Complaint Review: Firestone

• Submitted: Sat, December 11, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, December 21, 2010

• Reported By: Daniel — Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania U.S.A.
Firestone
9602 Bustleton Ave Philadelphia, Pennsylvania United States of America

Firestone Auto inspection rip off Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: Firestone is Crooked

*Consumer Comment: Not only Firestone,but.......

Took my daughter's car in for a state inspection. They said they could not do it despite charging me because the fuel filler neck was corroded. I authorized them to replace the part but I had to locate it myself and it took 2 weeks. The manager assured me this was setting off the check engine light and they would pass the car after I replaced it. After the part was replaced, they would not reset the light and wanted another $80 to do another computer diagnostic. I had already paind them over $300.00. I'd heard stories of Firestone charging for multiple unnecessary parts to pass a car for inspection. I then took the car to a reputable mechanic who inspected the car, found no problems and passed it. He said Firestone shouldn't haver even done a safety inpection since it was not ready for emissions testing. Once they replaced a part that was the obvious cause of the inability to pass emissions, they should have either reset the codes or given me a waiver and pass the car which they refused to do without additional money. I now paid for 2 inspections. When I went to discuss this, they kicked me out of the store. The original employee, Mathew who was very nice and made the assurances, had been transferred. A friend of mine had a similar experience and shelled out $1000 in new parts. The check engine light was still on but they finally passed it. This is obvi0usly a scam and I should get my inspection fees back since I got nothing for this.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2010 01:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Firestone/Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-19115/Firestone-Auto-inspection-rip-off-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-670540. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Firestone

Firestone is Crooked

AUTHOR: Laurie - (USA)

The automobile industry is among the most predatory, dishonest in the nation -- especially those businesses which are directly answerable to the leading automobile manufacturers.

Firestone is particularly pernicious. I took my car in for a routine check up at a different Firestone and in a different state from the one who identified here.

After the alleged check up was done I was told that my car needed $5000 worth of "emergency engine repair work." The manager then asked if I would approve of it.

When I reviewed the invoice, I saw that the manager had bundled in all sort of unrelated and irrelevant issues - including, for example, wind shield wipers. When I pointed this out, he laughed saying, "we are running a sale on them and thought you'd like a new pair."

Needless to say, the rest was not tied to engine work either. Firestone made it all up. My car was fine. Can you imagine running up $5000 of nonsense charges? For Firestone, such conduct is routine. Imagine how many marks pass through their hollowed walls. How many actually review the invoice -- or can tell one car part from another, or even whether the recommended repair is necessary.

Essentially you are relying upon the integrity of the mechanic and the business.

Firestone has no integrity. In fact, the corruption comes from the top. Store managers are encouraged to engage in said practices and rewarded for it. In fact, this store routinely received awards from the manufacturers -- for best store, etc.

Wonder why?

However, the average mechanic down the street who isn't subjected to these pressures will often give you an honest quote.

Avoid Firestone. They do not deserve your business.

Not only Firestone,but.......

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

Most repair shops do this that do inspections.  I never use shops for my inspections who also do repairs, just places that do safey/emission inspections ONLY.  Thanks to these mandatory inspections it's sets up everyone to be ripped-off in some way or another.