Complaint Review: FCNB/Spiegel

• Submitted: Wed, February 20, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, February 20, 2008

• Reported By:Garland Texas
FCNB/Spiegel
Spiegal PRE 9300 SW Gemini, Beaverton, Oregon U.S.A.

FCNB/Spiegel placed amount for collection, not a valid debt, assumption was Spiegal debtor, agreed to payout, phone no longer in serv. Beaverton Oregon

We ordered a credit report to see if a loan would be possible for buying a new home. We payed off all creditors on the report, including one listed FCNB/Spiegel, which was for $695.

The person on the phone was not "able" to tell us what the credit was for, only that it was a credit card debt. I said, "With Spiegel?" He answered, "I don't know the creditor, Ma'am, just that it is a credit card. That's all we are told."

I didn't remember ever having such a credit card, however, I did remember that at one time I had a credit card with a First National Bank, I believe it was of Marin, and that I had purchased a desk, and that the credit card eventually was owed an amount of six hundred and something. At any rate, I knew that we had to get this off our credit in order to purchase a house.

We gave them our debit card number when they agreed to a lesser amount, $335.00. They promised to fax a letter immediately stating that the amount was paid in full, and to have it removed from our credit report. They stated that it would be 8 - 10 working days.

When the promised fax did not appear in the specified time, I called the number again. A recorded message informed me that the telephone number had been changed, and that I would have to call a six digit number, which would cost me $5.00 per call, or, for $5.00, I could press that six digit number and then an 888 directory assistance call.

Needless to say, those numbers do not work. They "can't be reached as dialed," no matter how you dial them.

The directory assistance did not have a telephone number for the address given, either, and I did notice that the spelling of the name "Spiegel/Spiegal" differed between the name with the phone and the name on the address.

I'd like to mention that there was no trouble with any other collection agency or creditor on our report. Smooth sailing except for this one item.

We can't get our house unless this item is removed from our credit report, and it will take seven years if we just leave it alone to disappear all by itself.

I am livid.

Rebecca
Garland, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/20/2008 11:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FCNBSpiegel/Beaverton-Oregon-97008/FCNBSpiegel-placed-amount-for-collection-not-a-valid-debt-assumption-was-Spiegal-debtor-310471. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FCNB/Spiegel