Complaint Review: Farmer's Insurance Group

• Updated: Thu, October 10, 2013

• Reported By: Dannnyboy — Big Bear Lake California
Farmer's Insurance Group
4680 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles, California USA

Farmer's Insurance Group denied structural damage claim Big Bear Lake California

*Consumer Comment: What does your WRITTEN policy with them say about this cause of damage?

*Consumer Comment: A few things...

We had not filed a single claim in the 5 years that Farmer's was our insurance agent. In September, 2013, we filed our first claim. We had structural damage to the TGI girders that support the lower floor of the building. The TGI I-beams were damaged because water had seeped into the outer walls and damaged the composite I-beams.

We thought sure that Farmer's would cover the claim, especially since we had not made a single claim in 5 years. To our surprise, they denied the claim under the secition entitled "Water, Mudslides or Mudflow." I am not an attorney, but this section appears to describe flowing torrents of water, not occasional seepage from snow melt.

If one person reads this and decides NOT to use a Farmer's agent, I will feel that my time was not wasted. I have owned several houses and buildings in my lifetime. I have used several other insurance companies and was happy with their coverage. I will never use Farmer's again, and highly discourage anyone from using them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/10/2013 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Farmers-Insurance-Group/Los-Angeles-California-90010/Farmers-Insurance-Group-denied-structural-damage-claim-Big-Bear-Lake-California-1091025. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Farmer's Insurance Group

What does your WRITTEN policy with them say about this cause of damage?

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

Most insurance of this type does NOT cover what is known as "slow damage."

Allstate paid to have a new roof put on my house but would not cover replacement of some roof wood parts due to the above...it's indeed in my policy.

IF they truly denied your claim against the terms of your policy, report the breach of contract to your states insurance commissioner.

I would bet the policy didn't cover it.

"Our 6-unit condo building in Big Bear, California, has been covered by Farmer's Insurance since 2008. All this time, we thought we were covered by a reputable insurance company. But, were we ever wrong.

We had not filed a single claim in the 5 years that Farmer's was our insurance agent. In September, 2013, we filed our first claim."

This has NOTHING to do with how they handle your claim on this loss and everything to do with the policy terms.

A few things...

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

First I am not saying you do or do not have a valid claim as only you and Farmers knows exactly what is in your policy and what damage was done.  But with that said..

Having insurance for 5 years doesn't really mean anything.  Are you saying that regardless of what the policy covers that if you go 5 years without a claim they should be required to cover it?  Because that is how you are coming off.

Also, realize that "water/flood" damage is rarely if ever covered under a regular policy, you generally have to purchase an endorsement/rider to the policy to also cover this type of damage.   Notice I combined the two as it does not necessarily have to be a "torrent" of water.

Also, as to your other insurance companies.  If you have been with several others and liked them..why did you go with Farmers and not with one of the other ones?  Not only that but unless you had this exact same situation how can you be 100% sure that the other companies would have done anything different?