Complaint Review: General Electric

• Updated: Tue, May 17, 2011

• Reported By: geclassaction? — Hudson Valley New York United States of America
General Electric
3135 Easton Tpke, Fairfield, CT Fairfield, Connecticut United States of America

General Electric Wanted: Members for Class Action Suit for defective product! Let's tell them we're not going to take it! Fairfield, Connecticut

*Consumer Comment: We have the same problem

*Consumer Comment: A warranty has a "period" for a reason..

*Consumer Comment: We're missing the point???

*Consumer Comment: Interesting

*Consumer Comment: "Pride" does not pay the bills..

*Author of original report: You are missing the point...

*Consumer Comment: BREAKING NEWS: General Electric is linked to the Federal Reserve!

*Consumer Comment: The assistand is right.

I purchase a GE profile refrigerator in 2007 - French Door, bottom drawer freezer - Model PFS22SISBSS.

I have seen others report the same issue and believe that GE is manufacturing junk, doing the bare minimum to satisfy the warranty and GETTING AWAY WITH IT at our expense.

I don't klnow about you, but I have paid WAYY too much money for this refrigerator to not get more than 5 years out of it and I am not going down without a fight.

Don't even bother calling Consumer Relations, they have NO power to help.  I've talked to Gary Mantooth, Assistant to the Chairman and he offered me nothing more than what Consumer Relations had....  I told them I was going to reach out for my State's Attorney General's office and he basically told me "good luck with that.  The answer is going to come back the exact same as I just told you."  Can you believe the lack of care and SMUG attitude from the CEO's office?  You know what they say - the fish stinks from the head down! Our ONLY option seems a class action.

So, PLEASE reply to this post if you've had the same problems with this product (or similar).  French Door, bottom drawer freezer - Model PFS22SISBSS:

--intermittent cooling - the temp just goes up randomly, then temp randomly goes back to where it should be

--you've had service to replace the motherboard

--you've had service to replace the condenser

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/03/2010 10:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/General-Electric/Fairfield-Connecticut-/General-Electric-Wanted-Members-for-Class-Action-Suit-for-defective-product-Lets-tell-658041. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on General Electric

We have the same problem

AUTHOR: anonymous - (USA)

We purchased our french door bottom freezer ge profile in October 2009.  By the summer of 2010, we were noticing that milk was spoiling periodically, but the fridge temp showed it was the correct temp.  We had an issue with the freezer and when the repairman came, i mentioned my question about the temp.  I had bought a cheap thermometer from the grocery store that showed variable temps, sometimes way over 40 degrees.  The repairman said that the door temp was accurate. I assumed that it was just that i wasn't watching the milk.  But the problem got worse and food was spoiling.  I finally called for a repair.  Unfortunately it was 13 months after we bought it and GE didn't care to help us.  I think it was the motherboard that was replaced.  The repairman wound up not charging us because the parts department botched the order.  It's been about six months and i'm now seeing the same problems again.

A warranty has a "period" for a reason..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..and that reason is.. nothing lasts forever. So unless a product has a lifetime warranty..you purchase a product and are subject to the same waranty period as anyone else who purchases the same product.

I had a Ford Mustang I purchased new PLUS an extended warranty. The clutch quadrant (trans) went bad 2 weeks after the warranty period expired. They would not cover it.

Yes, I was upset but how can I argue the point that when the warranty period is expired, the product is no longer covered. It is too simple of a logic to argue. Sure I could lodge complaints all over about how bad Fords are...but I don't think the transmission was designed with intent to go bad two weeks after the warranty expired. I just had bad luck. I understand moving parts, as well as electronics simply do not last forever regardless of pride or quality control.

I am sure most customers did not have the trans go bad after 2 weeks..may have been two years...ten years,..or two days. Still the same point...warranty expired, no recourse, such is life. If the part had gone bad two weeks and ONE day prior, I would have been covered.

We're missing the point???

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

I aim to prove that the product is defective by the sheer number of folks that have the exact same issue and that is the point."

That's the point?    I don't think anyone here disagreed with you on that point.  It's a perfectly valid point.     The point we were trying to make is that warranties address defects for a stated period of time and then they end.   You can "prove" a product is defective til the cows come home, but that's not going to change the fact that the manufacturer is no longer obligated to fix it.

Interesting

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

Was listening to the radio the other night on the way home and the guy was talking about how the British Parliament was trying to enact immigrant quotas due to THEIR high unemployment and how the CEO of GE was trying to interfer with any enactment of any quotas because it would decrease the number of low wage immigrants working in GE plants in GB. All those GE jobs that went overseas from the U.S. and now they're trying to keep wages low in GB. The CEO of one U.S. company closes plants in here in the U.S. and ships the jobs overseas, contributes to the high unemployment HERE and then attempts to interfer with steps to curtain high unemployment in another country. And they still make crappy freezers, fridges and washers. What's wrong with this picture?

"Pride" does not pay the bills..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..yes there was a time when pride meant something. Everything is made in China these days just about. How much pride does the 12 year old boy working "quality control" have?

Okay I may be exaggerating. There is NO more quality control...the 12 year old assembles the fridge or whatever and it ends up in your home.

It has a warranty. The warranty has an expiration date. Call me a liberal, a conservative or a Buddhist..does not matter. Warranty up..no recourse. EVERY single consumer these days is subject to a product going bad or defective after the warranty period expires..and EVERY one of us..is screwed if/when this happens. So..we buy a new one or go without.

You are missing the point...

AUTHOR: geclassaction? - (United States of America)

Call me a liberal, but what happened to being proud of the product you've produced and standing behind it? The product is DEFECTIVE.  It is not okay to limp it along to the warranty expires and then say "I gotcha."  I aim to prove that the product is defective by the sheer number of folks that have the exact same issue and that is the point.

BREAKING NEWS: General Electric is linked to the Federal Reserve!

AUTHOR: Karl - (USA)

Anyone can 'Google' this- WHO OWNS THE FED?, and go to the site with the 5 charts and see that General Electric appears in 'Chart 3' and in 'Chart 5', correct?

*************************** BANK/MORTGAGE ALERT *************************

*Make sure to visit the BANK OF AMERICA page of this site and the MERRILL LYNCH page and read the Ripoff Reports for valuable information if you have a bank account and a mortgage.

The assistand is right.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"GE is manufacturing junk, doing the bare minimum to satisfy the warranty and GETTING AWAY WITH IT"

So, they satisfied the warranty.  That's what they were obligated to do.

"but I have paid WAYY too much money for this refrigerator to not get more than 5 years out of it and I am not going down without a fight."

Does the warranty last more than 5 years?   If not, then the assistant to the CEO was correct.  Good luck with that.

Bottom line, the manufacturer is responsible for repairing defects throughout the warranty period.  When that is up, you're on your own.   My guess is that you're expecting them to fix something outside the warranty period because you are unhappy with the product.  That's probably not going to happen.  Unless you left something out of your initial report, I don't see any point in wasting the AG's time on this.  What law has GE broken?

I have no doubt that they sold you a problem refrigerator.  Every large company comes out with a stinker every now and then.  No harm in letting the world know about it.  Just don't expect them to bend over backwards for you once the warranty has expired.  Warranties are written with time limits for a reason.