Complaint Review: First Merit Bank

2090 W State St New Castle, Pennsylvania United States of America
  • Phone: (724) 652-6651
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

First Merit Bank FirstMerit First Merit is no better than thieves! New Castle, Pennsylvania

*Consumer Comment: you post on ROR

*Author of original report: Two transaction was good

*Consumer Comment: Three demerits from FirstMerit

My bad experience with this bank started with an overdraft on two uses with my debit card on the same day.  By the end of that day my account was still in the positive.  The next day I again used my debit card and made a withdraw. I was sure  funds were deposited the night before.   Later that morning I discovered the error and understand I owe the bank the amount I had withdrawn and a $35.00 overdraft fee.  It wasnt til a few days later they told me I was also charged $70.00 for the two uses on my debit card the day before.

All of this caused a s****.>
My mother has an account in the same bank.  My name is on her account for emergency use only.  Today she went to take care of some transactions with her account and the bank refused to let her have any of her money until she paid a $1.78 to my account.  She would not agree to it until she found out she could not have her money or do any transactions with her account.  She finally agreed to pay the $1.78.  The bank teller told my mother she would be right back.  After a couple of minutes the woman returned saying my mother would have to put over $100.00 in to my account.  Considering my mother has automatic bill payments expected to go through soon she agreed to pay the amount over $100.00.

They not only stole money out of my account, they then held my mothers account hostage.  My mother and I are both done with this bank.  It is sad considering I have been with this bank for about 8 years and my mother has been with them for about 5 years.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/03/2013 10:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/First-Merit-Bank/New-Castle-Pennsylvania-/First-Merit-Bank-FirstMerit-First-Merit-is-no-better-than-thieves-New-Castle-Pennsylvan-990561. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on First Merit Bank

you post on ROR

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

now you must face useless rebutts from coast and his pals

Two transaction was good

AUTHOR: NewCastlePa - (United States of America)

The third transaction was my error and I have said I owed the bank for that.  The day before when I made two transactions with my debit card I had the funds in the bank and my balance was in the positive after both transactions was made.

Three demerits from FirstMerit

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You spent unavailable funds and then you withdrew funds that had not posted to your account. Yes, banks tend to penalize for that behavior.