Complaint Review: Ghost Mountain Resort

• Updated: Wed, May 15, 2013

• Reported By: Joe — Modesto California
Ghost Mountain Resort
5560 Badger Hill Rd Pollock Pines, California USA

Ghost Mountain Resort Discriminated against me by not allowing me to become a member because I did not make at least $40,000 per year. Even though I won a prize of $1,000 in camping an a $750 7" android tablet I can not redeem it because I don't make enough money per year! I can't even take my family camping there. I accuse this company of false advertising and Discrimination. Pollock Pines California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Tour of facilities...

*General Comment: Income is not a protected class

*Consumer Comment: Read the Details of participation

*Consumer Suggestion: Enforcement

On 5/15/2013 I received a brochure from Ghost Mountain Ranch Resort owned by Colorado River Adventures and a ticket inside the brochure. I scratched the ticket and am a winner. I won $1,000 in camping and a $750 android tablet. I called the number and spoke with a lady by the name of Barbara from the sales office and she asked me a series of questions. One of the questions was if "I made at least $40,000 per year as a combined income", when I answered "no" to that question I was told that I cannot take my family there to camp or even qualify to become a member! I was upset because my wife and her family used to be members at the same resort about 30 years ago, when it was owned by another company.

I am acusing Barbara and Colorado River Adventures of false advertising and discrimination. All I wanted to do was become a member so I can take my family there to enjoy the outdoors and I was denied because I don't make enough money! How rediculous is that? They falsely advertised a prize that they said would be reedemable but then said no when I called them! I would like to file suit against them for these things because not only do I have proof of these wrong doings but I know this is against the law. [continued below]....

..... These people need to be held accountable for their lawlessness and violating the constitution by discriminating against some one because of their income and by false advertising!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/15/2013 12:39 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ghost-Mountain-Resort/Pollock-Pines-California-95726/Ghost-Mountain-Resort-Discriminated-against-me-by-not-allowing-me-to-become-a-member-bec-1051169. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ghost Mountain Resort

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Tour of facilities...

AUTHOR: cleanerman - ()

I recently took a tour of their facilities in Pollock Pines. I foud the people to be very courteous and informative.

The purpose of the 40k requirement is to insure you can afford their memberships. They are a little pricey...8' to 20k depending on the level of you purchase.

FYI...anty organization can set guidelines for their promotions. The information one receives in the mail is just that a "promotion"....

You may want to take your family camping...and are free to do so...there are 100's of campinf sites throughout this country.

Sorry but these people did not discriminate against you. There are another 150 million people out there that do not generate 40k per year in revenues and are not married woth a family. The reality is that if you're not making 40k per year and you have a family...you can't afford to take them traveling around the country and outside the country to their various sites on the west coast and Mexico. I went as a single person and was given a tour and offered several packages for the membership.

I did not tell them this as I did not want to taint the experience but I went with the sole purpose of writing about the experiecnce and the "Ghost" part in our company blog. See the story tomorrow 6/29/14 on our blog Aladay LLC...

However, in commerce you as a company can set guidelines for your promotions and memberships...In addition with the guidelines written on the promotional material delivered through the US Postal Service there is no "False" advertising involved.

You should have said you made 45k and went on the tour and got your goddies...that is what numerous people do...You allowed your good integrity and character to become a hinderance to receiving what you feel you won.

Tip of the hat to you for your honesty in this situation as many have and will continue to take advantage of the promotion that do not come anywhere near the 40k requirement.

#2 General Comment

Income is not a protected class

AUTHOR: Rob - ()

I too, received a similar invitation in the mail with the lotto ticket.  The printed information does say that the offer is for couples only, with a minimum annual income of $40,000 ages 30-75.  You would probably have a greater chance of a discrimination charge if you were denied access due to your age falling outside the the 30-75 year requirement.  Income discrimination is not a protected category and as such, is not against the law.

Read the Details of participation

AUTHOR: Doug - ()

I too recieved a invitation to Ghost Mountain. On the back it has the details of participation that states  that the program is for those with a minimum annual income of $40,000, ages 30-75. If you want to be a member look at the resale websites for Ghost Mountain Resort. I found over 15 units for sale.

#4 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Psiborg - ()

Contact the consumer protection Bureau in Sacramento, and if this contest originated or ended on a wesite you will want to contact the FTC.

Here is their contact info:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/     - file complaint and ask to speak with someone regarding the complaint, as well as how to file complainta against travel agencies and vacation resorts.

http://www.ftc.gov/          - click on the consumer protection tab.

if they accepted any money from you file a report with law enforcement in your area. Consumer protection may advise you to seek an attorney for possible damages.

Best of luck...don't let this just go away or they will continue to rip off hard working people with families, make them explain their actions and pay for any wrong doing...they may be fined or have licenses to operate revoked or suspened if an investigation sides with you.