Complaint Review: Giant Eagle

Giant Eagle
4453 Liberty Ave. Vermilion, Ohio USA

Giant Eagle Metabank, Visa, PayPower Visa prepaid card Vermilion Ohio

*UPDATE Employee: Sorry for the mix-up

My neighbor gave me a Giant Eagle reloadable prepaid Visa card for $20 as a gift for some work I did for them. They just gave me the card, removed from it's packaging, which I later read when looking at 1 in the store after the problem we encountered. The package the card came in states fees on the back, including a $6.95/mo. maintenance fee, and states it is not a gift card, although the receipt for purchase of the card, which my neighbor still had and I saw after I told them of the problem,  states "Gift card activation" and "Gift card $20.00".

My wife went to use the card 6 weeks after we got it, as usual, we had shopped at the store many times, always forgetting to use it. When she went to use it, it would not register. the clerk said that it had to be activated. My wife got out of line, called PayPower to activate it. when she went back to pay for the purchases with the card, $13.05 was credited from the card. When she asked the clerk why not the $20, the clerk said she didn't know. My wife said she would go to the customer service desk and inquire, another clerk came over and told her she would have to call the number on the card. My wife asked if other's had the same problem, and the clerk said yes.

After calling PayPower later, she was told of the $6.95 monthly maintenance fee deducted as it was over a month the card was used after it was purchased.

In short, my neighbor's fault for buying a card with these fees, and mine for not using it sooner. But really, you give them free use of your money from the time of purchase of the card until the time you use it, people not using all of the money on the card and losing the card and forgetting to replace it, on top of the fees chipping away at your balance. And add in the potential for anyone to be able to get the numbers off of the cards hanging on the racks in the stores and accessing the accounts after they are purchased and money loaded on to them by someone else.

My only recourse, I'm not shopping at Giant Eagle anymore (Go Meijer's and Aldi!), and I have cancelled my Visa card.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/24/2013 03:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Giant-Eagle/Vermilion-Ohio-44089/Giant-Eagle-Metabank-Visa-PayPower-Visa-prepaid-card-Vermilion-Ohio-1094228. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Giant Eagle

Sorry for the mix-up

AUTHOR: Paypower Customer Support - ()

PayPower and other Prepaid Visa Debit cards or "General Purpose Reloadable" cards (GPR) are not gift card and do have monthly maintenance fees.  PayPower is proud to offer some of the lowest fees in the industry.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sincerely,