Complaint Review: GCU

• Updated: Thu, January 03, 2013

• Reported By: Rania.k — Murphy Texas United States of America
GCU
Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

GCU Grand Canyon University Fraud, care only about MONEY and nothing else, They pretend to be nice, friendly, and caring, fill your ears with LIES until u fall in the trap and can't get out but keep paying Phoenix Arizona

*Consumer Comment: Feel Your Pain

*Author of original report: No help yet from GCU

*Consumer Comment: Was there any attempt to actually resolve this by Grand Canyon University?

*UPDATE Employee: Resolution

*Consumer Comment: not cool when jeanski posts own reports

*Author of original report: Thanks Jeanski - Buffalo

*Consumer Comment: Rania

*Consumer Comment: awwww you hurt my feelings jeanski

*Author of original report: True but ....

*Consumer Comment: The Outlaw Moron

*Consumer Comment: don't you just luv the know it all

*Consumer Comment: comment

They lied to me at first saying that ALL my transferring credits has been accepted including my foreign credential transfers. during my first 2 years with them, they add one to 2 classes every once in a while saying "oh, sorry, we made a mistake, one of your foreign classes did not cover this required class and that required class" I stupidly stayed patient and trusted them. Then, after finishing my last class, paying my certificate printing fees, and almost going to the graduation ceremony, I waited 3 months to get my diploma by mail but yet got nothing. I contacted them and here was the big bomb, they made a mistake again and I had to do 16 hours more.

They made me wait 3 months for nothing, they didn't even bother to contact me about such disaster. I have 3 kids one is disabled with severe medical conditions, already got tons of stress and need to find a job ASAP. It has been 18 months now and yet nothing happened. I ended up with a $35,000 loan to FAFSA WITH NO DEGREE. I've still chasing them and all what I get is lies IF I hear anything from them.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/02/2012 09:44 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GCU/Phoenix-Arizona-/GCU-Grand-Canyon-University-Fraud-care-only-about-MONEY-and-nothing-else-They-pretend-964046. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GCU

Feel Your Pain

AUTHOR: GCU Masters Student - (United States of America)

I am at GCU too and everything you have mentioned as far as greed and lack of  care for students is true.  The lower member of the staff say they are treated poorly and this is risking their job on a recorded line.  My heart really goes out to you and I am sorry for your situation.  It is easy to be fooled by GCU because people who want to go back to school ASAP think they re making a good choice because of the continuous online start of programs.  I would contact whoever you can.  There is a lawyer I read about gathering information to help the people who have been crushed in the wake of this school.  I am very upset to see someone from GCU trying to contact you in order to get the last word in.  I am going to starting a group or possible private grievance and anger management forums.  People need to vent about these things because Grand Canyon University is expensive emotionally.  It is not about the money for me.  It is about straight forward , helpful, encouraging people, that should be the ones trying to get us onto our career.   I was an Academic Counselor at my old College and I worked hard with no incentive programs to help lead students towards graduation.  I will work on the legality of group work to vent out problems.

No help yet from GCU

AUTHOR: Rania.k - (United States of America)

I've been fighting and negotiating for over 15 months believe it or not!! wrote a letter to the dean, and to the English department, and to the appeal committee, and brought extra evidences, but all in vain. The result is I have to take the remaining classes anyways so there is no way for them to waive them for me. The only thing they think they gave me a "huge favor" is giving me the classes for free. Well, thanks for that but who would pay me for wasting one more YEAR at college?

Even thoughI told them I need to start by the beginning of Nov-2012, I swear they did not register me till today with any class saying that they are still working for me on what classes should I take!!!!!.

Was there any attempt to actually resolve this by Grand Canyon University?

AUTHOR: robert - (United States of America)

Was there any attempt to actually resolve this by Grand Canyon University? Just wondering.

Resolution

AUTHOR: GCUStudentResolutions - (USA)

Hi Rania
We're sorry to hear that you're frustrated and would like to help. Please send an email to our Student Resolution Office so they can advocate on your behalf to help achieve a resolution for you. The address is: resolutionteam@gcu.edu. Kindly detail your situation and someone will reach out to you to help resolve the issue.

not cool when jeanski posts own reports

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

come on who do you think you're fooling, a praise report. plain as the nose on your face who the op is

Thanks Jeanski - Buffalo

AUTHOR: Rania.k - (United States of America)

I would like to thank you for taking the time to advice and guide me. Please just disregard that other jerk who is just trying to interrupt and bother. We are here to get help and try to prevent this from happening to others.

Now I already filled up the registration form to start the school back for Nov 2012 and finish whatever I have left to get my degree. I have not registered yet for any class even though I was supposed to. I'll listen to you and request a formal letter/plan signed by the registrar to state the number and the courses required for me to graduate. I hope she'll respond to me soon. I'm afraid she's not returning my calls cause there may be new surprises.

Rania

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Your answer is what I thought it would be.  There are several issues happening to you simultaneously.  The first is your transfer credits.  Transferring from a foreign school is always tricky, and requires a great deal of knowledge and skill on the part of the evaluator. I suspect that GCU has a few people in the main office who do this.  Unfortunately, the advisors students usually speak to are just salesmen, whose only goal is to get or keep you enrolled. Thats it. They have little knowledge of the complexities of evaluating transfer credits. So while they may tell you your credits are accepted, they cant possibly know that until the evaluation is completed. Thats step one.

Then theres the issue of how many credits are accepted. All schools have a limit on what theyll accept, and it is determined, in part, by whether the school is American or foreign, and the accrediting body. Third issue is how the accepted credits are then applied towards your degree.  Lets assume your degree requires 120 hours of both specific courses and electives.  While GCU may accept all your foreign credit, it could be that only half of them are actually applied to your degree.  The remainder are just floating in your file, not doing a anything to help you graduate. Then, because we have both lower and upper level courses, they are applied differently. Your Shakespeare course is a good example. At my college, thats an upper level course. If you brought a foreign course in, I would only be able to give it to you as an elective, and youd have to take it again if it was required for your degree. Unless you went to a school in England or Germany (see what I mean? It gets complicated).  I know it sounds crazy, but most institutions have rules just as complicated as mine.

Texas is one of the few states that does not, in any way, regulate these kinds of schools or offer Texas residents a complaint process.  The only option left is to contact the accrediting body I wrote of before.

If I may offer some advice:
DO NOT enroll again with this school until they give you a degree plan IN WRITING SIGNED BY THE REGISTRAR.  Dont take an email, dont take a phone call, etc., from anyone other than the Registrar or his boss (usually the Vice President for Academics or Provost.  GET IT IN WRITING the courses that remain for degree completion.  Make sure t is signed by the REGISTRAR. Not his assistant, not an advisor or counselor, but the Registrar himself.  He is the one who certifies students for graduation. The advisors just do the paperwork (if that).

Unfortunately, transferring to another school is probably out of the question. Youll basically have to start all over again.

I hope your story will serve as a warning to other students considering these proprietary schools. Its particularly sad that they project themselves as a Christian University.  Id be embarrassed to work for them. The only way to stop this is to keep getting the word out on ROR and other consumer complaint boards.

awwww you hurt my feelings jeanski

must rebutt     must rebutt     must rebutt   must rebutt    must rebutt

meeting for rebutter anonymous is this weekend Please Attend feel sorry for the team they can't help themself

Meeting start at 7:00 AM and PM

When will you idiots learn you need help

True but ....

AUTHOR: Rania.k - (United States of America)

Thanks for your prompt response, I do appreciate that. When I signed up with them, they just said "we accepted all of your 92 transferring credits". They did not give me a written report describing how the transfer credit was applied to my degree requirements even though I asked for such thing 3 times. When I did not get a response, as a new and young foreign student, I thought that must mean that i have 28 credits more to go. About 18 months after starting with them they wanted me to retake classes that I already transfered saying that  what I transferred was accepted, (ie. I transferred in a Shakespeare class and they did not accept it to replace Shakespeare class at GCU after accepting it initially). I wrote a letter of appeal for that and it did not work so I retook it. They got me registered in an extra class and after I finished it and reviewed my credits myself I found out that it is not needed. Fortunately I was able to substitute it with another one after a long process of appeals and long waitings.

My last advisor(since they constantly change) and I reviewed and reviewed my remaining classes and set up a plan to finish by May 2011. finally finished, paid my diploma fees. I wanted to go to the graduation but couldn't at the last minute. Had to leave overseas and came back in 2 months and brought my disabled daughter back since I "finished studying". Called them right away to discover that they did a terrible mistake with me. As a number of credits, I have about 145 or more, but they do not have enough upper division classes to fulfill my degree requirements. I never heard of such expression (upper and lower division credits) before that time and now after my "supposed graduation" they're telling me about it and explaining and explaining as if I'm a stupid person. All what they did to satisfy me is have the advisor disciplined and they'll pay for the remaining classes. ( who pays for my time and who would take care of my children and my disabled one who I didn't bring back until I was sure that I finished school since she needs a close care 24/7).

I wrote a detailed letter of appeal (7 pages) to the English department and also sent it to the appeal committee but nothing worked. They apologized for their mistake of not giving me a detailed report of how my degree plan will be after my transfers but they denied to waive any credit hour for me.

I contacted my advisor about 2 months ago to tell her that I'm ready to start doing the 16 hours, she told me again there are few changes in the degree plan that may affect me again since I'm slow paced student. I said I wanted to start in November 2012 and reregistered myself again since I've been off since 18 months but yet not even registered.  I've been contacting her since 2 weeks both emails and voice messages but got no answer.
I was wondering if I report them to the state or something like that how I can do that.

The Outlaw Moron

AUTHOR: Jeanski - (USA)

Seriously, can you read? If so you would notice the following:

(1)  my comment wasn't a rebuttal at all. It was a "consumer comment".
(2)  everything I said is not only true, but offers the OP a way to address his complaint to the people who can do something about it
(3)  my comments were supportive in nature
(4)  I have more experience in higher ed than you do, and DO consider myself a "know it all" in the areas in which I have professional experience.  That's why I'm considered a professional, and paid accordingly.

Due to your repetitive and stupid comments, I think "Team Rebut" will just stick you in the same pile with Charls, Rita, and Karl.

You might as well get lost. You're not mature enough to be participating in these discussions.

don't you just luv the know it all

must rebutt     must rebutt     must rebutt   must rebutt    must rebutt
meeting for rebutter anonymous is this weekend Please Attend
feel sorry for the team they can't help themself

7. Information to the Public
As an administrator in higher education I am always appalled when this type of action is taken by another institution.  Did you receive anything in writing about how your transfer credit was applied to your degree requirements? This is typically called a "degree plan" and is usually considered a contract between the institution and the student.  Now that students are transferring a lot more, and given the constantly changing degree requirements almost all schools experience, the plan acts as a binding contract such that as long as you are continuously enrolled, they can't require you to fulfill changes in the degree that occur after you have matriculated.

GCU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.  I've included their information below.  You might try sending a certified letter to the Vice President for Academic Affairs at GCU, and reference this from the accreditation handbook:

1.1(c) paragraph 7. Information to the Public:
The institution makes public its statements of mission, vision, and values; full descriptions of its program requirements; its requirements for admission both to the institution and to particular programs or majors; its policies on acceptance of transfer credit, including how credit is applied to degree requirements; clear and accurate information on all student costs,
including tuition, fees, training and incidentals, and its policy on refunds; its policies regarding good standing, probation, and dismissal; all residency requirements; and grievance and complaint procedures.

The Higher Learning Commission (a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) accredits Grand Canyon University.

The Higher Learning Commission
North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504
Phone: 312.263.0456
Toll-free: 800.621.7440

Don't give up!  Good luck.