Complaint Review: Gateway Energy

• Updated: Wed, September 18, 2013

• Reported By: Adam F — Newfield New Jersey
Gateway Energy
400 Rella Boulevard, Suite 300 Montebello, New York USA

Gateway Energy Services Gateway Raised my rates by 36% the month after I called to cancel my service with them. Salesman lied about pricing. Montebello New York

Gateway raised my rates by over 35% the month after I called to cancel my service. 9.77 cents/kWh in August - 13.29 cents/kWh in September.

A salesman from Gateway Energy came out and spoke with us around August of 2012. The salesman told us the rates would NEVER be higher than Atlantic City Electric so we gave them our business. For the first year, the price was about 0.5 cents/kWh cheaper than ACE.

My August 2013 bill was 0.72 cents higher (9.77 cents/kWh) than ACE (9.05 cents/kWh) so I called to find out why my rate went up. They told me that rate was only good for a year and the salesman will receive further training if he's still with the company. I asked them to cancel and they said I would have to call back another time to cancel.

I called back later that day and was finally able to cancel (or so I thought).I received my cancellation letter dated August 16th 2013 and thought all was well. [continued below]....

.....

I received my September bill and Gateway was still on there but now they are charging me 13.29 cents/kWh over 35% more than the month before. I've tried to talk to them but they are unwilling to lower the bill or help at all. I've filed a complaint with the Board of Public Utilities but haven't recevied a response from them.

I don't think it's right that a company can just make me pay an outrageous price, simply because I asked them to switch me back to the real electric company.

Their terms say that they would notify me in writing before any rate increase would take effect and that I would have the option to decline the rate increase and cancel my service. Further down it says if they don't notify me then that term doesn't apply. I really feel like I'm being Price Gouged by GATEWAY ENERGY in my opinion.

I would strongly recommend anyone looking for a 3rd party supplier for electric to look elsewhere.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/18/2013 11:51 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gateway-Energy/Montebello-New-York-10901/Gateway-Energy-Services-Gateway-Raised-my-rates-by-36-the-month-after-I-called-to-cancel-1085515. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gateway Energy