without engaging you since it's obvious that you are associated with this individual, consider the following:

1) Stating that the car hadn't been in a wreck when my mechanic's son works for BMW and was able to assert the opposite. The crash to the right side produced some slight damage to the frame and consequently damaged the wiring for the directional lights to the rear. This, for someone who claimed loudly "NO Accidents."

2) The car's hybrid battery that is leaking fluid. I only discovered this after purchasing the car. Supposedly only the 'car's electronics were tampered with' during theft of the vehicle. The cables in under the hood are threadbare. Again, the car was in "good" working order. I don't think so.

3) Recent testing of the car's airbag system has revealed that the car doesn't have airbags at the front of the vehicle to protect the knees. Again, when buying the car I specifically asked "Chris" if the car had been inspected. His reply was that it 'would be unethical to sell a car without throughly inspecting it.'

Lastly, if there was any intimidation and harrassment, it all came from "Chris" who threatened to hang the phone on me when I complained about the many defects and irregularities of the car. I was criticized for checking out the car with the CHP because it hadn't been cleared when I purchased it. As I would reveal the many defects that started appearing, I was told that I could bring the car in for repair. Funny, but these things are taken care of prior to the purchase of a car. I don't appreciate his sorry  attempt to clear his name after all that I've suffered because of this dishonest individual. You can't hide your dishonest dealings as you well know. Don't bother to respond as I will not bother to answer your objections. I prefer to do that in a court of law.

#3 General Comment

An Opposite Experience Dealing with "Express Auto Bros"

AUTHOR: EmilyF. - ()

I have recently done business with Express Auto Bros in Monrovia CA and with Chris; I can say that my experience in dealing with the establishment was quite the opposite and very pleasant unlike the report that I have read here. I have to say I was surprised when I did a search of Express Auto Bros and this report came up. What has been reported seems to me to be only a personal vedetta of a upset individual and not a honest bias report from a real concerned consumer itself. Actual reports or complaints of businesses should only be done in certain important cases for example dealing with fraud, quality issues of the product being sold; in this case a car being sold that is not in proper working order, and dangerous or harmful warning to other consumers. In this particular report I see none of the above. I can state my particular concerns of the report being made about Express Auto Bros to prove and show that this report is falsified. First off, personally being in business I see many flaws to the claims being made against Express Auto Bros; a business (and in this case a auto garage) does not have to be AAA, BBB affliated nor be listed with the Chamber of Commerce, that is up to the discretion of the business nor does it make a business more or less reputable to the public. Second not giving your full name durning a business transaction is not crimial or unethical; being private about your personal information is advised for cautionary reasons. Thrid and more important, "Honest Consumer" reported in paragraph three of the original report, "Firstly, there were some smaller but important components missing under the hood (windshield wiper reservoir, cover for battery, etc) so I think it ironic that he would claim that the car was fully serviced before it was sold." This (and the alleged accident) is the only said mentioned problem the consumer had with the car. I will state for the record that certain components such as a cover for the battery, windshield wiper reservoir ect are strictly COSMETIC and do not effect the way a car runs or drives. It is not unethical to sell a car with cosmetic issues that are pointed out before the sale; but it is however unethical to sell a car with unmentioned mechanical issues, which in this case the car did not have. This was a big flaw from the report and what prompt me into doing my own investagtion and writing a rebuttled; because if this were a real reoprt or a real complaint then the car would have to had a bad engine or transmission issues or fruadulent transactions for a report like this to be vaild. This is not the case in this incident and futhers my claim that this report is frivolous and a personal issue between "Honest Consumer" and Chris from Express Auto Bros; the only agenda for "Honest Consumer" is to ruin the business reputation of Express Auto Bros and not to warn consumers of fraudulent, harmful or defective merchandise in which this site is intended to do. Furthermore, since I had developed a reputable business relationship with Chris from Express Auto Bros; and for the sake of my own business, I recently contacted him to see if these trivial and frivolous claims being made were true. Chris was able recall "Honest Comsumer" and the car that was sold to him. The first thing I asked Chris was if this particular car in question was in fact salvage from an accident as stated and claimed in the report. His reponse was No and that he had the pictures from the auction from which he bought it from to prove it, thus additional documents showing so. Chris also went on to tell me that in the report "Honest Consumer" had used his words from their conversations out of context and left out major details to that would ruin the validity to "Honest Consumer's" reports. Chris also mentioned to me that "Honest Consumer" would call him repetitively in an agressive manner and harrass him before filing this report. Again this further proves my claim that this is not a legitimate warning to consumers, but yet a personal vedetta against Chris and Express Auto Bros only hurt his reputation in an unjust manner which should not be tolerated. In my very own business dealings with Chris from Express Auto Bros, and from observing his rapport at the shop with customers and associates; I can say that Chris is very professional, forthcoming and knowledgeable in his expertise. I have had a very professional and pleseant experience dealing with Chris and Express Auto Bros and would not take this report made against him as vaild since it has been proven false. This website is intended to warn consumers, and not for the hurt egos.