Complaint Review: FEDEX

• Updated: Thu, December 26, 2013

• Reported By: Mike T. — San Diego California
FEDEX
San Diego, California USA

FEDEX Unable to deliver international shipment that they charged me $150.00, saying they are "too busy" San Diego California

I shipped a package from the San Diego area to the Phillippines on December 6, after being assured by the agent for the company that they would have it delivered "within 5 business days." It was a Christmas gift. I was charged $150.00, the international economy rate, for a package that weighed less than 5 pounds, and was smaller than and the box measured about 18x24 inches. It contained a tablet computer.

On December 13, the package arrived at Phillippine customs. It is still there. I have been told for the last 2 weeks by Fedex that they are waiting for the person in the Cebu, Phillippines office who is responsible for my package to "get back to them." When I pointed out that it was clear the person was not going to get back to them...after about 10 straight days of being told this, and suggested that they telephone that person or his supervisor, I was told "it wasn't done that way." They said they have sent several emails, and I would just have to wait.

On December 18, the recipient, my fiance, called the Fedex office responsible for delivering the package(at the Cebu airport). She was told she could come and pick up the package, provided she paid the person $25.00; because they were "too busy to deliver it." Now, I have repeatedly instructed Fedex that my account was to be charged any fees, and it is clearly in the notes. The person she spoke with acknowledged this. So, by paying some extortion money on the side...she could have her Christmas present.

I made Fedex aware of this, because in addition to saying they were waiting for their Cebu employee to contact them, they said it was the Phillippine government, not them, that was holding it up. They continued to say no one from the Phillippines would respond to their emails I should point out that the Fedex people I was speaking with were with the International division, the problem resolution unit called Summerset I-Cat, apparently part of some vice-president's unit. Needless to say, I have never been allowed to speak with the vice president.

On Monday, December 23, they changed their story. They told me the amount Customs would charge me, and said it should be delivered on the 24th. It wasn't. I was told the same thing on the 24th...that it would be delivered the 26th. It is the 26th in the Phillippines, and nothing has changed. Online tracking states "delay" just like it has for nearly 2 weeks now.

Granted, Customs can delay a package. But, one would expect that a company like Fedex has professionals employed who now how to deal with Customs and get a package cleared, especially for what they charge. Clearly they do...but you have to pay an extortion fee on the side. It's a 3 hour trip for my fiance to the airport...not to mention $25.00 is a lot of money to the average person in the Phillippines. However, that is apparently the only way she will receive the package. Obviously, Fedex pays their employees there a slave wage and they have to extort fees from recipients...otherwise they will never receive their packages.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/26/2013 03:08 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/FEDEX/San-Diego-California-92114/FEDEX-Unable-to-deliver-international-shipment-that-they-charged-me-15000-saying-they-1109912. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on FEDEX