Complaint Review: familylink.com

• Updated: Tue, October 09, 2012

• Reported By: Helen — Wellington Other United States of America
familylink.com
4778 N 300 W Suite 230 Internet United States of America

familylink.com MyHeritage.com 3 Day free trial to get your card details, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Cancellation Button Now Available

*Author of original report: Email received confirming cancelation

Offered three day free access to genealogy site but had to give debit card numbers. I did give my numbers because I thought this was a legitimate site. I quickly realised it wasn't very useful for my genealogy searches (in fact very poor results) so after one hour or so I went to the my account page to cancel the subscription... but there wasn't any option. (Even though it states on the 'help' page that there is one). I live in New Zealand so do not want to call the United States at my expense to cancel a free offer which is the second alternative.

The third is to send a message via the internal message system. I did this but then started feeling like things were fishy when I tried to change my credit card to an old one (which is rejected as having insufficient funds... why did it check??) Then I put on a card that I rarely use and is a debit card so it will decline if they try to charge it. I checked their Facebook page and it isn't very clear that it is associated with the same company (it's called Family Summer Fun by FamilyLink) I felt very suspicious by now because while I was there I saw someone else had tried to cancel via the comments section of the Facebook page.

I then did the search on ripoff report and sure enough, here they are. Same problem, only the other victim hadn't tried to pull out till the 3 day trial was over and even though he cancelled in time was charged. Familylink.com...if you are reading this...I REALLY don't have the money to lose. The other victim was also obviously from outside the US and so had the added expense of the calls which they never answer. Once again... I cannot afford the additional cost of the call/calls. I am annoyed it wasn't simple to cancel my subscription and this certainly has all the signs of a rip-off taking place.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/07/2012 07:45 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/familylinkcom/internet/familylinkcom-MyHeritagecom-3-Day-free-trial-to-get-your-card-details-Internet-952140. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on familylink.com

Cancellation Button Now Available

AUTHOR: Tiger - ()

"To instill a bit more confidence in their customers all they have to do is put a cancellation option on their website."

Family Tree Builder, the genealogy software, is free and the subscription is for the online service. so it is necessary to go to your online tree to manage your subscription.   In the top right corner of the home page, under (My Name) > My Purchases > Site Subscriptions is a control "Cancel Subscription"

The was in a location that seemed obvious to me and was easy to find.

Email received confirming cancelation

AUTHOR: luckiestwoman - (United States of America)

I don't know if this site helped (or the fact that I also posted on their Facebook page) but I have received an email to say my subscription has been cancelled. I have to say, this whole process left me feeling very anxious. To instill a bit more confidence in their customers all they have to do is put a cancellation option on their website. But case closed so all's well that ends well.