Complaint Review: Fraserway RV

• Updated: Thu, February 14, 2013

• Reported By: Nadine — Abbotsford British Columbia Canada
Fraserway RV
30440 South Fraser Way Abbotsford, British Columbia United States of America

Fraserway RV Selling poor quality fifth wheels and not allowing returns Abbotsford, British Columbia

*Consumer Comment: So sorry

*UPDATE Employee: Fraserway RV

*Author of original report: it wasnt built properly in the first place

*General Comment: Industry Insider Comment

I bought a 38' fifth wheel with all the bells and whisltles from Fraserway RV for the purpose of living in it for the majority of the year. Since I was going to be living in this unit I asked the salesman to show me only quality units that also had a washer and dryer. The fifth wheel cost me $80,000 after all extra charges etc.
As soon as I signed on the dotted line the service has been terrible. But that is not the main issue.
The main issue is that I have discovered holes in the trailer. Holes large enough for cats and raccoons to get in.
These holes have caused a massive mouse infestation. These holes have caused loss of heat from trailer during winter months.
The mice were making nests in every storage compartment of the trailer. They were underneath my bed, in drawers, under the sink, inside my furniture. They also chewed through the duct work,  causing further heat loss from the trailer. My propane bills were between 300-400$ per month in the winter. The holes in the  trailer and in the duct work contributed to an episode of my pipes freezing in the trailer, which cost me $1250.
I have moved out of the trailer and am now renting a basement suite for $850/ month. Is is now the middle of July. Fraserway picked up my trailer on April 24th. They have had it nearly three months and fail to call me and update me on anything.
They have agreed to fix the holes in the trailer. They painted peices of plywood black and covered the holes. If you look in other trailers of even lesser price range, the storage compartments are all made of steel or fiberglass.
There is an additional long list of defects with the trailer including exposed wires, an underbelly that is not fully enclosed (even though it is advertised as such, hence the designated name of "Arctic Package")
I have went to the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority, but they can not help because it stems from a manufacturer issue. Anotehr governing authority that deals with manufacturer issues will not help me because they do not deal with fifth wheels. Consumer protection bc will not help me because they do not deal with fifth wheels.
Also, to make matters worse, I found out that the manufacturer has gone out of business.
I have asked that fraserway Rv take the fifth wheel back. They have refused. They have only agreed to make fixes. They say if I sell the RV it will sell for about $55,000. I would have to suffer a loss of $25,000.
I feel there is no recourse for rv dealerships. They could have sold me a trailer built out of mud and straw for $80,000 and there is nothing I can do about it. I'm being forced to either keep the piece of junk or lose $25,000.
This is so unfair. I want the public to know. I have been trying to contact media with no luck. I am really hoping this website will help me get the word out.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/08/2012 09:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Fraserway-RV/Abbotsford-British-Columbia-V2T-6L4/Fraserway-RV-Selling-poor-quality-fifth-wheels-and-not-allowing-returns-Abbotsford-Briti-908395. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Fraserway RV

So sorry

AUTHOR: ATOMANT - (Canada)

To the o/p I went thru a simular experience with an rv dealer in kelowna bc. First I will warn you that all the rv dealers are in cahoots with each other and to make a succesfull lawsuite you need an expert to make a report of the problems. I had a whole list of people in bc that said they would help me, but they all just screwed me around. They all charged a rediculous amount and either did a horrable job of a report, or made a report in the favor of the selling dealer. Honestly it was criminal.

I wound up hiring a expert from the USA to come look at the trailer and finally got a report my lawyer could use. The guy from Usa just told the truth, the experts from BC were not pleased with the new report and threatened to go to court to say I shopped for a report that suited my needs. I even asked the RV instructor in Kelowna college to help me and as it turned out he refused me and helped the rv dealer. I wound up getting some of my money back, but the whole experience was a nightmare. I know now what i should have done as the jail sentence in Canada for my reaction would have me back on the street in a few short years. And I would have been satisfied.

Fraserway RV

AUTHOR: General Mgr. - (Canada)

Fraserway RV acknowledges this customer and her concerns; we also feel it would be unprofessional and disrespectful to any customer to publicly share personal details of their purchase, their care of the unit they purchased, or their communications with our staff.

We stand behind all customers who purchase from Fraserway RV, and have gone far beyond our obligations in an absolutely sincere attempt to provide satisfaction for this customer.  We regret that this customer is disappointed, and that her disappointment is aimed at those who have worked hard to find solutions.

Should more information be required regarding this customers matter please contact the customer, and original author of this posting.  If you wish to know more of Fraserway RV and our continuing obligations towards all customers please feel free to contact the General Manager, and the author of this reply.  Thank you

it wasnt built properly in the first place

AUTHOR: Nadine - (Canada)

I agree with all of your comments if I was sold a unit that was built properly in the first place. However, there were unfinished areas that left large open holes in my storage areas. There were areas where pipes enter the trailer that were not spray foamed or anything. There was a hole that had been covered simply by redtape. there was another hole that was covered by simply placing a scrap piece of carpet on top of it.

This is not acceptable. I dont care what kind of warranties are in place. I should not have been sold this trailer.

#4 General Comment

Industry Insider Comment

AUTHOR: Bubba Lee - (Canada)

Wow

Fraserway has covered a lot more than they are required to.

No trailer is covered for mouse infestation, (or Raccoons or rats or Cats)

No under belly is sealed completely as it needs to breath to prevent mould etc.

If the manufacturer is out of business so is your warranty

The frozen plumbing is an issue that would have to be reviewed. Depending on the manufacturer the Arctic package and Extreme packages are miss-labeled and promoted by people that have no idea what Arctic conditions mean.

Fraserway should have offered advice on winter operation and from the complaint did not.

Your propane bill is pretty cheap all things considered, Its a trailer and is not insulated like a home. Have you had to replace the furnace motor yet, most fulltimers in Canada have to do this yearly.

As to updates from the service shop, when all you have is bad news and have to say no, its hard to get motivated to call the customer.

By the way, your trailer did not have a warranty that covered full time occupation in the first place. It is an RV and occupation over 90 days a year is grounds to cancel/void the warranty.

Good Luck but I wouldn't hold my breath that complaining will do any good, you are so far out of the warranty coverage allowed as to be uncoverable, and (In My Opinion) have no basis for a lawsuit.