Complaint Review: Fox Movers Inc.

• Submitted: Mon, April 01, 2013
  • Updated: Mon, April 01, 2013

• Reported By: Michael G. — Lake Forest Illinois
Fox Movers Inc.
4145 W. Kinzie CHICAGO, Illinois United States of America

Fox Movers Inc. Damaged My Furniture and Stole My Wife's Jewelry! CHICAGO, Illinois

Can you say nightmare? Fox Movers is the shadiest, most crooked moving company I have ever used. They moved me last week and everything that couldve gone wrong did!

First, I was scheduled to move at 8AM but they showed up a little after 10:45AM and never called to tell me they were running late. I called the office several times, but no one answered their business line. When they finally arrived, the movers acted like it was no big deal.  I told the driver they were more than 2 1/2 hours late and he looked at me like I was crazy and rolled his eyes. I should have taken that as a sign and turned them away right then. Unfortunately I didnt.

The guys were not professional movers and did not know what they were doing. None of my furniture was wrapped or protected and they damaged 6 valuable items including an antique china cabinet from London, my $2,600.00 60-inch plasma TV (totally ruined, wont even turn on), a one-of-a-kind handmade glass coffee table and a $1,300.00 mirrored bedroom dresser set.

Their website says they are insured, but when I called to file a damage claim, the owner Ruby Preston told me they are only liable for 10% of the value of my items and she tried to offer me $75.00 to settle the claim. I laughed at that. She told me if I file an official claim, they will deny that their movers broke any of my things and itll be my word against theirs. I retained an attorney this morning and we are going to take them to court.

In addition to all the damage, 2 expensive pieces of jewelry are missing from my wifes jewelry box. She placed it aside with her purse and I heard her specifically tell them not to touch her purse or the box before the move started. However, near the end of the move, we noticed that the jewelry box had been opened and a platinum diamond ring was missing along with a diamond bracelet from Paris. I confronted the movers and they denied taking them, so I called the office. Once again the owner gets on the phone and asks if we saw any of her guys take our jewelry. We told her we didnt witness it, but the items are missing and the jewelry box was open. She got the driver on the phone and asked him if he stole anything. He said no, so she gets back on with my wife and tells her that Fox Movers is not liable since we didnt actually see her employees steal anything. Are you kidding me?

This company is a piece of garbage. A total scam! Their website says theyve been in business for 88 years, but my lawyer did some digging and found out they are under totally new management and the new owners (Ruby Preston and her partners) are gypsies with questionable backgrounds. Biggest mistake Ive made in a long time.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2013 05:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fox-Movers-Inc/CHICAGO-Illinois-/Fox-Movers-Inc-Damaged-My-Furniture-and-Stole-My-Wifes-Jewelry-CHICAGO-Illinois-1039832. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fox Movers Inc.