• Report: #1082098

• Reported By: Matt — Castro Valley California
Fitness 19
4250 Rosewood Drive Pleasanton, California USA

Fitness 19 Impossible to Cancel Membership Pleasanton California

Fitness 19 bought this gym when it was still Express Fitness Center. I went in to the gym to cancel my membership and filled out their membership cancellation form. They've had posters on Rip Off Report referring to the "30 Day Cancellation Fee" but there was no such clause in my contract with Express Fitness Center when I originally signed my contract. As I had been into this particular location to cancel my membership before, told it would be cancelled and was billed the next month for my membership, I made sure to get their membership cancellation form.

In the cancellation form it vaguely states that they will charge the customer for another 30 days after the membership has been cancelled. When I went in originally to cancel my account, they charged me $34.00 for a "cancellation fee" of which I have a receipt for. A month later, they call me again asking me to update my payment information, meaning that they're still trying to charge me for services related to my cancelled account. Note that there was nothing in my original contract with Express Fitness Center about paying them for another thirty days after the account is closed, yet to have them fill out the cancellation form, they include the thirty day clause. Also, one of their employees called me asking for my debit card number AFTER they had already posted the $34.00 cancellation fee to my bank account saying that they were "missing the last digit of my debit card number".

On a side note, there is no contact information for Fitness 19 headquarters or customer service and apparently all transactions have to take place at the gym where you signed up at. This basically means that there's no way to escalate a complaint up to the corporate office when customers are being taken advantage of.

I'm going to go in once the thirty days is up and pay the extra fee, but I've never been to a place that's acted so nefariously when it comes to cancelling accounts. I'm keeping all of my receipts and other paperwork related to the cancellation process just in case they try to refer this to a collection agency. In my opinion, this is one organization which needs a class action lawsuit brought against them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/05/2013 06:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fitness-19/Pleasanton-California-94588/Fitness-19-Impossible-to-Cancel-Membership-Pleasanton-California-1082098. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fitness 19