Complaint Review: famous poets society

• Submitted: Sat, March 02, 2002
  • Updated: Mon, March 11, 2002

• Reported By:sicklerville nj
famous poets society
P.O. Box 21 talent, oregon U.S.A.

famous poets society - just a ripoff!

*Consumer Comment: Legitimate Publishers PAY Thier Authors!

*Consumer Suggestion: Give us a Break!

*UPDATE Employee: On the contrary

I had been contacted by Famous Poets Society following my entrance into a poetry contest. They told me that I would be published in a book called "new millenium poets". Their notification included a permission slip to print my poem. It also included an area where I could compose a dedication for my poem for a fee, other poetry I could submit for a fee and all kinds of items I could purchase. After giving it some thought, I did not purchase anything but did send in my permission slip. Of course, there is no evidence any book was published. I was looking for evidence of the book when I discovered this website and learned that it was just a rip off. I am thankful that I did not loose any money - but it is very disappointing to learn that I was misled.

Veronica
sicklerville new jersey

Click here to read other Rip-off Reports on Famous Poets Society

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/02/2002 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/famous-poets-society/talent-oregon-97540/famous-poets-society-just-a-ripoff-15585. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on famous poets society

Legitimate Publishers PAY Thier Authors!

AUTHOR: Robin - ()

That was a 'right on the money' response "Fraud Chick"! Mark is just angry because his scam was reported on this site, resulting in less victims, and therefore less money, for him and his 'company'. I'd just like to add to your comment.

A legitimate publishing company pays it's authors "royalties" when they publish their work. Royalties are basically a percentage of book sales that are given to the author, as payment, for the publisher to use thier work. BOTH the publisher and the author, profit from book sales: (Not just the publsiher only, as in Mark's company.)

This 'poetry' company should be PAYING the poets to use thier work in their 'publications', and give them a set percentage of the total sales of all the books that have their work included. So, Mark, plan on really going legit?

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Give us a Break!

AUTHOR: TheFraudChick@aol.com - ()

Mark, Mark, Mark.....

I'm embarrassed for you. We all know the poetry schemes make their money from having books printed. That's how they gouge the victims in the wallet. You don't have to convince me you publish the books, I know that you do.

Now, why don't you tell the readers how many of the books you sell and who buys them. No wait, let me. Poetry scammers cram as many "bad", unedited poems as they can into a book. The more poetry authors per book, the more they sell. Because the ONLY people who buy them are the poem authors and friends or family of the poet wannabe's.

Poetry scams fall under the category of Vanity Scams. You can find them side by side with screen play scams, model scams, actor scams, and invention scams. These are just common--there are many many more.

On the contrary

AUTHOR: Mark - ()

That a complaint is here does not mean we don't publish the books we promote. Actually we wouldn't even be in business if we didn't publish the books we promote. We have published a dozen books now and plan on publishing many more. Some of our books can be seen on Amazon.com. Certainly it is hard to provide "evidence" to a suspicious person that a book is published (although we do include a color photo of our book and plaques with the permission form)on our forms but common sense would dictate that a company would be foolish to promote something that they have no intention of following through on. Our website at www.famouspoets.com may provide a bit more "proof" that we legit.