Complaint Review: Fifth Third Bank

• Submitted: Sun, April 05, 2009
  • Updated: Tue, April 07, 2009

• Reported By:Dayton Ohio
Fifth Third Bank
5376 Taylorsville Road Huber Heights, Ohio U.S.A.

Fifth Third Bank Placing Hold on Account for No reason Huber Heights Ohio

*Consumer Suggestion: The bank is in the right

*Consumer Comment: Probably Legal

On Friday, April 3, 2009 went to the bank to deposit and receive cash back from check. The checking account has more than enough funds available than what I was requesting back.

The teller then comes back and says I am sorry we can't give you any money back because you have an outstanding balance on two accounts. That I just found a week ago from a collection agency and have already been paid and waiting on a statement from the collection agency stating it has been paid in full. I told the teller that this has already been paid and waiting on the statement and I would bring it in when received. The teller comes back and says we can't give you any money but you can deposit. Let me remind you this account is from 2004 and it now 2009 and I have been using the same bank and not had any problems until this past Friday, April 3, 2009. These accounts were suppose to be taken care of because i had filled a dispute against these overdrafts back and 2004 and apparently they were not taken care of and I was not notified. And I do not want this to go against on credit.

On Saturday, April 4, 2009 I went to withdraw funds from the ATM and it says not enough funds in the account it only has 0.13 available. I deposited $675 into the bank with still with a remaining balance of over $1000 with no pendings transactions.

The bank has put a freeze on my account until I show that this has been paid in full. Can they legally do this ? I don't think cause I have been using this account since 2003 until this past friday.

Sizemore
Dayton, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/05/2009 07:45 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fifth-Third-Bank/Huber-Heights-Ohio-45424/Fifth-Third-Bank-Placing-Hold-on-Account-for-No-reason-Huber-Heights-Ohio-440952. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fifth Third Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

The bank is in the right

AUTHOR: Unknown - (U.S.A.)

I am afraid that the bank is in the right especially if they are still showing that you owe them money. Until it is posted on the accounts the money that you paid, they can withhold your money to pay that funds off..If those accounts was in collections, why are you just being notified? Weren't you notified by the bank years ago that you had accounts in collections? And when was the last time that you had your credit bureau pulled..It is very wise to check it every 6 months for any mistakes..Also I would believe that you should of gotten calls from either the bank or the collection agency about these past due accounts..Yes, it is up to the bank to notify you, but you are also responsible for your own accounts and credit bureaus'..

Probably Legal

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

If they have a judgement against you, they can levy your account, but they have to notify you first. If they haven't, you probably need to act against the agency who cleaned out your account.

You may wish to open another account somewhere in the meantime.