Complaint Review: GMSphere Air

• Updated: Sat, July 27, 2013

• Reported By: Stephanie — Sunnyvale California
GMSphere Air
970 Almaden Lake San Jose, California USA

GMSphere Air GMS GMSphere GMS HVAC Gino Nicolas Eugene Nicolas Marina Nicolas Train wreck of asbestos contamination, furnace mutilation, ruining worker's health, creating firetrap of code violations San Jose California

I'd like to save other homeowners the same experience I had.  While I was getting my kitchen remodelled, I asked my GC if he could also address my heating problems which included a chronically freezing back bedroom.  He agreed and brought in Gino Nicolas of GMSphere Air who proposed a new furnace and replacement of ducts.

Long story short, Gino and his crew were a train wreck in a white logo van.  They demolished all my asbestos-covered ducts in the crawlspace without any mitigation whatsoever, despite state law requiring extensive mitigation for a project of this scale (over 400 sq ft of duct surface).  The crew then dragged all the debris through my house and garage, contaminating those spaces with clouds of fine, asbestos-containing dust.  Only at the curb were the crushed ducts finally hosed down into the gutter to "remove" the dust.

The asbestos was by far the biggest problem, but even for the basics the crew were sloppy and incompetent.  The large furnace they selected couldn't fit into my existing utility closet, so they cut off a panel, disconnected some gas lines, shoved the thing in sideways, and beat it into position.  It is unserviceable (e.g. for electronics) unless someone is willing to repeat the above process in reverse.  They also violated p. 25 of the installation manual by cutting an 18" x 18" hole in the side to create a new mixing chamber.  The old furnace was old, but it sat so tidily in its little closet.  The new one looks like vandals beat it with wrenches and tagged it with the blue adhesive compound.  Many details of the installation were done wrong according to a more experienced heating tech from another company who I paid to inspect the whole mess.

Their visible ductwork (in the garage) was extremely sloppy.

My final resolution was to order GMSphere off the job.  Contractors who don't have a CSLB rating of ASB (as GMSphere does not) are effectively unlicensed on any job where they remove more than 150 sq ft of asbestos.  Therefore, I informed GMSphere I won't be paying them a dime.  And I haven't heard a peep from them since then.

I'm using the money I would have paid them to test air quality ($375 so far), perform partial cleanup ($1808 so far), and have competent inspections ($150 so far).  I have more testing, inspection and most likely hazmat cleanup in my future, too.

FINAL NOTE:  Homeowners definitely need to look out for GMSphere, but I feel even worse for his crew, because of the chronic exposure to asbestos they are doubtless receiving.  I hope they can protect themselves with personal protective gear in some way because I sense that Gino will never improve his procedures.  Asbestos exposure at this level is basically mesothelioma waiting to happen.....a very unpleasant and avoidable illness.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2013 01:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/GMSphere-Air/San-Jose-California-95123/GMSphere-Air-GMS-GMSphere-GMS-HVAC-Gino-Nicolas-Eugene-Nicolas-Marina-Nicolas-Train-wreck-1070594. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on GMSphere Air