• Report: #1072098

• Updated: Thu, August 01, 2013

• Reported By: Amy — San Diego California
GEICO
San Diego, California USA

GEICO Someone maliciously committed fraud and they are fine with it. San Diego California

My policy was started by my ex-husband last year when I was deployed. He gave them his contact information, email, phone number, etc. Three months into a six month divorce, he called geico to change my address to an address that did not exist. He left all of the account information with his contact info though. I am military, so I was unable to cancel his share of the insurance since I am obligated to financially take care of him until the divorce is final and he is able to refinance the car out of my name. But since everything was automatically being taken out of my checking account, I did not question the status of the policy. Plus, I changed my address with the post office so I figured I would still get any important documents. WRONG! They sent a piece of paper stating "We have on record that your address is [insert wrong address here].If this is incorrect, fill in the correct address and return it to us." But it would have kept being returned to them since the address does not exist. They may or may not have called or emailed my ex, I have no way of knowing. On June 21st, they sent out a letter saying since I never returned the paper, my insurance would be dropped on July 5th. I never received that either. On July 20, I was 100% innocent in a car accident. The other driver was ticketed as being 100% at fault. I went to geico.com, filed a claim, put in all my information, submitted everything and it was accepted. As an afterthought, I saw that the phone number listed for me was wrong so I tried to change it. I also saw that the address on file was wrong so I updated the information and when I tried to save it, I was FINALLY redirected to a screen telling me that my insurance had been cancelled two weeks prior. They are now refusing to even look into my claim, will not request that the at-fault driver's insurance fix my car, because my ex-husband gave them the wrong address and they never bothered to call or email or anything before they cancelled my policy. After fighting with them for the last 2 weeks, they even admit tha they KNOW he called to change it, they just do not care. These people are running a scam. Who cancels someones policy and still charges them for it, even knowing that they were maliciously given wrong information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/01/2013 10:59 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GEICO/San-Diego-California-92105/GEICO-Someone-maliciously-committed-fraud-and-they-are-fine-with-it-San-Diego-California-1072098. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GEICO